Custom Map #232: Domorthea. By: Clean0nion

Started by AutoPost, February 17, 2014, 04:54:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #232: Domorthea

Author: Clean0nion
Size: 256x256

Desc:
In the depths of the Costarella system, coasting towards an unknown desert planet, an asteroid field stands in your path: Domorthea, wrecker of spacecraft. And now it's infested with Creeper. Features a linear path of progress, successive areas of increasing difficulty, and a spore-maniacal enemy that adapts to your reactor count and releases spores once a minute. #Costarella #Void #Islands #CustomEnemy #CRPL #Spores #Digitalis #TechLimits #Hard #Puzzle #Slog

burguertime

#NoEnergy
#ModifiedUnitCosts
#AnnoyingAsHell
#NoTurtling
#VeryRestrictedUnitLimit
#WhatAreCollectors?

lolz.
Don't make a slog just because. Be like Master Mapmaker SPIFFEN:
Quote from: themaskedcrusader on October 05, 2010, 05:09:33 PM
(...)Difficulty is subjective. (...)
SPIFFEN chooses to rate each map as trivial because they believe that the difficulty of the map depends on the capability of the player.
BAD RATING: MEASUREMENT OF MAP HARDNESS.
Quote from: DumbCreeperGamer"Ugh, me no finish map, map too hard, ME RATE ONE.
oOga OoGa to you too.

Clean0nion

Quote from: burguertime on February 17, 2014, 08:49:24 AM
#NoEnergy
#ModifiedUnitCosts
#AnnoyingAsHell
#NoTurtling
#VeryRestrictedUnitLimit
#WhatAreCollectors?

lolz.
I ran out of the character limit but wanted to keep the prose.

I'm checking periodically to see if anyone's beaten it... so far, nobody!

teknotiss

Quote from: Clean0nion on February 17, 2014, 08:59:45 AM
#NoEnergy
#ModifiedUnitCosts
#AnnoyingAsHell
#NoTurtling
#VeryRestrictedUnitLimit
#WhatAreCollectors?

lolz.

i know you can make great maps so what just happened?
was it your intent to make a zero fun map?
cos i get the impression from your comment that you don't want people to win, or perhaps even play.
unit limits are annoying in general, so super harsh limits like these ones just take away any fun factor for me, the map design is ok, but D spread is so huge it's clearly just going to be an artificial slog. i like sloggy missions, if i get full access to at least all non titan weapons, but i dislike artificial dragging out of a map by limiting units so much, also if it took you 4+ hours i'm not inclined to give it much time ::)
looking forwards to you next one
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Clean0nion

Quote from: teknotiss on February 17, 2014, 09:52:13 AM
Quote from: Clean0nion on February 17, 2014, 08:59:45 AM
#NoEnergy
#ModifiedUnitCosts
#AnnoyingAsHell
#NoTurtling
#VeryRestrictedUnitLimit
#WhatAreCollectors?

lolz.

i know you can make great maps so what just happened?
was it your intent to make a zero fun map?
cos i get the impression from your comment that you don't want people to win, or perhaps even play.
unit limits are annoying in general, so super harsh limits like these ones just take away any fun factor for me, the map design is ok, but D spread is so huge it's clearly just going to be an artificial slog. i like sloggy missions, if i get full access to at least all non titan weapons, but i dislike artificial dragging out of a map by limiting units so much, also if it took you 4+ hours i'm not inclined to give it much time ::)
looking forwards to you next one

THIS is the map that, out of all, I put the most effort into. THIS is the map that I love the most. THIS is the map that I made first, and that inspired the rest of my creations.
Quote from: teknotiss on February 17, 2014, 09:52:13 AMi know you can make great maps so what just happened?
This is in my opinion the greatest of my maps.

Quote from: teknotiss on February 17, 2014, 09:52:13 AMwas it your intent to make a zero fun map?
It was my intent to make a map that does not change difficulty based on time but rather on progress (where progress is measured by the number of reactors).

Quote from: teknotiss on February 17, 2014, 09:52:13 AMcos i get the impression from your comment that you don't want people to win, or perhaps even play.
The impression you should get is that no-one at the time of that comment had beat the map other than myself. Nothing else.

Quote from: teknotiss on February 17, 2014, 09:52:13 AMunit limits are annoying in general, so super harsh limits like these ones just take away any fun factor for me
Fair enough.

Quote from: teknotiss on February 17, 2014, 09:52:13 AMit's clearly just going to be an artificial slog
What does that even mean?

Quote from: teknotiss on February 17, 2014, 09:52:13 AMi dislike artificial dragging out of a map
Again! "artificial"?

Quote from: teknotiss on February 17, 2014, 09:52:13 AMif it took you 4+ hours i'm not inclined to give it much time
That's an excellent reason not to comment on it!!

I'd like to forward you to a post by Virgil that was obviously inspired by a comment I made (which I have dishonoured my making this post in the first place):
http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=15512.0

And I see now that Ragi has posted a score of slightly less than half my time. So, yeah.

Grayzzur

You had this one out before Colonial Space. I'm surprised it took this long to post it. This beast has already sucked 3 hours of my life away. What's different in this version?
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

Clean0nion

Quote from: Grayzzur on February 17, 2014, 10:38:05 AM
You had this one out before Colonial Space. I'm surprised it took this long to post it. This beast has already sucked 3 hours of my life away. What's different in this version?
Nothing - it's exactly the same. I've just not a had a period of sufficient procrastination so far in order to release it.

teknotiss

context is missing from text i prefer speech communication, so i sometimes type as i talk, but of course there is no tone in text, my apologies, the post wasn't intended to offend, just my opinions
i also forget to put in emoticons sometimes  ???

Quote from: Clean0nion on February 17, 2014, 10:07:00 AM
Quote from: teknotiss on February 17, 2014, 09:52:13 AMit's clearly just going to be an artificial slog

Quote from: teknotiss on February 17, 2014, 09:52:13 AMi dislike artificial dragging out of a map
Again! "artificial"?

ah clarity is key isn't it ::) "artificial slog" (dragging out time by unit limits and CRPL) as opposed to straight up "tons of creeper slog" i dislike the former and really enjoy the latter. odd i know but that's personal preference for you.

and if you took my comments badly, apologies, i guessed from the reply on the other post (that is gone now, wow dissassociative moment when i saw it didn't exist anymore :), the internet is odd) that you weren't touchy about other people opinions about your maps.
pretty sure i got that from your post, but obviously i can't check now cos it's gone :o
if this is the best map in your opinion groovy man, don't be bothered that it isn't mine.
just so you know (cos like most people i tend only to comment on maps i dislike) i think that swimming pool is my favourite of your's for fun, and the asteriod one was the best playing one for me, took a few goes to get the strategy down.
later dude 8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Clean0nion

Quote from: teknotiss on February 17, 2014, 11:29:36 AM
context is missing from text i prefer speech communication, so i sometimes type as i talk, but of course there is no tone in text, my apologies, the post wasn't intended to offend, just my opinions
i also forget to put in emoticons sometimes  ???

Quote from: Clean0nion on February 17, 2014, 10:07:00 AM

Again! "artificial"?

ah clarity is key isn't it ::) "artificial slog" (dragging out time by unit limits and CRPL) as opposed to straight up "tons of creeper slog" i dislike the former and really enjoy the latter. odd i know but that's personal preference for you.

and if you took my comments badly, apologies, i guessed from the reply on the other post (that is gone now, wow dissassociative moment when i saw it didn't exist anymore :), the internet is odd) that you weren't touchy about other people opinions about your maps.
pretty sure i got that from your post, but obviously i can't check now cos it's gone :o
if this is the best map in your opinion groovy man, don't be bothered that it isn't mine.
just so you know (cos like most people i tend only to comment on maps i dislike) i think that swimming pool is my favourite of your's for fun, and the asteriod one was the best playing one for me, took a few goes to get the strategy down.
later dude 8)
Time for some more clarity!
I'm sure I offended you somehow in my post - if I did, I didn't mean to! And about me not being touchy - that's correct. I'll criticise as I want, given half a chance, and I'll accept criticism of my work. That's not to say I won't argue against it!
It is a general rule on these forums that if you don't have anything to say, don't say it. I'd like to think that this rule does not apply to my own work.
Anyway - I've written this post but somehow I feel that I've not brought up the point I originally wanted to make. Oh well.
Have a nice day!

teknotiss

Quote from: Clean0nion on February 17, 2014, 12:00:00 PM
I'm sure I offended you somehow in my post - if I did, I didn't mean to! And about me not being touchy - that's correct. I'll criticise as I want, given half a chance, and I'll accept criticism of my work. That's not to say I won't argue against it!
It is a general rule on these forums that if you don't have anything to say, don't say it. I'd like to think that this rule does not apply to my own work.
Anyway - I've written this post but somehow I feel that I've not brought up the point I originally wanted to make. Oh well.
Have a nice day!

:D i lol'ed, it was just the vehemence of your arguement made me think i'd touched a nerve, no worries then!  8)

Altren

Replayed this map, only because it was marked as unplayed. Had a little hope, that you made it even better.
Glad I forgot how I played it before, but it seems, that my time is slightly worse than it was (I had many episodes, where I was just waiting, and even in this map I was overbuilding much).
Great map. A little bit too big IMHO, at the end I was playing at, like, 0.3x speed due to lag. That was quiet surprising, because after destroying spore tower I had only few active units and several units, that were sending packets (Sprayers-collectors)

burguertime

Yo guys, tone it down.

Don't rage over a map.

We have a saying here in Brazil, that

Quote"taste is like certain soft part of human anatomy.

When a person wants to force ones' taste upon someone else, something is VERY wrong."

I understand that Onion had tons of time tuning it so it becomes a real pain to finish the map. If that's how he rocks, rock on!

Its like bored to death or Liberation Pinball. that caters to some tastes, but not to the masses.

Do not give in to cognitive dissonance, just mark hidden on the map and move on. There will be tons of unfinished maps, and the tags Onion put on already marked it as a Nay to me.
Don't make a slog just because. Be like Master Mapmaker SPIFFEN:
Quote from: themaskedcrusader on October 05, 2010, 05:09:33 PM
(...)Difficulty is subjective. (...)
SPIFFEN chooses to rate each map as trivial because they believe that the difficulty of the map depends on the capability of the player.
BAD RATING: MEASUREMENT OF MAP HARDNESS.
Quote from: DumbCreeperGamer"Ugh, me no finish map, map too hard, ME RATE ONE.
oOga OoGa to you too.

Trantos1

OK I've repeatedly tryed this map and just can't get off the starting block.  I know I need to grab the relays then work 'east' but I never manage to do that and stop the digitalis.  What an I missing?

Grayzzur

Quote from: Trantos1 on February 17, 2014, 10:53:18 PM
OK I've repeatedly tryed this map and just can't get off the starting block.  I know I need to grab the relays then work 'east' but I never manage to do that and stop the digitalis.  What an I missing?

Spoiler

• Place CN as close to southern tip of starting island as possible.
  • Build 1 collector (in the green) to pick up the message artifact. (Read it -- important clue on map's mechanics.)
  • Move the CN further south, now that the message artifact is out of the way.
  • You will need all 5 collectors to reach the relay. Don't destroy the first one until necessary.
  • Start building a pulse cannon. Time it so it's only building while the 30th build packet is travelling to a collector. (Activate/de-activate.) You can have 1 pulse cannon almost built by the time you get to the relay tecj -- but do not slow down the building of the collectors.
  • Relays are cheap here. Use them to build back up to where you need pulse cannons (brown area, northeast corner of the island, in the digitalis -- three of them, including the one you just finished building).
  • Destroy your collectors one at a time and build them up in the green area. Make sure they are spread out as far as possible, with very little overlap. Use relays to help spread them out if needed.
  • Once the 5th collector is relocated to the starting green area (and you should already have 3 digitalis pulse cannons holding back the digitalis), then you can build a 4th pulse cannon and a nullifier to take out that emitter. Don't let this PC shoot constantly, conserve its ammo just to keep the creeper off the green area. You need the energy for the other cannons.
  • Once that's gone, build a beam before putting a reactor in the PZ.
  • Now you can stretch relays down to the AC emitter and set up some sprayers to collect AC for you, as well as get a forge and those two totems going for upgrades, and plan your assault on the second island.
TIP: Save the game anytime you're about to build additional reactors. You did read those message artifacts, right?
[close]
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

Clean0nion

Quote from: Grayzzur on February 17, 2014, 11:44:10 PM
Quote from: Trantos1 on February 17, 2014, 10:53:18 PM

Spoiler

• Place CN as close to southern tip of starting island as possible.
  • Build 1 collector (in the green) to pick up the message artifact. (Read it -- important clue on map's mechanics.)
  • Move the CN further south, now that the message artifact is out of the way.
  • You will need all 5 collectors to reach the relay. Don't destroy the first one until necessary.
  • Start building a pulse cannon. Time it so it's only building while the 30th build packet is travelling to a collector. (Activate/de-activate.) You can have 1 pulse cannon almost built by the time you get to the relay tecj -- but do not slow down the building of the collectors.
  • Relays are cheap here. Use them to build back up to where you need pulse cannons (brown area, northeast corner of the island, in the digitalis -- three of them, including the one you just finished building).
  • Destroy your collectors one at a time and build them up in the green area. Make sure they are spread out as far as possible, with very little overlap. Use relays to help spread them out if needed.
  • Once the 5th collector is relocated to the starting green area (and you should already have 3 digitalis pulse cannons holding back the digitalis), then you can build a 4th pulse cannon and a nullifier to take out that emitter. Don't let this PC shoot constantly, conserve its ammo just to keep the creeper off the green area. You need the energy for the other cannons.
  • Once that's gone, build a beam before putting a reactor in the PZ.
  • Now you can stretch relays down to the AC emitter and set up some sprayers to collect AC for you, as well as get a forge and those two totems going for upgrades, and plan your assault on the second island.
TIP: Save the game anytime you're about to build additional reactors. You did read those message artifacts, right?
[close]
Alternatively...
Spoiler
Don't build a PC while the collectors are building. Well, you can if you want.
The moment that you grab the relay tech, build a line of relays down to AC island. Build a sprayer here - make sure you set it to Collect AC and Dispatch Excess.
While all that is building, move your collectors up as Grayzzur explained. Make sure to replace every other collector with a relay on the little islands.
You'll need to build four blasters to stop the digitalis - but only build two.
Once the first is done building (you might still have a collector or two still being built) build another sprayer, this time on the green island. Make sure it has access to digitalis.
Now your two blasters can handle the AC digitalis.
Build another blaster near the emitter, nullify it, build three or four beams and disperse them throughout the asteroid belt and the island. Build a reactor on the PZ.
Now connect the totems and build a forge. You only need one relay on the AC island so you may have to reposition it.
[close]