Fast times

Started by Pigster, March 05, 2011, 06:37:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigster

I am one for getting a fast time on a level I like, but I like to post all my times whenever I beat an old one - my The Hobbit and MadMag's Creeper Hollow being two examples, so it shows as 20-30 attempts each.

Most other people get excellent times after seemingly only one attempt. I'm currious, how many goes do the good players have of a level before posting a score they're happy with?

mthw2vc

I usually post after 1-3 attempts, but I hardly ever bother with speedrunning.

Fisherck

I will usually beat a map once to know how it ticks, then go in for the speed run. Simply put, every time I know I make a serious mistake or do something to slow down my time, I start over. When I know its not my best, or at least not close to, I start over.
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Fisherck on March 05, 2011, 09:46:28 AM
I will usually beat a map once to know how it ticks, then go in for the speed run. Simply put, every time I know I make a serious mistake or do something to slow down my time, I start over. When I know its not my best, or at least not close to, I start over.

+1. In some cases I just want to be #1, so I keep restarting until it works out. Sometimes I obtain the first spot after my first run, sometimes it takes more than 20 attempts (and sometimes I just fail).
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Ebon Heart

basically, if they know it's not a good time, they restart it, they don't actually finish the map. I presume anyways, I am in no way a speed runner. I'm more of a "yay, I beat the map... 23rd? oh well. what next?" kinda guy. lol
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

Michionlion

Quote from: Ebon_Heart on March 07, 2011, 09:19:39 PM
basically, if they know it's not a good time, they restart it, they don't actually finish the map. I presume anyways, I am in no way a speed runner. I'm more of a "yay, I beat the map... 23rd? oh well. what next?" kinda guy. lol

Same here.  its the accomplishment in just beating the map that i go for
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Katra

I generally go with 'just beat the map.' Then, if I see an opening I'll (sometimes) replay to try for a better time.
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

Karsten75

If I find a "fun" map I'l play it over and over and over and.... 

There's a map I've currently played to completion 15 times! (not counting the false starts or abandoned starts).  :(  I think that's sick. I need help.

(e)

I usually go with just beating the map(read more than half the time). Sometimes after getting partway through the map and watching how things develop, I will stop and restart. Sometimes on a hard map i am forced to restart. Sometimes after I have forgotten my original strategy, I go back to a hard map and see if I can come up with a new strategy, sometimes I see an incredibly low score, and realize there is a strategy I did not see the first time.