Custom Map #1294: Inferno Canyon. By: planetfall

Started by AutoPost, October 25, 2014, 08:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1294: Inferno Canyon

Author: planetfall
Size: 128x84

Desc:
A preview of the horrors to come... #CRPL #CustomEnemy #Flamethrowers #Missiles #NoSpores #NoEmitters #NoDigitalis #NoRunners

stdout

Jerdog

Have taken out the 3 at the left and lower central.  But now the trio of green ones fight back too hard.  I need a hint.

Also are the sprayers supposed to target lava?  Because they seem pretty useless except as decoys. 

Also does A/C do a damned thing?  Bombing seems a waste too.

planetfall

You have to set the sprayers to always on. But AC doesn't do much at all except in larger amounts, so upgrading ore efficiency is a must.

Also, all of the shielded flamethrowers have missile launchers attached, so you'll need beams (preferably on a PZ) to shoot those down.
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

iwishforpie2

When the rockets get shot down, they release lava in a radius. Which is in the range of the Nullifier. It just falls to pieces! A little help here?
What's a pie? I'm not a pie. I'm a pi.

planetfall

Quote from: iwishforpie2 on October 26, 2014, 12:05:32 PM
When the rockets get shot down, they release lava in a radius. Which is in the range of the Nullifier. It just falls to pieces! A little help here?

The main flamethrower turret will shoot in the direction of the nearest unit that isn't on fire, or if all valid targets are on fire, the nearest one. (Remote guppies, totems, and unbuilt objects aren't considered targets by the flamethrower, but can still be damaged; power zones count as "units on fire" for targeting purposes but cannot be destroyed.) and the missiles will only be fired at units in the direction it is facing. Knowing this, you can
Spoiler

distract the flamethrower with a nearer unit behind a wall, and cool the wall with anticreeper to make it decay more slowly; and build the nullifier with a guppy, to prevent the flamethrower from aggroing until the nullifier is done building.
[close]

Building more beams won't hurt either.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

exostum

this map doesn't load on my win 8.1 x64 machine. But it does indeed load on my windows xp32 machine

More precisely it is stuck at the calibrating planetary scanner (The progress bar doesn't progress at all).

I post here because i can load other colonial space map fine (i just played a play as creeper map before attemping to load this map)

My Work in progress Maps (On hold for now)

planetfall

Quote from: exostum on October 29, 2014, 06:05:58 PM
this map doesn't load on my win 8.1 x64 machine. But it does indeed load on my windows xp32 machine

More precisely it is stuck at the calibrating planetary scanner (The progress bar doesn't progress at all).

I post here because i can load other colonial space map fine (i just played a play as creeper map before attemping to load this map)

Are you using the newest game version? That's the only thing I can think of, unless there is some platform-dependent error.

exostum

So after further testing...

That is not the map's fault but i think somehow the download of the map failed as I have deleted the map and redownloaded it and now it works. (and no, I failed to conserve the old map) (perhaps it is a steam cloud issue too ? my physic power is failing me !)

So maybe virgil need to add a md5sum at colonial space download so we won't get partial map that doesn't load if he have time for this of course. Or we need steam to fix their steam cloud.

(the version is 2.08 steam)

Sorry for this planetfall.
My Work in progress Maps (On hold for now)

Lz_erk

That was incredible. I don't think I've ever finished with a 30+ minute time before. It was like learning a whole new game. I'm proud I finished one of your maps without hints.

I'm really not used to needing TERPs... I might have gone a little overboard at the end.
Spoiler
[close]

Flash1225

Quote from: planetfall on October 25, 2014, 11:57:46 PM
You have to set the sprayers to always on. But AC doesn't do much at all except in larger amounts, so upgrading ore efficiency is a must.

Also, all of the shielded flamethrowers have missile launchers attached, so you'll need beams (preferably on a PZ) to shoot those down.
Weird, the missiles aren't firing off, for me anyway...
Considering how many turns my life has taken (good and bad), I'm still fairly neutral to it all. I take the hits, I don't react overly.

planetfall

Quote from: Flash1225 on February 19, 2015, 07:25:43 PM
Quote from: planetfall on October 25, 2014, 11:57:46 PM

Weird, the missiles aren't firing off, for me anyway...

They only fire at targets in front of the flamethrower, and only within a circular area equivalent to approximately 1/4 of the flamethrower's coverage.

(I should really return to making maps, I think. I actually have all the scripts for a new map that have been ready for a couple months, I just haven't found the willpower to assemble said map.)