Custom Map #2774: Creepy Wall. By: Sorrontis

Started by AutoPost, November 07, 2015, 01:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #2774: Creepy Wall

Author: Sorrontis
Size: 84x200

Desc:
Not much to say about this one. Hope you like it! #Sorrontis #CRPL #NoSpore #NoDigitalis #NoRunner #PopUpEmitter #StrongWinds #PinField #BuildLimit #TechLimit #NoBertha #NoSingularity #NoAoO

Sorrontis

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Helper

Hah!
A little surprise waiting for you at the mid-20 minute mark.
Good fight.
H

skwiggs

Map doesn't respect terrain heights when you release the wall.  If that's part of the challenge then also remove terps so it isn't so obvious.

Sorrontis

Quote from: skwiggs on November 07, 2015, 10:54:32 AM
Map doesn't respect terrain heights when you release the wall.  If that's part of the challenge then also remove terps so it isn't so obvious.

I left terps on purpose.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Helper

Map doesn't respect terrain heights when you release the wall.

Not quite sure what that means. The 'wall' of Creeper is much higher than any terrain you can build up.
The key for me was having enough weapons ready to stop the Creeper, then start advancing.
If you have any screen captures (or a score) would love to see it.
H

Jamz

Quote from: Helper on November 07, 2015, 12:21:54 PM

Not quite sure what that means. The 'wall' of Creeper is much higher than any terrain you can build up.
The key for me was having enough weapons ready to stop the Creeper, then start advancing.
H

I think I know what he means.
The reason it doesn't respect terrain heights is because of the "strong winds" as tagged in this map that pushes even 0.01 creeper over higher terrain. If you allow the creeper to come further south, you will notice how even 0.01 creeper will continue on to higher ground. That also threw me off a little.

As for my opinions on this map.
I think it was a bit over the top and unnecessary. I usually like Sorrontis maps but not this one. :(
I get that the idea was for a large quantity of creeper to overflow and come as a rushing tidal wave towards our base. I figured that it was going to be a long slog to some extent. But I think the slog went a bit too far. It's not that I didn't like it because it was hard, the reason I didn't like it was because AFTER the initial surprise and preparation, it was boring.

Anyway, props to you for an interesting idea. I look forward to your other maps. :)

Helper

Quote from: Jamz on November 07, 2015, 01:27:12 PM
The reason it doesn't respect terrain heights is because of the "strong winds" as tagged in this map that pushes even 0.01 creeper over higher terrain.

OK - thanks.
That little trick surprised me, but a line of Shields saved me (barely).

Sorrontis isn't afraid to experiment and in the long run that is a good thing. (Although it can't be said enough, he has an evil and twisted mind.)
H

Sorrontis

Spoiler
Quote from: Jamz on November 07, 2015, 01:27:12 PM
Quote from: Helper on November 07, 2015, 12:21:54 PM

H

The reason it doesn't respect terrain heights is because of the "strong winds" as tagged in this map that pushes even 0.01 creeper over higher terrain. If you allow the creeper to come further south, you will notice how even 0.01 creeper will continue on to higher ground. That also threw me off a little.

As for my opinions on this map.
I think it was a bit over the top and unnecessary. I usually like Sorrontis maps but not this one. :(
I get that the idea was for a large quantity of creeper to overflow and come as a rushing tidal wave towards our base. I figured that it was going to be a long slog to some extent. But I think the slog went a bit too far. It's not that I didn't like it because it was hard, the reason I didn't like it was because AFTER the initial surprise and preparation, it was boring.

Anyway, props to you for an interesting idea. I look forward to your other maps. :)
[close]

Thanks! I agree this one is a little floppy compared to my other ones. Look out for my "For D0m0nik" map. It'll be fun :)

D0m0nik

Just played this one and found it a cool challenge, quite a wave of creeper.

Spoiler
The wind allows for a cheeky guppy to land at the very top!
[close]

Didn't see any surprises at the mid 20 mark though?

radd

The best way is not to play at all:

Spoiler
Put a CN down. build 2 cannons. Nullify.
As the wall of creeper comes down, float your CN and 2 cannons to safety. Fly back and forth and wait.
After about 22 minutes, a spot will open up above the emitter. land your cannons (no resupply) and clear space for your nullifier. Land your CN and build a nullifier.
[close]

D0m0nik

Quote from: radd on November 08, 2015, 12:20:41 PM

The best way is not to play at all:

Spoiler
Put a CN down. build 2 cannons. Nullify.
As the wall of creeper comes down, float your CN and 2 cannons to safety. Fly back and forth and wait.
After about 22 minutes, a spot will open up above the emitter. land your cannons (no resupply) and clear space for your nullifier. Land your CN and build a nullifier.
[close]

Excellent, nicely done!

Sorrontis

I love it. So many people have different solutions

Helper

Quote from: D0m0nik on November 08, 2015, 11:14:00 AM

Spoiler
I was talking about the shelf that clears at the very top - just wide enough for a Nullifier.
Lots of ways to skin this cat.
[close]
H

D0m0nik

Quote from: Helper on November 08, 2015, 02:47:30 PM
Quote from: D0m0nik on November 08, 2015, 11:14:00 AM

Spoiler
I was talking about the shelf that clears at the very top - just wide enough for a Nullifier.
Lots of ways to skin this cat.
[close]
H

For some reason I assumed you were talking about a nasty surprise!