Custom Map #232: Domorthea. By: Clean0nion

Started by AutoPost, February 17, 2014, 04:54:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Altren

There is way better start than using collectors to get relay tech:
Spoiler
Build collector - beam - collector - beam - collector. Thus you save 20 energy (beams cost less, do not power them up yet), gain useful beams for future, have remaining collectors you can build in useful place for extra energy before getting relay, can remove beams and place relays there (and then rebuild remaining three collectors in useful place).
[close]

Grayzzur

Quote from: Altren on February 18, 2014, 08:37:07 AM
There is way better start than using collectors to get relay tech:
Nice. Learn something new every day.
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

speef

OMGlong.

I loved the way that I kept saying, "And how the hell would I do THAT????" in the course of the level. I also had the honor of being far and away the worst time on the board! =D

Keep making these!

pasqualz

Help! I'm totally stuck in a stalemate and can't get any farther. I need to finish this map so I can get back to my life! See screenshot below. How do I get any farther along now? I just can't figure out how to stop the flow of creeper through the wide path of digitalis in the center and therefore can't make any advances. Help!!!

Clean0nion

Quote from: pasqualz on February 21, 2014, 03:50:45 PM
Help! I'm totally stuck in a stalemate and can't get any farther. I need to finish this map so I can get back to my life!(???) See screenshot below. How do I get any farther along now? I just can't figure out how to stop the flow of creeper through the wide path of digitalis in the center and therefore can't make any advances. Help!!!
Everyone gets stuck here.

FIRST: GET THE TECHS ON THE POWER ZONES!
Spoiler
Send a D-PC across to the nearest asteroid under the D, then wait a couple of seconds and send across another to the PZ island. THE MOMENT that one of the PCs runs out of ammo, build a relay in its place. Then just send another across onto a PZ, once you've collected the tech.
[close]

Then this:
Spoiler
Build a few D-PCs. Send them across to the asteroids. Then power one with either a PZ guppy or a relay. A guppy is best.
One you have a litlle hole in the D, send a Terp over - there's another small asteroid above the original two. Terp that to level 1 or 2, then add another couple of D-PCs.
[close]

pasqualz

Unfortunately your first spoiler doesn't work for me.  Here's why:

Spoiler
I'm assumin that D-PC means digitalis power canon??? I set two canons to target "digitalis" and send them over a few seconds apart. The first one on the top-most asteroid, makes a small hole and so does the second one on the PZ (Power zone?) island, but as soon as I destroy the top canon and go to add a relay, the creeper floods in way to quickly and destroys the relay. I've tried sending over several carefully timed waves of digitalis and creeper targeting canons, but no matter what, the creeper just floods in way too fast. Perhaps if the canons could connect into a relay from the top island, but theyre too far away to do so. There just seems like no way to stop the flow of creeper in that digitalis path. Maybe its just me and I'm not capable of getting the timing right.
[close]
:-( Can you think of why its not working for me??? perhaps, something isnt set up correctly elsewhere on the map???

Clean0nion

Quote from: pasqualz on February 21, 2014, 11:43:20 PM
Unfortunately your first spoiler doesn't work for me.  Here's why:

Spoiler
I'm assumin that D-PC means digitalis power canon??? I set two canons to target "digitalis" and send them over a few seconds apart. The first one on the top-most asteroid, makes a small hole and so does the second one on the PZ (Power zone?) island, but as soon as I destroy the top canon and go to add a relay, the creeper floods in way to quickly and destroys the relay. I've tried sending over several carefully timed waves of digitalis and creeper targeting canons, but no matter what, the creeper just floods in way too fast. Perhaps if the canons could connect into a relay from the top island, but theyre too far away to do so. There just seems like no way to stop the flow of creeper in that digitalis path. Maybe its just me and I'm not capable of getting the timing right.
[close]
:-( Can you think of why its not working for me??? perhaps, something isnt set up correctly elsewhere on the map???
Well, as you've conquered the fourth island, you could try loading up a couple of bombers and sending them over.
And I hate to be patronising, but are you pausing?

pasqualz

I tried moving all 4 bombers to concentrate on the PZ asteriod and the one above it but they make no dent in the digitalis. It appears that there is all AC flowing around the digitalis, but the digitalis itself is full of creeper still. I am pausing and playing on 1x when I try the canon technique to carve out small holes in the creeper to put the relay in, but alas, the creeper flows back in way too fast. I wish I could take a short video to show you.
It seems that I'm getting a different effect in this area than you experienced. Could it be that the game's been running so long (going on 15 hours,) that the creeper has built up to an enormous amount and pressure and just can't be beaten back? I tried building about a hundred mortars and sent them all together to the last island on the bottom left in hopes that they would overwhelm the creeper there and cause a short disruption in creeper flowing through the digitalis, but a hundred mortar together didn't even put a dent in the creeper. it seems hopeless.

Grayzzur

Spoiler
The AC helps slow down the digitalis growth, but you do need to cut it off before building. I'd use 6 digitalis pulse cannons. There are two pads, one at the 3 power zones and one a little above. Put 2 cannons on those pads to shoot at the digitalis, and have 4 in reserve just above on the island. When they run out of ammo, swap them with two of the reserves. 3 sets gives them enough time to rearm and heal before being rotated back in. Do that a few times until all the digitalis to the left is cut off and the stuff on the right is pushed back a bit. (I'd do this before taking the next island, using a sprayer in the powerzone on the island above since bombers weren't available yet.)

Then, when you're ready, when the two shooting cannons are at about half ammo, move the top one and build a relay. As soon as it's built, move the bottom one and build a relay. Then move a PC in to the power zones to keep the digitalis back permanently. With all those reactors, you'll probably want to use the other two for beams.

Try collectors in the power zones to reduce the number of reactors you need -- works best if you can terraform them a big flat area to turn green.
[close]
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

Godsbrother

I really enjoyed this map.  I liked how the variable spore emitter gave a soft tech limit instead of a hard limit on reactors.  
My solution for the final island was
Spoiler
to make masses of mortars and shuttle them back and forth until I could finally make a beachhead for the guppies with cannons/sprayers and shields,  was a very close thing even though I sent a lot.  I'm curious if many people did that too or if most people figured out how to get to the spore emitter, then directly to the island
[close]

@pasqualz  you might try destroying a couple reactors, I think I did all but the very last part of the map on 3,  then 4 maybe 5 for the final assault.  Even then that was a lot of spores.  I think I'll have to try this one again from a save just to see what it looks like when you build the limit of reactors
"If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true, and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."   Penn Jillette

Clean0nion

Quote from: Godsbrother on March 22, 2014, 09:37:20 PM
I think I'll have to try this one again from a save just to see what it looks like when you build the limit of reactors
You have a maximum of 29 reactors after all extra reactors have been collected. Placing them all would result in a round of 841 spores taking just over 280 seconds to launch (because they have a 10 frame delay between each spore).
Obviously, a minute is only 60 seconds. So you would have spores firing constantly.

Placing 14 reactors would have 196 spores per round. This takes just over 65 seconds to fire - so in short, the spore difficulty caps after 14 reactors.

It would also be very noisy.

hbarudi

Came back for this map, got most of it except the inhibitor island.
No matter what I do, the inhibitor island is covered with creeper and can't clear enough for relay let alone a nullifier.

yum-forum

1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last