Custom Map #2837: Miniland 6. By: J

Started by AutoPost, November 28, 2015, 11:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #2837: Miniland 6

Author: J
Size: 96x63

Desc:
One by one all emitters will turn on, doubling in strenght each time. #AlteredFlowRate #CreeperOnly #noDigitalis #noSpores #Miniland #small #Jmaps

D0m0nik

10/10 from me, one of the most challenging and yet playable maps in a while. Really had to think through strategy and there was a good few failed attempts. The altered flow was a killer but worked really well.

J

Thanks D0m0nik! I was worried that it might turn out to be too easy, but I'm glad it didn't :)

Tjgalon

I am finding starting hard, but I am trying everything I can think of, lol

D0m0nik

Quote from: Tjgalon on November 29, 2015, 01:41:14 AM
I am finding starting hard, but I am trying everything I can think of, lol

Spoiler
To start I built 4 collectors very quickly to the south east. I then built one ore mine and one sprayer to flood the area where the CN sits. From there you just need to decide which emitters to take out first, strategy is important on this one. I went for the bottom left one and the bottom middle, the two nearest to the base are not an immediate threat.
[close]

I think this may be harder than you realised J, just 3 scores so far! Doesn't detract from it being a great map though.

J

I guess my strategy was just a bit faster.

Spoiler
Get the 80 free energy, then build an ore mine, sprayer and a nullifier. I went for the NE and E emitters first. Putting the sprayer in always on mode helps.
[close]

Difficulty is a hard thing to measure as I (as mapmaker) stick to the intended strategy and don't try anything else. Someone else might not come up with that making the map much harder, or find a much easier way to finish the map. If he does stick to my strategy it'll be much harder for him than for me as I played it a few times already. You just can't judge the difficulty of your own map without letting anyone else play it.

Tjgalon

I am not saying they are bad also, these are fun map that force you to think differently, and make your move count.

D0m0nik

Quote from: J on November 29, 2015, 11:48:26 AM
Difficulty is a hard thing to measure as I (as mapmaker) stick to the intended strategy and don't try anything else. Someone else might not come up with that making the map much harder, or find a much easier way to finish the map. If he does stick to my strategy it'll be much harder for him than for me as I played it a few times already. You just can't judge the difficulty of your own map without letting anyone else play it.

Very true, I have deliberately set 'slow' times on some of my maps (Author Dp) and then had the fastest time. When you build a map you know exactly how to exploit it's weaknesses as you have slowly tweaked them over multiple tests. I am too impatient to let others test them first as once they are done I just want them out there!