Custom Map #148: Mediterranean. By: ThirdParty

Started by AutoPost, January 26, 2014, 12:14:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #148: Mediterranean

Author: ThirdParty
Size: 212x97

Desc:
It's West vs. East in the battle for control of the Mediterranean! #Digitalis infests the high ground, encouraging you to build mainly in the lake basin. #Runners are everywhere, but fortunately carry no payload. #NoSpores. #NoTechLimits, but you get an extra 30,000 points if you voluntarily refrain from using Terps and Berthas. #RealWorld #Earth #Europe #Italy #MediterraneanSea #3P

Flabort

I can't even take Rome, let alone Venice.
Really, I somehow managed to beat Farbor (2nd phase), I should be able to get one runner nest.
:P
Those runners are tough. I'm trying to set up a collector network, but they just keep knocking my production down to 7 or less; not enough to hold off the creeper, let alone kill those runners.

I'm horrible at this. :P

Edit: 30 minutes into the mission, and I have secured a foothold, and collected my first aether pack.

E2: Yay! Almost time to place my first nullifier! ...at the 53 minute mark. I suck :P
My maps: Top scores: Sugarplum, Cryz Dal, Cryz Torri, Cryz Bohz (Click fetch scores, page courtesy of kwinse)

Relli

I love the way you tell the story with your #tags. Makes it seem...more alive. I may have to do that as well when I have a map.

teknotiss

score punishing for bertha use makes sense, but i think punishing for terping is silly, since it already affects your score negatively cos of the extra time/energy cost. it's also sort of mean, since many players will want to neaten up all your messy terrain due to their ocd and you make it so they can't get a high score.
so i will not be finishing this map now i found this out. takes all the fun out for me if i know i have to play maps in a certain way to even compete for score time. shame cos you put a lot of effort into your maps, but i dislike limitations on tactics enough to just move onto the next map
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Michionlion

tek - I think TP did it this way so that he/she didn't have to totally block terps and berthas, but make the competitive game without them, if that makes any sense.  That way, the people who play for fun can have fun, and the people who play for score have some extra challenges.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

teknotiss

Quote from: Michionlion on January 26, 2014, 10:42:04 AM
tek - I think TP did it this way so that he/she didn't have to totally block terps and berthas, but make the competitive game without them, if that makes any sense.  That way, the people who play for fun can have fun, and the people who play for score have some extra challenges.

Mich- i understand that, just had to point out my feelings. i like to have fun and sometimes go for scores, so most maps get played first for fun then i will/may replay for a score, it's just this is something that puts me off  :)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

J

Quote from: Michionlion on January 26, 2014, 10:42:04 AM
tek - I think 3P did it this way so that he/she didn't have to totally block terps and berthas, but make the competitive game without them, if that makes any sense.  That way, the people who play for fun can have fun, and the people who play for score have some extra challenges.
I completely agree here, but please use 3P for ThirdParty, TP is for ThePenguin.

pawel345

Lowering score for terping is because you will destroy important cultural and geographical heritage of earth :P

Helper

tek & Mich -
I think it is just a function of map makers trying out the variations of CW3, but there is a fairly significant percentage of games being posted that just aren't worth my time to play - AND - are simply no fun.

I really make an effort to stay positive in my comments...and I am POSITIVE that maps with these kinds of restrictions aren't as much fun as they could be.
H

ThirdParty

Quote from: teknotiss on January 26, 2014, 10:39:33 AMso i will not be finishing this map now i found this out. takes all the fun out for me if i know i have to play maps in a certain way to even compete for score time. shame cos you put a lot of effort into your maps, but i dislike limitations on tactics enough to just move onto the next map
Quote from: Helper on January 26, 2014, 10:47:40 AMI really make an effort to stay positive in my comments...and I am POSITIVE that maps with these kinds of restrictions aren't as much fun as they could be.

That's disappointing.  I thought I'd come up with the perfect compromise for people like you two.

The high scores list keeps track of players' best scores and players' best times, and can be sorted by either.  So it didn't seem necessary to keep score and time in lock-step with one another.  I figured that players who wanted to play without unit restrictions could compete for best time, and players who wanted to try the voluntary unit restriction challenge, and thus face a map that required a different strategy from other maps, could compete for best score.

Oh, well.  It seemed worth trying the experiment to see how people would react.  Now I know.

Flabort

Well, I'm accustomed to playing without TERPs or Berthas... they just don't click for me; I'll use them when I have to, but I hardly ever do.
My maps: Top scores: Sugarplum, Cryz Dal, Cryz Torri, Cryz Bohz (Click fetch scores, page courtesy of kwinse)

Helper

Quote from: ThirdParty on January 26, 2014, 11:16:28 AM
Oh, well.  It seemed worth trying the experiment to see how people would react.  Now I know.

@3P -
People such as yourself (map makers) are kind of the engine that drives this train and I always try to make it a point to thank those folks for the work they do.

There were obviously those who enjoyed the game, so you have a receptive audience. Take my comments with a grain of salt and as nothing more than one man's opinion.
H

ThirdParty

Quote from: Helper on January 26, 2014, 02:26:17 PMThere were obviously those who enjoyed the game, so you have a receptive audience. Take my comments with a grain of salt and as nothing more than one man's opinion.

I know, but I want to understand how to appeal to more people.

And I just don't see why the points penalty for using terps and berthas would interfere with your fun in any way.  You're able to play the map using all units, and are able to compete for best time against other people who used all units.  How does the existence of a second high scores list, for people who accepted unit restrictions, interfere with you enjoying the map your way?

Clean0nion

Quote from: ThirdParty on January 26, 2014, 02:43:20 PM
Quote from: Helper on January 26, 2014, 02:26:17 PMThere were obviously those who enjoyed the game, so you have a receptive audience. Take my comments with a grain of salt and as nothing more than one man's opinion.

I know, but I want to understand how to appeal to more people.

And I just don't see why the points penalty for using terps and berthas would interfere with your fun in any way.  You're able to play the map using all units, and are able to compete for best time against other people who used all units.  How does the existence of a second high scores list, for people who accepted unit restrictions, interfere with you enjoying the map your way?
For some (many? most? few?) achieving a high score is part, if not all, of the fun. Take ea3401, for example. High-score bearer on almost every map. Whether that's his/her fun or not I can't tell, but I suspect it probably is.

Helper

Quote from: ThirdParty on January 26, 2014, 02:43:20 PM
How does the existence of a second high scores list, for people who accepted unit restrictions, interfere with you enjoying the map your way?

My nemesis is lack of Totems/Aether. The whole Forge function is such an incredible improvement over prior versions of CW, and not having it available is like being reined in.
H