Custom Map #2805: Streeeetch. By: Jerdog

Started by AutoPost, November 16, 2015, 11:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #2805: Streeeetch

Author: Jerdog
Size: 116x84

Desc:
Uncontained pools and a loooong way to those spore towers. #Vanilla #Ramping Spores #Digitalis? #Runners?

Helper

Yikes!
Tough one to wake up to in the morning.
:)
More coffee should help.
H

PMouser

ye, could not do it. tried several differant games not keep the creeper back the old energy story again
Hi, I am a Bible believing christian.
I am a Youngevity distributor.

Sorrontis

how do #RampingSpores #Vanilla go together :)
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Karsten75

Quote from: Sorrontis on November 17, 2015, 08:08:44 PM
how do #RampingSpores #Vanilla go together :)

Spore towers that have initial delays?

radd

Quote from: PMouser on November 17, 2015, 07:24:45 PM
ye, could not do it. tried several differant games not keep the creeper back the old energy story again

Here's some hints if you want to try again:

Spoiler

Use both CNs but try to hold only one side, the bottom for example.
Build one ore mine and one sprayer. Sprayers, once working, don't need energy and can give you more time.
Build a mortar once you have some excess energy. Develop more ore mines and build another sprayer.
Just two mortars and a couple sprayers can actually keep the creeper away almost indefinitely.

Of course, now you have to worry about that to do about those pesky spores....
[close]

stdout

Loved it!!  Don't read the spoiler below:

Spoiler
I told you not to look!

Well, since you're here...

Build a terp as soon as possible, and fly it over to the right-side, and terp a 9x9 square. Then land a CN and those spore towers are sitting ducks.
[close]

Johnny Haywire

First time I tried to land both CN's on one side and build a defense. That didn't work, and while my base was being overrun I decided to try something completely different the 2nd time. Turns out it's exactly what stdout recommends in his "spoiler". If you've played Madmag's maps in the DMD section, you occasionally need to do follow the same method. If you can't figure out what it is, click stdout's spoiler... it gives you a much more laid-back sort of game, so if that's not your thing then land CN's on opposite sides and micromanage until you have a brain aneurysm or a heart attack. As for me and my mouse, we will serve the potato chips and dip while going the safe & casual route.  8)

Jerdog, I hate that people give your maps low ratings. I've loved every single one I've played and each one presents a different challenge. It's like people giving Pop Tarts a bad rating b/c they can't figure out how to toast them right. (They're YUMMY! Just like your maps!)
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

D0m0nik

Bang on Johnny, Jerdog is quickly becoming my favorite map maker (not seen anything form PH in a while!!), 10 out of 10 from me every time.

Ditto on the Stdout method
Spoiler
I started with both CNs on the left until I had nullified a nest and put a reactor on it
[close]

Jerdog

Thanks for the kind words.  I've only started making maps again because I've been playing all the other submissions that I care to.  Then I say "now what?"

That said, I can't believe I left in a shortcut.

#Vanilla refers to the lack of CPRL.

PMouser

the spoore spoiler dont work for me, as i have way too little energy to spare
Hi, I am a Bible believing christian.
I am a Youngevity distributor.

Johnny Haywire

Quotethe spoore spoiler dont work for me, as i have way too little energy to spare

I seem to remember you mentioning the same problems on other maps where energy really isn't a problem, so maybe this will help... building smartly and efficiently requires that you focus almost exclusively on power production things first, building only the weapons that are absolutely necessary to protect your power. Collectors are usually initially better to build because they build super-fast. If you have room to build them, do that first as much as you can - and don't let your green bar max out or go into the red. Try to find a balance. Power in the "Red" means you could be building something faster that could give you more power sooner. Green maxed means you're not using all your potential. That's the basic mathematical analysis of getting power early-game - there's obviously more to it than just that but virtually every game that requires resources works on the same premise. It's simple multiplicative math applied to a simulation. The earlier you can build (energy) production, the faster it will multiply.

Also, anytime you can nullify something early-game (as in this case), or have an available Power Zone - build a reactor on the PZ. You'll multiply power like crazy and then once you're up and running you can destroy it and build something more needed.

Hope this helps!  :)
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

Helper

Screen grab (F12) at about 1:00 -

knighty

Loren Pechtel

Too much for me.  I'm destroyed every time by the spores--I can't produce enough energy to keep up with the increasing storm.

This map hits my weakest area--speed.  I've never been good at fast at games like this.