No idea how to play the map "Suspend"

Started by jrodman, January 05, 2015, 07:41:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrodman

I loved creeper worlds 1 & 2, and part of that love was that the games were fun and not too hard.

Playing the Creeper World teaser on Kongregate "Abraxis", as I haven't finished downloading the steam version yet.  The "Suspsend" level where there's a thing in the center that pushes the creeper around is kicking my ass.

I tried a variety of things.  I tried focusing on mortars hit the creeper when it's deep.  I tried focusing on sprayers to build up anti-creeper.  I tried only one base, and I tried three at once.  No matter what my shit gets killed when the wave is pushed onto my island.

What am I supposed to do?

Karsten75

As with most CW3 maps - take the high ground, focus on energy and a robust defense and then take the enemy stronghold. You an land a CN on 3 islands, take 3 energy crystals, user relays to connect your 3 islands together and also expand to the 4th island. Using mortars to keep the creeper low is a viable strategy. There is enough space at the top to create a defendable connection between the two islands.

jrodman

Unfortunately this tells me nothing I didn't already know.

It may possible to make a defensible connection between high grounds at the start, but after 10 tries, I gave up on it.  The attractor/repulsor always eventually washes the creeper up on the shelf.

I found some hints on Kongregate for this level which basically suggested building a few cannons, then shoring up with always-on Sprayers.  It was pretty irritating that my low-ground mines always got destroyed, but by working out the build order after many failures (delaying the anti-spore defense until the right time) I managed to get through.

I still maintain it's too hard, and I gave up on level 10 entirely.

Karsten75

Here is a screen copy of my position 5 minutes in. Not sure this is helpful either.

jrodman

Yes, it shows a very successful buldout with a lot of cannons.  The thing where the cannons won't shoot through the decaying bricks I think led me astray on their utility in this map.

It's probably a fine map for advanced play but seems dumb to include in a 12 map starter.

4xC

Quote from: jrodman on January 05, 2015, 10:25:52 AM
Yes, it shows a very successful buldout with a lot of cannons.  The thing where the cannons won't shoot through the decaying bricks I think led me astray on their utility in this map.

It's probably a fine map for advanced play but seems dumb to include in a 12 map starter.

Because of the moderately high utilization of the walls (crazonium, as I recall) in CW1 but absence from CW2, I think their inclusion was intended as a potential magnet for attention as CW3 plays like a glorified CW1.
C,C,C,C