Custom map with the same name .

Started by SPIFFEN, April 16, 2010, 12:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPIFFEN

What is the best way to downloade 2 maps with the same name ?

( This is why i have my own name before my map name )
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

Daos

I believe that every map has some kind of internal ID based on it's checksum and the name is just decoration. (I believe that is how the game finds out, if you upload scores for an edited map). So it should be possible, to upload 2000 Maps with the same name but other design. (But I did it not test yet.)

SPIFFEN

Hmm , go in to the custom map page and search for : Star Trek
Then it should come up at least 2 maps ,
and if you downloade them 1 by 1 ,
you get asked if you want to replace it .

So is the best way to rename the map , or will that confuse something else ?
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

knucracker

The name of the map (and the file name) are arbitrary to the game and score posting.  Each map has a unique ID independent of the name.  So you can save the map with any name you like.  When you load it into the game and post scores, the UID is used.

archn

Quote from: virgilw on April 16, 2010, 01:36:34 PM
The name of the map (and the file name) are arbitrary to the game and score posting.  Each map has a unique ID independent of the name.  So you can save the map with any name you like.  When you load it into the game and post scores, the UID is used.

Is it possible to hex edit a UID to submit a score to a map for another map?  Just curious

Karsten75

Quote from: archn on April 17, 2010, 10:34:13 PM
Quote from: virgilw on April 16, 2010, 01:36:34 PM

Is it possible to hex edit a UID to submit a score to a map for another map?  Just curious

In theory everything is possible. In practice, there may be several hurdles to that approach.

UpperKEES

A smart UID contains a checksum and I have the strong impression Virgil is a very smart guy.... ;)

When you change the slightest thing in the map editor, a map is not considered to be the same.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

knucracker

Nope, you can't change the id in a map....  it's more complex than that.  As UpperKees says, change the map at all and the UID is no longer the same.