Custom Map #90: Galápagos. By: eduran

Started by AutoPost, January 14, 2014, 08:39:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #90: Galápagos

Author: eduran
Size: 256x142

Desc:
How about a vacation on the famous Galapagos Islands? #CRPL: endless ocean, off-screen runner nests #Digitalis #Spores #NoTechLimits #Islands #RealWorld

eduran

Uh, I guess the forum doesn't like the character 'á'. Could someone with mod privileges please fix the title? Thanks.

Anyway, I'd like to thank ThirdParty for his awesome #RealWorld maps. As you'll probably have noticed, I took a lot of inspiration (and code) from Hawai'i. I'd also like to give credit to the guy who posted this matlab script, as it was used in the creation of Galápagos.
In its current state the map is on the easy side of things. I am going to release a much harder version within the next few days (once I manage to beat it  ;D), so if you are looking for a challenge you should probably wait for that.

Clean0nion

Quote from: eduran on January 14, 2014, 08:54:24 AM
Uh, I guess the forum doesn't like the character 'á'. Could someone with mod privileges please fix the title?

Anyway, I'd like to thank ThirdParty for his awesome #RealWorld maps. As you'll probably have noticed, I took a lot of inspiration (and code) from Hawai'i. I'd also like to give credit to the guy who posted this matlab script, as it was used in the creation of Galápagos.
In its current state the map is on the easy side of things. I am going to release a much harder version within the next few days (once I manage to beat it  ;D), so if you are looking for a challenge you should probably wait for that.
Darn you, eduran, for stealing my #90 spot! Now I have to wait until the next round number ;)

teknotiss

Quote from: Clean0nion on January 14, 2014, 11:07:02 AM
Darn you, eduran, for stealing my #90 spot! Now I have to wait until the next round number ;)

OCD a little? ;)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

eduran

Well, 100 is rounder than 90. I'd say I did you a favor  ;D

Clean0nion

Quote from: eduran on January 14, 2014, 11:31:22 AM
Well, 100 is rounder than 90. I'd say I did you a favor  ;D
Nope! I have maps #30 and #60!

knucracker

I've not looked at the scripts, but it seems like you get a nasty surprise if you save and load a map.  Specifically, if you have cleared off some of the lower elevation levels around your islands they will insta-flood again if you save and load the map.  I'm gonna guess that creeper gets set on any cell at or below a certain elevation on game load.

eduran

Oh crap. I put the entire setup for the ocean into an :Awake function, so the ocean is there right after the loading screen without having to unpause for it to show up. Everything sits inside a once/endonce block except for one function call. Not sure why I missed that one  :-\ I guess from now on I will make sure to save/reload a couple of times on my test playthroughs.

Cavemaniac

Quote from: virgilw on January 15, 2014, 02:46:12 PM
I've not looked at the scripts, but it seems like you get a nasty surprise if you save and load a map.  Specifically, if you have cleared off some of the lower elevation levels around your islands they will insta-flood again if you save and load the map.  I'm gonna guess that creeper gets set on any cell at or below a certain elevation on game load.

Hey!

Ed found a way to punish people who use saves as a way to improve their times!
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

knucracker

I have a better one for you...
Nobody can post a score on this map because of the odd character in the title.  I just finished the map (After recovering from a save/ load cycle:) ) and tried to post my terrible score.  Nothing...
Inspection indicates that the server script is throwing out the submissions because of the character in the title of the map (that is part of the score submission).  Now I'll have to see if there is some way to fix that :/

Clean0nion

Quote from: virgilw on January 15, 2014, 06:06:06 PM
Nobody can post a score on this map because of the odd character in the title.  I just finished the map (After recovering from a save/ load cycle:) ) and tried to post my terrible score.  Nothing...
Inspection indicates that the server script is throwing out the submissions because of the character in the title of the map (that is part of the score submission).  Now I'll have to see if there is some way to fix that :/
which reminds me: I asked you to change my map Asteroid to Empire: Asteroid, however, as you can't have a colon in a filename,I can't submit maps with that format of title anyway. So you might have the same problem with that map.
If you can't find a long term solution, would you mind changing it to a hyphen instead? Thanks. And sorry for the off topic post.

knucracker

Ok, if you have played and finished this map load up your last auto save then leave the map.  You should get the submit score screen.  Try submitting your score and it should work now.

eduran

Quote from: virgilw on January 15, 2014, 06:06:06 PM

Strange. I was able to submit my score right before I uploaded the map.

knucracker

When you play from your finalized pane, the title doesn't get set along with the score.  When people play from colonial space I also include the map title in the score submission. This is optional data and the only reason I do it is for convenience when I have to look at score records manually in the database. 

The problem was on the server where I was not UTF8 decoding all of the fields.

Martoon

Quote from: virgilw on January 15, 2014, 02:46:12 PM
Yeah, I got burned by this. Other than that, really nice map!

The save/load bug is kind of an issue on a map that takes this long to complete. I often don't have time to complete a longer map all in one sitting.