Custom Map #2675: Spooky Scary Sparkly Spores. By: ViperZer0

Started by AutoPost, October 13, 2015, 01:22:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #2675: Spooky Scary Sparkly Spores

Author: ViperZer0
Size: 200x100

Desc:
My first map, testing out some CRPL. A really terribly sucky map but it has some cool spores and stuff, so you should totally try it out.

Sorrontis

cute spore. have fun making more maps.

I'm actually interested in your ring emitter. Can you send me your CRPL?
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Cavemaniac

Quote from: AutoPost on October 13, 2015, 01:22:22 AM
My first map, testing out some CRPL. A really terribly sucky map but it has some cool spores and stuff, so you should totally try it out.

Make up your mind - is it terribly sucky, or should I totally try it out?

My head hurts.

Maybe I'll have a little lie down...

???

On a more serious note, I'm often surprised and disappointed at how frequently people run themselves down, describing their maps as terrible, or saying that they suck at map making.

If someone has gone to the effort to make and upload a map, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Especially if they've tried to include CRPL.

If it's good, people will tell you. If it's bad, ditto.

Though, having said that, there's a world of difference between an inexperienced map maker's map and deliberate spam...
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

ViperZer0

Quote from: Sorrontis on October 13, 2015, 02:19:04 AM

Here is the CRPL I used.

# Ring.crpl
# Created on: 10/10/2015 7:07:02 PM
# ------------------------------------------

once
$r:10 #Radius of ring
$width:5 #Total width of the ring
$speed:1 #How often creeper is added in seconds
HideTraceLog
endonce

<-val cos <-r mul CurrentX add <-val sin <-r mul CurrentY add 10 AddCreeper
<-val 1 add ->val
<-speed 30 mul Delay

:destroyed
    0 @SetField

:awake
    1 @SetField

:SetField
->sf
360 0 do
I cos <-r <-width sub mul CurrentX add I sin <-r <-width sub mul CurrentY add <-sf 0 SetPinFieldCell
loop

360 0 do
I cos <-r <-width add mul CurrentX add I sin <-r <-width add mul CurrentY add <-sf 0 SetPinFieldCell

loop

I suppose it can't really suck that badly. Mostly I just wanted to make some stuff with CRPL, and everything else was mostly out of necessity. The one thing I really don't like about my map is the textures which I made in 5 seconds because I felt like it, and also the spore generator. It made two spores when it should make one, and I have no idea why  :-\

Anyhow, I hope you all like it. I had a lot of fun with the CRPL.

Sorrontis

Thanks viper. I can look at your random spore CRPL see if I can see what's going on there.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

ViperZer0

Quote from: Sorrontis on October 13, 2015, 07:47:54 PM
Thanks viper. I can look at your random spore CRPL see if I can see what's going on there.

No problem. It's so strange,  I can do fantastic geometry and math but I can't write one line of code right XD

Grayzzur

FYI -- you don't need people to send you their CRPL for published maps. The following wiki page points out how to extract custom images and scripts from any map: Examine Map Resources
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

Grayzzur

Quote from: ViperZer0 on October 13, 2015, 08:28:43 PM
Quote from: Sorrontis on October 13, 2015, 07:47:54 PM

No problem. It's so strange,  I can do fantastic geometry and math but I can't write one line of code right XD

If you understand the math behind it, you can make a computer do anything you want. :)
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

Sorrontis

Quote from: Grayzzur on October 14, 2015, 12:50:14 PM

FYI -- you don't need people to send you their CRPL for published maps. The following wiki page points out how to extract custom images and scripts from any map: Examine Map Resources

Yes, I know. However, the result is a single line of code, while the code coders send me are formatted for human eyes.

stdout

When I open someone else's map in the projects area, the code is always nicely formatted.

Sorrontis

Quote from: stdout on October 14, 2015, 02:28:53 PM
When I open someone else's map in the projects area, the code is always nicely formatted.

what do you use to read them? I just use notepad, and it's a mess

stdout

I use vim and it presents the file in its original form. Maybe notepad reformats it?

Grayzzur

I use Notepad++. It's awesome and free. Check it out.

Looks like the files are stored internally with unix-style (linefeed only) end of line characters, instead of windows-style (carriage-return/linefeed) end of line characters. Notepad is not smart enough to do anything about that.

Sorrontis

Quote from: Grayzzur on October 14, 2015, 03:22:56 PM
I use Notepad++. It's awesome and free. Check it out.

Looks like the files are stored internally with unix-style (linefeed only) end of line characters, instead of windows-style (carriage-return/linefeed) end of line characters. Notepad is not smart enough to do anything about that.

That's what I thought. Notepad++ will be my friend from now on

Hubs

I use Notepadd++ as well and it's awesome!  There's a package for CRPL syntax highlighting somewhere on the forums or wiki. I couldn't find it, but I can dig more if needed...