Custom Map #148: Mediterranean. By: ThirdParty

Started by AutoPost, January 26, 2014, 12:14:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavemaniac

Quote from: ThirdParty on January 26, 2014, 11:16:28 AM

The high scores list keeps track of players' best scores and players' best times, and can be sorted by either.  So it didn't seem necessary to keep score and time in lock-step with one another.  I figured that players who wanted to play without unit restrictions could compete for best time, and players who wanted to try the voluntary unit restriction challenge, and thus face a map that required a different strategy from other maps, could compete for best score.

Everyone is different, but my preferred play method is the speed run - probably because the original Creeper World had the score tied directly to the time.

With the advent of points to pick up in CW2, I modified my play method - I'd first play for a fast time, then replay for my best score.

Two games for the price of one!

Can't wait to try your map dude.
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Michionlion

It seems like some people are being terribly one-sided here.  I think that having multiple play-styles is ALWAYS a good thing, no matter if one is for people who enjoy highscores or not.  I would definitely encourage you, 3P, to make more maps like this.  I, for one, really enjoyed it, although I never got around to finishing...
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

teknotiss

Quote from: Helper on January 26, 2014, 02:54:20 PM
Quote from: ThirdParty on January 26, 2014, 02:43:20 PM
How does the existence of a second high scores list, for people who accepted unit restrictions, interfere with you enjoying the map your way?

My nemesis is lack of Totems/Aether. The whole Forge function is such an incredible improvement over prior versions of CW, and not having it available is like being reined in.
H

in this i agree with Helper, the score penalty i could prob live with (and i may eventually replay this map, it just put's me off for now), but the killer is the lack of upgrades, make the forge cheap and whack a limited aether or two down and this map is much more playable.
also i think berthas are more useful so i'd have done the points the other way round.
don't worry about what we say too much, it's our opinions, and you have made some really fun maps.
i guess being forced to respond to threats is fun, and being forced to alter you play style without any threats isn't for me.
still i give you top scores for your maps designs, you clearly work at them.
make more maps, i just want you to remember us terpers are already punished everytime we start our first terp! ;)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Grauniad

I respectfully suggest that you guys take the "what makes a popular map" conversation to the Custom Map Discussion Board where other map makers may find and participate in the thread. It is a discussion that happens a number of times for each release of Creeper World.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Katra

This one was an interesting exercise in sneaking collectors etc in between strands of digitalis. (And in placing snipers to keep the runners from knocking out big sections of my network.)

Done without either terps or berthas, and I figured the aether packs weren't worth the effort. (once I finally spotted them.)
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

PreciousRoy

One of my favorite maps played to date.  So often maps played end up resembling an old Risk board -- with 'one army' remaining in each of the conquered territories, forgotten as the fronts advance. 

The 'digi on this map makes you pay for conquered areas with a standing army if you wish to develop them beyond collectors.  Terrific initial defense, and several strategic chokepoints.  Finished w/o terps or bertha, but I agree with above comments that having them optional is a plus for replay 'scorched earth' assault.

Wheatmidge

I sortof wonder if I was the only one who actually cut off all the digitalis and expanded. I had blasters parked all around the outside of the map preventing the digitalis from coming back.
It also took me a bit to realize that there was no draining the western ocean. Though instead of just accepting that I had mortars constantly killing it off... even though there was no point to it.

I really enjoy the point penalty for terps and berthas. Terping makes this level MUCH easier because then you can build sniper towers and flatten areas to fit more reactors. So playing without terps is a fun challenge.

Loren Pechtel

Berthas aren't really very useful here, there's just not enough creeper to warrant them.  I can't imagine how to do it without terps, though.