Custom Map: Creeper Swirl

Started by AutoPost, June 15, 2010, 07:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: Creeper Swirl

Author: BermanPost

Desc:
The Creeper has surrounded you and is circling like a cliché biker gang. There are only six of them, but they are pretty strong.

Timwi

I'm impressed that you managed to solve this. Any hints? I can barely build enough blasters to keep the creeper out, but they starve because I don't have enough energy, and that's when the creeper flows in.

BermanPost

Quote from: Timwi on June 16, 2010, 11:40:09 AM
I'm impressed that you managed to solve this. Any hints? I can barely build enough blasters to keep the creeper out, but they starve because I don't have enough energy, and that's when the creeper flows in.

No problem; though in exchange maybe you could explain why people are 'hating' on this map and rating it so low.

*** Some SPOILERS ***

The trick is to use the confined space as efficiently as possible (meaning there should be no unused squares) using a minimal amount of collectors loading up on reactors.  Build the energy first and switch over to the blasters as close the the creeper break through as possible.

Fynn

Okay, I got all the emitters capped, but I'm having trouble getting the corner totems since I can't kill off the creeper fast enough not to blow out the collectors I'm using to connect.  I've had this problem with other maps as well, there some type of trick in situations I'm not thinking of?

BermanPost

Quote from: Fynn on June 16, 2010, 09:00:38 PM
Okay, I got all the emitters capped, but I'm having trouble getting the corner totems since I can't kill off the creeper fast enough not to blow out the collectors I'm using to connect.  I've had this problem with other maps as well, there some type of trick in situations I'm not thinking of?

Speed and timing; build the collectors when they have the most time to live before being destroyed by the creeper, and if timing is not enough that is a signal you have to boost the speed.

Timwi

I got as far as breaking out of the box a little bit, but from there I cannot continue. The blasters lose health too quickly and die, or there is not enough energy to feed them, even with everything full of reactors. Either way, the level is very frustrating and not much fun to play. This may be why it's being downrated.

Timwi

I would love to see a video of someone solving this map.

BermanPost

Quote from: Timwi on June 17, 2010, 12:22:11 PM
I got as far as breaking out of the box a little bit, but from there I cannot continue. The blasters lose health too quickly and die, or there is not enough energy to feed them, even with everything full of reactors. Either way, the level is very frustrating and not much fun to play. This may be why it's being downrated.

"Difficulty:    Expert Only"

roccologic

The First step is not so hard...

But is the only way to win, to build a realy big Blaster arms?
like this way...

UpperKEES

Quote from: roccologic on June 18, 2010, 08:21:24 AM
But is the only way to win, to build a realy big Blaster arms?

I guess that's the most literal way of 'thinking out of the box'.... ;)

I also apply this every now and then, since Karsten suggested it to me a while ago.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Fynn

I stopped the two entrances with 3 blasters each then built 5 mortars on one side and let them pound on the creep for awhile until they started actually leaving dents, around that time the pressure on the door lessened so that I could add a blaster in the door. and then 4 blasters start making progress so that I can add a 4th and a 5th (turning off mortars as necessary to keep everything charged).

roccologic

127 min 1 sec  ;D

Make some  fault and starts near beginning again  ;D and my CPU makes me total crazy  ;D

Timwi

Just re-tried this after years and finally managed to solve it, although not very well :) The timing issue near the end is frustrating, I think the map would have been more enjoyable without the corner totems.