Mexxor's Maps

Started by Mexxor, November 13, 2014, 01:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mexxor

Hi all,
I'd like to get some feedback on the map I'm working on now.
It just doesn't feel to good to me.
(green emitters are flippers, red are conectable and when connected turn into ac emitters)

EDIT: i would like someone to test the map named Mexxor #4, yes I'm going to put in one with the name 4 because accidentally I uploaded with 5 when it was the fourth :P
It needs tweaking with the emitters and stuff I think, maybe more? maybe make the connectmitters harder to reach? lemme know what y'all think.
"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure."
― George Carlin

teknotiss

hey dude!
this map is a bit messy feeling (and that's not the right word really but i dunno what is), it is neat and symmetrical, but feels "cluttered"
also those two red connect-mitters are pretty useless the AC amount is very low, and the void spots and 1cell wide narrows really mess the AC flow up a lot.
also forge space? i'd guess that flat spot in the center level with the flip-mitters, but that's going to be a bit of work to get to.
i'll play on but that's my immediate impressions.

edit, spelling.
also agree with stdout, less powerful emitters or less void spots perhaps?
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

stdout

For forge space you have to sacrifice some ore spots which is fine.

My only complaints so far is that it is VERY slow going for me. I feel like I'm slogging through the first 40 minutes of the game. This is a very slow pace because of the strength of the emitters I'm fighting.

One complaint: those really snazzy spirals of ore mines in the middle of the map - the top ore spot can't be reached by relay.

I think if you got rid of the void squares you'd give more room for building which would make it a bit less of a slog. And honestly, a bertha (or two) would help move the game along quicker.

Mexxor

Quote from: teknotiss on November 13, 2014, 03:35:55 PM
hey dude!
this map is a bit messy feeling (and that's not the right word really but i dunno what is), it is neat and symmetrical, but feels "cluttered"
also those two red connect-mitters are pretty useless the AC ampunt is very low, and the void spots and 1cell wide narrows really mess the AC flow up a lot.
also forge space? i'd guess that flat spot in the center level with the flip-mitters, but that's going to be a bit of work to get to.
i'll play on but that's my immediate impressions.

Messy might be the word actually, do you mean the two connect-mitters at the start though?
Cluttered as in too tightpacked with stuff?

Quote from: stdout on November 13, 2014, 03:39:03 PM
For forge space you have to sacrifice some ore spots which is fine.

My only complaints so far is that it is VERY slow going for me. I feel like I'm slogging through the first 40 minutes of the game. This is a very slow pace because of the strength of the emitters I'm fighting.

One complaint: those really snazzy spirals of ore mines in the middle of the map - the top ore spot can't be reached by relay.

I think if you got rid of the void squares you'd give more room for building which would make it a bit less of a slog. And honestly, a bertha (or two) would help move the game along quicker.

hmm, I forgot to put the tech for the Bertha's in there  :o

I might have to cut back with the emitters, not a lot of space so the creeper just builds and builds.

Thanks for the feedback you both and imma change my map (this weekend when i have the time finally  :-\)
"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure."
― George Carlin

stdout

If you put the berthas in, then don't nerf the emitters. They're fine as they are as long as berthas are present to help knock them back.

Mexxor

Quote from: stdout on November 13, 2014, 03:52:15 PM
If you put the berthas in, then don't nerf the emitters. They're fine as they are as long as berthas are present to help knock them back.

I'll probably give the connectmitters at the bottom some more strenght and straighten out the terrain there a bit. (Maybe I'll also give a little extra building space, because its irritating when thats not available, I'll probably have to make the map just a little bit larger for that though, probably give like 6×15 extra to build on for both bases)
― George Carlin

teknotiss

agreed, berthas or less emitters, especially since PZ berthas are so powerful

Quote from: Mexxor on November 14, 2014, 07:05:03 AM

I'll probably give the connectmitters at the bottom some more strenght and straighten out the terrain there a bit. (Maybe I'll also give a little extra building space, because its irritating when thats not available, I'll probably have to make the map just a little bit larger for that though, probably give like 6×15 extra to build on for both bases)

good idea, better c/ac flow and a little more build room would be nice, i personally dislike having to build reactors etc that i then have to delete and rebuild them later.
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Mexxor

Just uploaded the final version, enjoy :D
Turned out to be a little bit too easy with 2 PZ Bertha's but I left them in anyways
― George Carlin

teknotiss

Quote from: Mexxor on November 14, 2014, 09:40:48 AM
Turned out to be a little bit too easy with 2 PZ Bertha's but I left them in anyways

pretty sure you can set units to leave no pz if you want to prevent pz berthas without using void spot.
of course that is sort of evil! ;D

Mexxor

Quote from: teknotiss on November 14, 2014, 11:37:44 AM
Quote from: Mexxor on November 14, 2014, 09:40:48 AM

pretty sure you can set units to leave no pz if you want to prevent pz berthas without using void spot.
of course that is sort of evil! ;D

I don't see that option when I put a normal emitter/spore tower whatever on the map.
With the custom thingies its an option yes  ;D
I might make a map without any PZ's left someday, just to kill the players fun (muahahahaha(failed evil laugh))
― George Carlin

DestinyAtlantis

Those types of creeper buildings were used/ planned to be used for one of the Community Maps, though i think there was a problem with lag if EVERY emitter/building was that type on a very large map.
With the advanced version you could put ore deposits, totems, resource packs (and how much they would have), and what not if i'm not mistaken.
I bet one could be evil enough to make them drop a lot of creeper (if possible, maybe even 3x3 squary of 2107 creeper :D), or runners or maybe even make it when you nullify them, to switch between different buildings (nullifying them alternates between emitter, spore tower, AET, runner nests, (or custom crpl EVIL units).

J

If lag is the problem, make the map smaller :P
Instead of using void spots to prevent bertha's on PZ's, you can also use normal terrain and disable terps. Also prevents some kind of turtling and forces the player to think more about their setup.
If at any time you use some kind of super-evil structure, make sure the player knows what it does or that it is revealed when he comes close to it, usually prevents a lot of complaints of the kind 'unfair loss'.

Mexxor

Seems like a load of FUN (freakishly/frequently unloaded/uploaded nonsense)
nah, just fun
― George Carlin