Custom Map: Golden Rectangle

Started by AutoPost, October 26, 2010, 09:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: Golden Rectangle

Author: mopa42

Desc:
The golden ratio fascinated the ancients. Who knows why this monument was built, or why it was abandoned to the gold-emitting totems?

Not too hard if you go slowly, but the high scores go only to the most aggressive players.

nogret

Cant beat it. The 3 (at this time) score must be fake or something is broken on my end. This is impossible.
The time from the map starts to the point where it is covered 100% is a little less than the time it takes to build a blaster. How does one beat such a map?

nogret

Now I have tried it 18 times and still I have not found any place that OC can be moved without the creeper reaching it before I am ready.
That means that it either hits before the first blaster is ready or before I have connected to one of the reactor"pods" in any corner.
Am I suppose to start out with a blaster or something? Because it must something that is broken here.
Else I cant see how this map can be beaten.

Grauniad

Since there are 4 scores, I would imagine that there is a way, though looking at the times, it might not be easy at all.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

nogret

Yes, that's what I thought, but I simply cannot see how it can be done. The time from start to death is just not long enough to build more than 1 blaster, and that will only delay defeat by 8 or 10 second which is not enough to build another blaster to help it.

So I am guessing that there is something wrong with my client here because it is just not possible no matter how good a player one may be, there is simply not enough time.

Grauniad

Here are a few hints to get you started.

I turned packet control for totems off, so as to not initially waste any energy on totems.

Then I flew Odin City into the "ditch" on the upper left, near where I could connect with one collector to the reactors located there. Then it was simply careful management of what I built where to stem the creeper flow and get more energy. For instance, I built one collector and one blaster in the upper ditch. And a short line of collectors to place a blaster on the island in the left ditch and one collector and a blaster on the high ground. Sounds a lot, but I had time.  Then I simply had to sit it out and slowly build up reactors to power my weapons before expanding.

mopa42

So.... it seems the map is more difficult than I thought. The only tricky part is getting started - if you're careful, the rest of the map is a relatively straightforward gradually-advance-the-blasters attack.

So, here my tips for the first couple of moves:

• You'll need to fly Odin City and blasters (not to bridge or anything fancy, but it is important to move)
  • I first grab the nearest upgrade by flying Odin City and building one collector. 10% less cost or 10% more energy.
  • Then I retreat to the trench on the left side.
  • First priority: connect to one of the prebuilt corner reactors.
  • Second priority: connect to the other upgrade.
  • Third priority: build a blaster in the lower corner of the trench to guard that corner, and simultaneously start on another blaster to prevent the creeper from spilling over the upper-left edge.
After that, I connect to the other reactor clump and slowly expand the number of blasters while constantly building 1 new reactor at a time.

Feel free to ask for more hints!

2 screenshots attached (at 1 minute and 5 minutes)

nogret

Well, I feel stupid now.
Although I was right that there was something wrong on my end. Because of little-snitch I have never updated my game. So I was playing a version that was so old that the mines where not in it.

The map is indeed impossible without those mines.

Despite all the great tips, and following them almost to the letter, I still cannot beat it though, but I can see how it might be possible.

I do think it still is one of the hardest Medium maps I have ever played. Most Hard maps is much easier than this one.

Alot sure has happened since I got this game the first time around ^^

Grauniad

Quote from: nogret on October 29, 2010, 02:50:24 PM
Well, I feel stupid now.
Although I was right that there was something wrong on my end. Because of little-snitch I have never updated my game. So I was playing a version that was so old that the mines where not in it.

Feel free to download the free upgrade to your game here. http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/patches.php

And watch out, an additional, small update will soon become available.

burguertime

Was this map hex edited or something? because the smallest squares are elevation 6/6 and the max elevation possible in the editor is 5/6
Don't make a slog just because. Be like Master Mapmaker SPIFFEN:
Quote from: themaskedcrusader on October 05, 2010, 05:09:33 PM
(...)Difficulty is subjective. (...)
SPIFFEN chooses to rate each map as trivial because they believe that the difficulty of the map depends on the capability of the player.
BAD RATING: MEASUREMENT OF MAP HARDNESS.
Quote from: DumbCreeperGamer"Ugh, me no finish map, map too hard, ME RATE ONE.
oOga OoGa to you too.

UpperKEES

Quote from: burguertime on October 31, 2010, 08:46:21 AM
Was this map hex edited or something? because the smallest squares are elevation 6/6 and the max elevation possible in the editor is 5/6

See here.

Haven't played this map (yet), but just have to say that I like the 'golden rectangle' theme and your implementation of it. :)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

fridge

Faboulos map, good design, time beaten, thank you !