Wind?

Started by ThirdParty, October 15, 2013, 07:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThirdParty

This is kind of a dumb question, but how does wind work?  (I want to have shifting winds in a custom map, so that the creeper will occasionally move in unexpected ways.)

There was no command listed in the docs for setting wind, but I took a wild guess of "SetWind(n1 n2)" and it compiled.  The function is working; if I call "SetWind(5 -3)" and then edit the map, the wind fields on the terrain tab show "R/L 5, U/D -3", exactly as one would expect.

My problem is that it doesn't seem to do anything.  Creeper flows at exactly the same speed in all directions, no matter what I set the wind to.  I tried low values like 0.25, medium values like 4, and high values like 500; I tried setting the wind via the terrain tab rather than via function; but I never got a visible effect on creeper flow patterns.

I know that wind, or something similar, must be in the game; see the Mistet map in the main sequence.  So what am I doing wrong?

Neko187

Those really aren't high...
Try 5000 or 50000 and you'll get better results.
Everything is too long a list to work with.
No one knows everything about anything.
No one knows something about everything.
Everyone knows something about something.
Anyone could be the world's foremost expert on something.
Anyone who thinks that just because they didn't already know a thing, it must not be true or important, is an idiot.
-OSC

ThirdParty

Oh.  Heh.  So many important values, like creeper flow rate, are fractions of 1 that it didn't occur to me to try gigantic numbers.  Thanks.

Someone should add SetWind to the wiki, with a note on what the strengths mean.  (I'm now thinking that when the creeper is flowing in the same direction as the wind, it has wind/10000 added to its effective altitude.  Is that right?)

Grayzzur

Does this SetWind wiki page work for you now?
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

thepenguin

We have become the creeper...

ThirdParty