Custom Map #1804: Creeperboy. By: Xeos

Started by AutoPost, March 06, 2015, 01:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1804: Creeperboy

Author: Xeos
Size: 120x120

Desc:
CreepBoy Color - Agent Creep World Domination.. PAC Puzzle map. Compete against other agents for the best time. This map was a collaboration between Legola33 and Xeos. Enjoy! #PAC #PlayAsCreeper

Xeos

This is a map that Ashley conceived as an 80's Retro style and has around 1600 individual image placements on it. Just trying new things and seeing how it goes.. Good Luck !.. and by the way, a little tip is you can use the Field from the very start.. ;)
also, it's a little on the hard side ...
A child of 5 could beat this map ... Go fetch a child of 5 !

Legola33

Apparently this is difficult. I was worried it would be too easy.

iwishforpie2

What's a pie? I'm not a pie. I'm a pi.

teknotiss

Quote from: Xeos on March 06, 2015, 01:37:07 PM
This is a map that Ashley conceived as an 80's Retro style and has around 1600 individual image placements on it. Just trying new things and seeing how it goes.. Good Luck !.. and by the way, a little tip is you can use the Field from the very start.. ;)

it's a masterwork of mapping, but it's not clear whats happening, at least at the point i've reached.
which is about halfway across diagonally with a few spurs of D/C spreading out towards pipes.
Spoiler
so basically i got from the text that i need to overcome the numbered pumps, but the thing i think i'm supposed to destroy near the pumps isn't clear. at least to me ::) so i have spread a load of C about and knocked out a few relays, but i don't seem to have affected anything ??? any more hints?
[close]
so i'll come back to this tmmw when i'm rested i guess!  8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Xeos

Quote from: teknotiss on March 06, 2015, 04:10:34 PM
Quote from: Xeos on March 06, 2015, 01:37:07 PM

it's a masterwork of mapping, but it's not clear whats happening, at least at the point i've reached.
which is about halfway across diagonally with a few spurs of D/C spreading out towards pipes.
Spoiler
so basically i got from the text that i need to overcome the numbered pumps, but the thing i think i'm supposed to destroy near the pumps isn't clear. at least to me ::) so i have spread a load of C about and knocked out a few relays, but i don't seem to have affected anything ??? any more hints?
[close]
so i'll come back to this tmmw when i'm rested i guess!  8)

At the numbered points you can see half pipes which is the entry to the pump - if you force some creep into those pipes it will destroy the pump.. - when you have destroyed all 4 you win :)

Asbestos

Amazing graphics, amazingly difficult to advance despite the relatively sparse defenses - probably due to the tight chokepoints and lack of PZs. Very neat design though.

Xeos

Quote from: Asbestos on March 06, 2015, 05:15:35 PM
Amazing graphics, amazingly difficult to advance despite the relatively sparse defenses - probably due to the tight chokepoints and lack of PZs. Very neat design though.
Thanks Asbestos :) I found it pretty tricky myself and it will not be to everyone's liking, but the work that went into it was epic so thanks for showing some appreciation :)

teknotiss

Quote from: Xeos on March 06, 2015, 04:19:11 PM
At the numbered points you can see half pipes which is the entry to the pump - if you force some creep into those pipes it will destroy the pump.. - when you have destroyed all 4 you win :)

that's what i thought, but which pipes? on pump 4 the ones above didn't seem to do anything, and the one below on the right (without AC) also seems to do nothing? hmm  ???
anyway i'll have another bash tmmw still great map, maybe should be rated "really, rather, hard"  :D
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Xeos

Here are the points you need to push the creep into

Hubs

Xeos, incredible map! Very cool design concept and original PAC idea. My only beef with it was the lag. Probably from the 1600+ graphics.  I really didn't realize what I had to do until after I killed the second pump, then it clicked.  I caught the signature too.

teknotiss

hmm i was pushing C into that one? maybe not enough i guess, hey ho, i'll have another bash later anyway.
the only serious issue is with the lag, that will be to do with the images!
could you "prebuild" the images into larger ones in an image editor and then effectively import far fewer images to the game perhaps? i dunno but there should be a way of treating the whole overlay as a single or at most 10/15 images.  :)

Linden

Congrats to you and Ashley for another superbly designed map, Xeos! :) Yes, it was a bit of a slog, but I didn't mind because it would be too easy if it had too much strength behind it.

Loads of hard work there - thank you. :) I've only had one run-through at this point, but I know I can do a lot better time-wise. I thought the "Compete against other agents for the best time" statement was a very nice idea. It's a reason we re-run them, after all, so making it part of the aim was clever. :)

metalsiagon

This is a very neat map. My only problem was the lag, this one seemed to give me way more problems being slow than other maps of comparable size.

D0m0nik

Also like to say congrats on making such a great looking map, I can't imagine the effort involved!

I actually found the game play to be a bit tedious, pushing creeper through thin spaces is quite laborious but not necessarily challenging.I still enjoyed it as it was so unusual but would not replay unlike your last map which I could replay many times.

I would say the graphics are initially very confusing, they seem to hide the structure of the map so you can't initially work out where the networks and weps are, if this was made on a bigger and more complicated scale it could get really frustrating. This map was basic enough that you could cut supply lines and work it out after some studying and so still playable.

Hope you find time to make another map before long, you certainly do have some far out and amazing ideas!