3P Maps

Started by ThirdParty, October 21, 2013, 10:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThirdParty

Quote from: eduran on November 28, 2013, 04:51:05 PM
Quote from: ThirdParty on November 28, 2013, 11:55:42 AM...the startup is potentially a bit rough...
I found it to be impossible. No idea how I am supposed to survive for more than 5 minutes.
It's a puzzle!  I swear that it's possible.  You probably just chose the wrong site for your base.
Spoiler
Don't bother trying to defend the indefensible low ground where your command node is, just build on high ground and assault the central emitter.  It's easily nullified, after which you can clear its space and move your command node to there.  (Depending on how well you micromanage the assault, you may end up having to put the command node in a holding pattern above the map for a few seconds.  That's not the end of the world; a hovering command node's built-in reactor doesn't work, but it can still receive energy and send packets.)
[close]

Altren

I liked 3p Nihon. It took me few tried to figure how to start, but then it was pretty straightforward.
Spoiler
he only event that wasn't interesting was meteorite one. I expected that it would change terrain or something like that. Also expected to see last big piece.
Also I'm not sure, but is removing PZ from base is what supposed to happen after explosion?
[close]

ThirdParty

Quote from: Altren on November 28, 2013, 10:28:10 PM
Spoiler
Also I'm not sure, but is removing PZ from base is what supposed to happen after explosion?
[close]
Yes, that's intentional.  Depending on the player's build, he might end up having to reconfigure his base afterward, which I thought would be interesting.

Altren

Clean0nion

@3P - I just downloaded Beqaa and read the opening conversation.
I'm done.  :D

ThirdParty

Quote from: Clean0nion on November 29, 2013, 12:36:16 PM@3P - I just downloaded Beqaa and read the opening conversation.
I'm done.
Could I have a smiley to go with that comment?  I can't quite tell whether you're furious or ROFLing.

TLMike

Grauniad

Quote from: ThirdParty on November 29, 2013, 04:31:57 PM
Quote from: Clean0nion on November 29, 2013, 12:36:16 PM@3P - I just downloaded Beqaa and read the opening conversation.
I'm done.
Could I have a smiley to go with that comment?  I can't quite tell whether you're furious or ROFLing.

I ROFL'd  :D
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

ThirdParty

3P Racquet (download)

I decided to see whether I could fit an interesting map into the minimum 20x20 size.  This was the result.  Your CN may be landed only three times (which shouldn't be a problem if you're using a decent strategy); other than that, there is no special scripting, and I have not in any way modified costs or behaviors--everything is exactly as it appears.

This map is a lot harder than it looks, and is expected to be very puzzling.  My official solution took 8:17.5, involved 10 structures of 6 different types, and combined three distinct bright ideas.  (You may need to pool bright ideas with one another in order to solve it.)  Hopefully I didn't miss some obvious simple solution which takes all the fun out of it.

update: Altren goaded me into making an even harder version ("3P Racquet Hard") with a shorter handle and only two landings.  (download)

TLMike

Your maps have a subtle elegance to them. Keep up working like this, you may end up with more notoriety than yum234's CW2 maps.

Clean0nion

Agreed.

I can't work out why you'd want to reland the CN...

UPDATE:
Spoiler
Don't use Strafers. They don't work.
[close]

ThirdParty

Quote from: Clean0nion on November 29, 2013, 06:19:35 PMI can't work out why you'd want to reland the CN...
You wouldn't.  Trust me.  The solution I'm preventing with that script is very unfun.  Ten minutes of doing the same stupid maneuver over and over again every thirty seconds.

Quote from: Clean0nion on November 29, 2013, 06:19:35 PMDon't use Strafers. They don't work.
lol!  Were you hoping that the plane would keep firing even after you'd bulldozed its landing pad?  Worth trying, I guess, but no such luck.

Clean0nion

Quote from: ThirdParty on November 29, 2013, 06:33:43 PM
Quote from: Clean0nion on November 29, 2013, 06:19:35 PM
Spoiler
Don't use Strafers. They don't work.
[close]
lol!  Were you hoping that the plane would keep firing even after you'd bulldozed its landing pad?  Worth trying, I guess, but no such luck.
Spoiler
Nope, just hoping it would clear the whole strip. It didn't. It was the most pathetic thing I've ever seen in this game. And I can't think of any manoeuvre that involves removing the CN so your technique didn't block any of my strategies.

The only thing I can think of doing at the moment is build a balster then moving into the creeper whilst building another... again and again and again. Doesn't get me anywhere.
[close]

I'm going to have to give up on this for the time being, you sneaky dog. Stop making under-complicated ridiculously hard yet perfectly engineered maps(!)

ThirdParty

Quote from: Clean0nion on November 29, 2013, 06:41:33 PMThe only thing I can think of doing at the moment is build a balster then moving into the creeper whilst building another... again and again and again. Doesn't get me anywhere.
I wouldn't say that it got you nowhere.  If you measure progress by "If I built something on the ball that wasn't a weapon, how many seconds would it take for the racquet to be completely flooded?", you're probably a few seconds further from death than you were when you loaded the map.  This is a map where a few seconds sometimes make the difference between completing a building in time or not.