Main Menu

CS

Started by Ninja, January 05, 2014, 09:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ninja

I would like to know, when will the mapmods start moderating CS custom maps? I mean, just a fairly general timeframe like, within a month, but no promises or something.

Clean0nion

Quote from: Ninja on January 05, 2014, 09:26:09 PM
I would like to know, when will the mapmods start moderating CS custom maps? I mean, just a fairly general timeframe like, within a month, but no promises or something.
agreed. I've noticed a few poorer-quality maps cropping up, and when the final CS release is released if it isn't already, then that number will go into overload.

Ninja

Quote from: Clean0nion on January 05, 2014, 09:28:30 PM
Quote from: Ninja on January 05, 2014, 09:26:09 PM
agreed. I've noticed a few poorer-quality maps cropping up, and when the final CS release is released if it isn't already, then that number will go into overload.
What do you mean poorer-quality?

Grauniad

The purpose of map moderation is not to prevent "poorer-quality" (whatever that may mean) maps from being uploaded, it is solely intended to prevent unacceptable content - content that is offensive, harmful or in poor taste. All maps submitted find an audience willing to play them - often laced with criticism, but the maps still get played.

Experience from CW1 and CW2 custom maps  indicate that the overwhelming majority of maps submitted is appropriate and welcome on this site.

To simplify the process and reduce volunteer involvement (currently only a small contingent of 4 moderators remain active for CW2 maps), CW3 maps are released directly to the community. Each map can (similar to any post on the forums) be reported for content.

If a map is reported by a sufficient number of players, the map will be flagged, temporarily removed and be subject to moderator review. Moderators can return the map or permanently remove if from the inventory of maps.

Players reporting maps that are found not eligible for removal will have future reports discounted on a progressive scale, so eventually a large number of spurious reports will reduce the wight of that members reporting vote. Successful reports, on the other hand, will increase the weight of suture reports.

Map makers submitting maps that are removed will also have a weighting system applied to future map submissions, eventually resulting in maps from that person being placed directly on manual approval, or a full suspension of map uploading capability.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Clean0nion

Quote from: Grauniad on January 06, 2014, 02:55:21 AM
The purpose of map moderation is not to prevent "poorer-quality" (whatever that may mean) maps from being uploaded, it is solely intended to prevent unacceptable content - content that is offensive, harmful or in poor taste. All maps submitted find an audience willing to play them - often laced with criticism, but the maps still get played.

Experience from CW1 and CW2 custom maps  indicate that the overwhelming majority of maps submitted is appropriate and welcome on this site.

To simplify the process and reduce volunteer involvement (currently only a small contingent of 4 moderators remain active for CW2 maps), CW3 maps are released directly to the community. Each map can (similar to any post on the forums) be reported for content.

If a map is reported by a sufficient number of players, the map will be flagged, temporarily removed and be subject to moderator review. Moderators can return the map or permanently remove if from the inventory of maps.

Players reporting maps that are found not eligible for removal will have future reports discounted on a progressive scale, so eventually a large number of spurious reports will reduce the wight of that members reporting vote. Successful reports, on the other hand, will increase the weight of suture reports.

Map makers submitting maps that are removed will also have a weighting system applied to future map submissions, eventually resulting in maps from that person being placed directly on manual approval, or a full suspension of map uploading capability.
That's certainly a very good, tight system you have there. I see no flaws with it, other than the following: how do you determine who uploaded/reported the respectively offensive/inoffensive map? People can easily change their uploading name, and the email attached to each map.

Grauniad

Let's call it a first line of defense - "security through obscurity" and pardon me if I don't share the inner workings of the system.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Clean0nion

Quote from: Grauniad on January 06, 2014, 12:18:47 PM
Let's call it a first line of defense - "security through obscurity" and pardon me if I don't share the inner workings of the system.
I should have guessed.
Good luck in your endeavours!