Custom Map #1956: Era of the Sleeper. By: Telanir

Started by AutoPost, April 13, 2015, 03:50:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1956: Era of the Sleeper

Author: Telanir
Size: 180x125

Desc:
Sleeper game mode! Fight a creeper with abilities remarkably close to your very own command center... As game time progresses expect surprises and twists that will make you panic--and then think like never before. Can you best this new Creeper enemy? #Sleeper #CRPL

Telanir

This map was a lot of exhausting work but it's come to a close and I'm pretty happy with it. I think this map could use a few balancing tweaks which I'll introduce in later maps but I'm satisfied with the balancing and mechanics overall.

For people who are interested in these sorts of maps you can visit this post to find more like it or find some tactics and strategy to help you win. :)
Want to make genius CRPL? The new top map? You can start here!

Find out more about Creeper World 3 on the wiki!

CW3, The Sleeper Menace!

Own an iOS device? Check out my game Blobivers

Tyler21

You can't update a map once you have uploaded it, but I think you can report this map in order to remove it (or to remove the previous one).

EDIT: actually, if you can manage this quickly, I think it's better to remove the first one, the second one has a better opening dialog :)
"Enjoyment appears at the boundary between boredom and anxiety, when the challenges are just balanced with the person's capacity to act."
― Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Check my collection of the 30 most difficult and challenging maps in Colonial Space!

Helper

I think this would be one heck of a battle, except for the hole you left for an 'instant-win'.
If you put the fix on that it will make for some good fun.
H

theo

Helper

"Karsten75" (Admin) monitors most posts, but you can also PM him asking for help.
H

Karsten75

Maps don't update in Colonial Space. Every time a map is edited, a unique GUID is assigned to the map, so that one can't cheat by editing a map to change it while playing.

This precludes updating or replacing maps, since they are stored by their GUIDs in Colonial Space.

Also, rarely do we remove a playable map "after the event", since it is not in the interests of players who have already played and scored on a map.

In this case, since the maps were submitted in quick succession, I will remove map 1955. Let me know if you want me to put it back.

@Helper: There's a difference between a moderator and an admin. Virgil is the only Admin. :)

strigvir

Great map. I like how the fight goes all over the place. CW is quite suited for that kind of a playstyle.

Loren Pechtel

That enemy CN takes way too much killing.  I had him on the run for quite a while, my snipers kept pounding him and yet he took minutes to die.

Telanir

Quote from: Loren Pechtel on April 19, 2015, 12:49:58 AM
That enemy CN takes way too much killing.  I had him on the run for quite a while, my snipers kept pounding him and yet he took minutes to die.

Viable ways to kill it are pound it with snipers, douse it in anti-creeper, and fire pulse cannons at it. With two of the three methods the speed halves, with all three you can kill the thing pretty quickly. It doesn't have to be snipers. :)

CW3, The Sleeper Menace!

thenoobish12341234

1: there is this bug where the sleeper will not flee when being pounded by snipers.
He was in the center of the map on #2020 Release v1.1   Desert Siege, so i planted all my snipers at the edge of the experimental black hole cannon and the sleeper sat there 3-5 minutes until he died.

2: If we can't unpause the game, how can we start with command nodes in place? should i hold N till it lands?

3: what if when a beam destroyed a strafer of bomber, the pad is replaced. When a beam gets it's target, is saves the base coordinates to a variable. When a beam looses it's target, it checks to see if the target still exist(just flew out of range) or was destroyed. If destroyed, set a new item at the coordinates.

But anyway, awesome job, i will use this in my map!

Telanir

Glad you're enjoying it thenoobish12341234! :)
I'm going to do a quick response to your questions.

1. Sleepers will only flee within a certain radius really, those snipers might have been right at the edge of its 'danger' check. If you don't have a lot of snipers and they're a fair bit away the Sleeper won't think they are a threat–think about this: if you have some warm water and you gradually make it warmer eventually the water will become hot but you were used to the change, if you suddenly swarm the Sleeper with tons of cannons or snipers then you will notice it flee. It's a tactic to fight it, really, get it used to small but consistent damage.

2. You generally don't want the game to run until you are finished with your map, but if you think you are ready and at the end, feel free to hold 'N' until the bases land and then immediately export the game afterwards. If you want the map to be completely fresh AND have bases set down, remember what scripts were added to what objects, delete every CRPLCore and then place the bases, reset the time and replace every CRPLCore you removed before.

3. I don't believe there is a way to know where the base is that a strafer belongs to, if I am wrong please correct me but VirgilW didn't provide a function for that, sorry!

Good luck with your map! I hope you enjoy the template. :)

CW3, The Sleeper Menace!