Custom Map #2996: Creeper's Causeway. By: GameGibu

Started by AutoPost, January 03, 2016, 07:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #2996: Creeper's Causeway

Author: GameGibu
Size: 128x64

Desc:
Hello All, I've been working all day on the scripts for this map. Enjoy! -GameGibu #noBackdoor #GameGibu #original #CRPL #spores #runners #digitalis #terrain #custom #details

GameGibu

Really, no replies? I thought this map was great!
Oh well, maybe it's so good that nobody has any constructive criticism to give.

Nah. ::)

Maybe I should check its current rating, last time I checked it was a 9.

-GameGibu
Bringing you Custom maps since 2971!
☆CRPL Master☆

Loren Pechtel

What's so hard about it?  Your base is only under light spore threat.   The cannons keep the creep in check where they are aimed.

A minor annoyance--they fire even if there is no target.

pastor.healer

GameBibu, I thought it was a fun map.  You probably don't need to look for self praise though... 

Keep up the great job!

GameGibu

Yeah I'm trying to write my own complete sleeper script because I had an Idea. So my next map will be that or something with heavy scripting. But I'm loving this game. Maybe I'll do another remix of a map and unlock all the functionality of my cannons in it.

So many choices...
-GameGibu
☆CRPL Master☆

Johnny Haywire

I'm currently doing the map. I am going to figure out which hotkeys control the cannons so I can aim them. I realize I might need to first make the hotkeys so I'm currently soaking my keyboard in boiling waAAAAAAAAAAHHHH
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

GameGibu

The cannons are not fully functional in this map, but they serve their purpose just fine. If I were to make the cannons aimable, I  would have to change the texture. And that sparks another question: can I have one unit with several layers of separate images? Cause that could help immensely with the aiming once I finish it.

So many good Ideas...
-GameGibu
☆CRPL Master☆

Johnny Haywire

Ok, I finished the map and learned a few things about boiling water and fingers. I liked the map - as Loren mentioned, it's not  really a challenging map (which some will like and some won't). I would have preferred a base that wasn't so safe & isolated. It's fun to have to build quickly before like 40 spores hit you every minute. Although the cannons weren't really necessary I thought they were a nice touch. If they had been controllable that might have been more interesting but it would also have been very overpowered.

You have some cool scrips, and I hope you keep coming up with more.

Btw, most people who play the maps don't usually comment in forums. And it might take a day or two for those of us who do comment to get around to playing it. Just so yanno. Be like a doctor... have patients!  ;D

Keep up the good work, m8!
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

GameGibu

Yes since I have reduced time to work on maps this week it might be a day or two until I get another map out.
Having read up as much as ai can I just need a few more scripting questions answered and then I can pump out a really high-quality script, maybe on a remastered map from the low ratings section that I'll end up spicing up.

The problem with the map difficulty is that I'm by far not the best map player. I find lots to admire in the design of the level rather than its difficulty. That's partially why I make a point of doing all the terrain by hand and I make the terrain and map textures work well.

If I could figure out a way to get someone else to post a score and then give it back to me to upload it, that might solve the problem.

This is a lot to think about...

Wishing you all the best,
-GameGibu
☆CRPL Master☆

Grayzzur

I actually had to adjust my collectors to NOT power the cannons. They were sucking energy I needed when I didn't need them. That's all part of the early game challenge though.

The landing area is not under any imminent threat. Once you have a few beams and some power to deal with the spores, you have all the time in the world to terp out a base and prepare an offense. The cannons helped make a beachhead, but weren't necessary and were annoying once no longer needed.

Overall the map was good.

Yes, you can add multiple images to a single core. The main image is called "main" but you can add additional images with any string name you like. A cannon can have "base", "turret", "barrel" for instance. Check out the Chimaera map in Virgil's Alpha Sector. The cannons in that map rotate, target, have barrel recoil.
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker