How do you make unit textures? (RESOLVED)

Started by TLFP, January 11, 2016, 02:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLFP

Question in title.
Currently ghosting, don't mind me.
Christian, my list of various content creation groups can be found here

J

I guess you already made them and need to import them. There is a button in the editor that says 'Custom images' (in the units tab). Click it and you have a ton of slots to import your images to. To use them, edit a crpl core and change the image to the slot you selected, or use the SetImage command in crpl.

TLFP

Quote from: J on January 11, 2016, 02:46:56 PM
I guess you already made them and need to import them. There is a button in the editor that says 'Custom images' (in the units tab). Click it and you have a ton of slots to import your images to. To use them, edit a crpl core and change the image to the slot you selected, or use the SetImage command in crpl.
Actually I need to make them not import them because otherwise I'll be stuck using wiki repository images not custom ones(Which I'll make myself).  ;)

J

In that case, just use any image editor you want and make sure you save the image to a location where you can find it. I have no experience making images myself.

TLFP

Quote from: J on January 11, 2016, 03:06:15 PM
In that case, just use any image editor you want and make sure you save the image to a location where you can find it. I have no experience making images myself.
I've tried that but I keep asking myself, "Why do people always have such good custom unit textures?"
Usually they don't end up looking like I want them to because mostly I just want to edit and fill with a different color and they're 200+ pixels so I end up filling 1 pixel. :-\ And if I use the line feature on most programs I end up with a not perfect lines all over it unit texture. I also have no idea how Virgil made his textures so good. If I did, I wouldn't have this question.

Nicant

Quote from: TheLongFellowPLAYER on January 11, 2016, 03:13:17 PM
I've tried that but I keep asking myself, "Why do people always have such good custom unit textures?"
Usually they don't end up looking like I want them to because mostly I just want to edit and fill with a different color and they're 200+ pixels so I end up filling 1 pixel. :-\ And if I use the line feature on most programs I end up with a not perfect lines all over it unit texture. I also have no idea how Virgil made his textures so good. If I did, I wouldn't have this question.
I make my  textures by tracing another texture and painting it a different color. For example the creep bertha texture, I downloaded the original bertha texture and painted it blue. Also make sure your texture is a PNG file, if not then you can go on a website that converts the file. I hope this helps.  :)
CW4 hype!!

TLFP

Quote from: Nicant on January 11, 2016, 03:36:38 PM
Quote from: TheLongFellowPLAYER on January 11, 2016, 03:13:17 PM
I make my  textures by tracing another texture and painting it a different color. For example the creep bertha texture, I downloaded the original bertha texture and painted it blue. Also make sure your texture is a PNG file, if not then you can go on a website that converts the file. I hope this helps.  :)
Is there an easy way of tracing it, because I don't want it looking like black spaghetti.

GameGibu

If you are trying to make something new, try doing concept sketches by hand first.
However if you are trying to recolor an existing unit, that's a bit more involved. Well, a lot more involved... :-\

I'd be happy to help you with unit icons since I'm a bit of a graphic artist myself. All I would need to know is the purpose, color scheme, size and function.

-GameGibu
Bringing you Custom maps since 2971!
☆CRPL Master☆

TLFP

Quote from: GameGibu on January 11, 2016, 04:34:46 PM
If you are trying to make something new, try doing concept sketches by hand first.
However if you are trying to recolor an existing unit, that's a bit more involved. Well, a lot more involved... :-\

I'd be happy to help you with unit icons since I'm a bit of a graphic artist myself. All I would need to know is the purpose, color scheme, size and function.

-GameGibu
All I need is to recolor a texture.

J

Most more-than-paint editors have an option to recolor (or change the hue) of the entire picture. I usually use the built-in sprite editor of gamemaker to create/edit images which has this option (and things like black&white, resize, sharpen, buttonize). I hope it's available somewhere as standalone image editor :P

Asbestos

TLFP

Quote from: Asbestos on January 11, 2016, 07:19:24 PM
Changing hue on paint.net:

I have a program that can do that, but it wants JPG file textures, not PNG.

Asbestos

What on earth kind of image editor are you using that needs JPG to change the hue? Save the image as a JPG and then use it.

Nicant

I actually never thought of changing the hue. Well, looks like my next sleeper will have updated graphics! :D
CW4 hype!!

planetfall

Though I've never used it for this purpose, it may be useful to create a vector image in something like Inkscape and then export it as a PNG. That way you can fiddle with exact scales and gradients and whatnot without having to touch any filthy pixels directly. That would likely be useful for making images in a similar style to the CW3 ones. However, I made all the graphics for my custom maps in paint-equivalents and they didn't turn out too awful, but they did take quite a while to make even with generous copy-paste.
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.