Custom Map #2356: Volcanic Activity. By: Sorrontis

Started by AutoPost, July 29, 2015, 01:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #2356: Volcanic Activity

Author: Sorrontis
Size: 100x100

Desc:
This is not a "Creeper's Revenge" map. Its just a little map to tweak my crpl coding, and it makes for a medium challenge.

Tero

I don't know what this type of CRPL is called but I think it falls outside what is fair.  For example.  Spores are countered by beams.  Emitters are countered by pulse cannons & mortars.  Provided there is sufficient energy, fire rate and range.  With this problem there is constant rebuilding and no safe or permanent zone. 
A comparison could be made, if the Command Node didn't produce power for N minutes.  This problem needs a hashtag.  So I and other like minded players don't download it.  Because it's use merits a low rating until a counter balance can be developed.
I respect those who quote me the least.

Sorrontis

Quote from: Tero on July 30, 2015, 10:29:04 AM
Spoiler
I don't know what this type of CRPL is called but I think it falls outside what is fair.  For example.  Spores are countered by beams.  Emitters are countered by pulse cannons & mortars.  Provided there is sufficient energy, fire rate and range.  With this problem there is constant rebuilding and no safe or permanent zone. 
A comparison could be made, if the Command Node didn't produce power for N minutes.  This problem needs a hashtag.  So I and other like minded players don't download it.  Because it's use merits a low rating until a counter balance can be developed.
[close]

Interesting view on this. I don't particularly agree, as there are 4 safe zones (purposefully), although you have to fight for them. As for a counter? Terps and redundancy. You have to approach this map in a different manner than most. Then again, this was a test map, not meant to be taken seriously.

I could have written a warning notice though, sorry about that.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

warren

I have found that maps that tend to randomly destroy ground are both less fun and less popular. For example, there is Spin (#955). The primary reason almost no one has a score posted, is almost no one wants to play it.

A variant I might propose is to not destroy terrain under placed (built landed) objects and to not go into void.

Sorrontis

Quote from: warren on July 30, 2015, 04:03:57 PM
Spoiler
I have found that maps that tend to randomly destroy ground are both less fun and less popular. For example, there is Spin (#955). The primary reason almost no one has a score posted, is almost no one wants to play it.
[close]

A variant I might propose is to not destroy terrain under placed (built landed) objects and to not go into void.

That could be done :)
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Helper

There have been a number of these 'volcano' type maps and many of the same comments have been posted before. I'm not sure of how much extra work it would take the maker to do the changes, but it would sure be a lot more fun to be able to plan your attack.

It is always more fun with a Forge and Totems.
:)
H