Custom Map #3053: Nobody Is Safe from Sorrontis. By: Sorrontis

Started by AutoPost, January 18, 2016, 12:06:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #3053: Nobody Is Safe from Sorrontis

Author: Sorrontis
Size: 128x84

Desc:
The promised map :) I'm sorry for the long time since my last map. Again, there's the #Surprise tag, you will rage quit a few times. I do it out of love. #Sorrontis #Spores #CRPL #Surprise

Sorrontis

I've got goosebumps. Who's going to be the first to get angry at me :P

Spoiler

So, by now, you've noticed you can't pause... and if you press P too many times, the game goes into meteorite mode. Don't do that. Also, if you save and load, the game goes into meteorite more, don't do that either. For those who understand how CRPL works, you'll notice that by the way I designed the meteorite mode, it is technically possible to load a saved map, ONCE. Only once. Use it well. Or don't use it at all. I'm not the police.

Also. Mines! And Popup Emitters! And Chaos Spores, Chaos Emitters, Anti-Nullifier defenses. Sorry, not sorry :)
[close]
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

D0m0nik

Welcome back, I think  ;)

The lack of a pause or save function makes it really challenging/ frustrating as every time you experiment or try something new you have to restart as your base gets wiped. Might be a step too far! It is especially frustrating if you do not know what you did wrong and accidentally make the same mistake again.
I'm gonna have a break, drink some tea, book an appointment with a shrink, and then try again.

Sorrontis

I'll have you know, I myself rage quit 3 times. I forgot what was what, since I made the map about a month ago, but just finally got around to playing it. That's why you have to approach each emitter as if its really dangerous.

I won't be using that function again. It was just a "fun" little trial to see what I can do with CRPL.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

D0m0nik

I love the danger element of your random destruction maps, I play them with the kind of apprehension you get with a really scary film. Its enjoyable but it's also kind of painful!

This one forced me to be extremely careful and for once I turtled down and got ready before pushing forward.

Sorrontis

I'm currently working on my new type of random destruction.

Johnny Haywire

Dude, I absolutely LOVE this map. Definitely one of my favorites. Even though I'm used to not pausing or saving games I found it pretty challenging and it got the best of me on my first try as soon as I attempted to nullify the first emitter. I should've known! And since all your games seem to have a "surprise" waiting when you kill the last emitter, on my second run I soaked the entire map in AC and filled it all up with weapons before I attacked the last emitter. Just in case.

The only thing I might change - and I dunno if this is even possible - to merely limit the pauses to maybe 3-4. Wife needed my help right in the middle of the game and thankfully I was pretty turtled so it lasted long enough (whew!).

Spoiler
If you don't already know the hotkeys, learn them before playing this map. You'll be needing R7 and a lot of E3 action, etc.  Sorrontis' mod makes this effectively a RTS game, and if you have to look at controls you might just die. Use the force and feeeeeel the hotkeys. Let them flow through you! Oh, and go slow and verrrry defensively!
[close]

Excellent work dude! I hope others will use your mod (if that's ok with you!)

You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

Sorrontis

Quote from: Johnny Haywire on January 18, 2016, 05:55:46 PM
Spoiler
Dude, I absolutely LOVE this map. Definitely one of my favorites. Even though I'm used to not pausing or saving games I found it pretty challenging and it got the best of me on my first try as soon as I attempted to nullify the first emitter. I should've known! And since all your games seem to have a "surprise" waiting when you kill the last emitter, on my second run I soaked the entire map in AC and filled it all up with weapons before I attacked the last emitter. Just in case.

The only thing I might change - and I dunno if this is even possible - to merely limit the pauses to maybe 3-4. Wife needed my help right in the middle of the game and thankfully I was pretty turtled so it lasted long enough (whew!).

Spoiler
If you don't already know the hotkeys, learn them before playing this map. You'll be needing R7 and a lot of E3 action, etc.  Sorrontis' mod makes this effectively a RTS game, and if you have to look at controls you might just die. Use the force and feeeeeel the hotkeys. Let them flow through you! Oh, and go slow and verrrry defensively!
[close]
[close]

Excellent work dude! I hope others will use your mod (if that's ok with you!)

Perfectly happy with people using my work for fun. We're all here in this together. Thanks for the compliment

As for the pause limit. Yes. I can do that.

Johnny Haywire

Cool! I actually just finished playing it for a third time and got a better time... I'm not used to having the fastest time, heh heh.  8)

(Probably won't last too long)

Sorrontis

TLFP

I didn't rage quit at all. I relaxed and said to myself You can try and beat this later when the creeper decides to be nice to you and not kill you at all. Translation: I'm slightly stuck.
Currently ghosting, don't mind me.
Christian, my list of various content creation groups can be found here

Sorrontis

Ha!

Well, I did it by clearing the minefield (directly south), destroyed the central emitter once that's done. Then took control of the empty plane to the left of the main base. Next destroyed  the spore tower at the bottom, followed by the one in the top left. Then finished off by destroying the last 2 emitters. Also, put bertha on a PZ. I placed her on the first PZ I got.

Johnny Haywire

The trick is to move fast, but not TOO fast. The slower you go, the more resistance you'll meet. I recommend building nothing but energy to start (collectors, then reactors) then at the last possible minute use all that energy to build weapons. Be sure to add a beam or two every minute or two. Then I followed the path that Sorrontis used. Terps can help, and be sure to advance your beams and basically just advance as quickly as you can while being strong and safe. Good luck!

Jerdog

My favorite thing about Sorrontis maps?   I can completely skip them. 

Don't get a big head though.  I've been skipping pastor.healer's for longer.

Sorrontis

Quote from: Jerdog on January 18, 2016, 10:23:14 PM
My favorite thing about Sorrontis maps?   I can completely skip them. 

Don't get a big head though.  I've been skipping pastor.healer's for longer.

Ha! I'll take that as a compliment :P