Main Menu

TrialPay

Started by knucracker, February 04, 2010, 09:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knucracker

So I have been approached by a company called TrialPlay.  They offer a way customers could get CreeperWorld for "free".  Of course free means completing some offer (sign up for something, buy something at the Gap, etc).  I have no experience with them or what people's reaction to them is.  My initial reaction is on the thumbs down side, but I'm not really sure why.  I guess it seems a little strange to me the idea that someone wants to buy CW, but they don't have $10.... so they'll go sign up for directv instead to get CW for 'free'???  Anyway I don't want to poison the well too much before I ask;

Does anyone has any experience with them or any opinions on the matter?

UpperKEES

Nope, but I'm sure I would rather pay $10 than sign up for something with all kinds of consequences, even if I wouldn't know the game that well.

Besides this you might want to ask yourself if you want to be associated with certain products, companies and their reputations. People could come complaining here at the forums....
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Karsten75

Those things always turn me off. TINSATAAFL.  But hey, if you get money, I don't think it will turn people off Creeper World or Knuckle Cracker. I just never would do one of those offers, since I *know* that somewhere down that line it is going to cost me, if only in terms of a lot of spam in my mailbox. I'd suggest you perhaps investigate carefully how your key codes might be compromised or owther ways this will make available a hackable CW or whatever.

knucracker

Good points....
I was most concerned about the reputation aspect and being associated with 'scams'.... even if all of the offers are legit, some people might just look at the whole thing and think poorly of it.  I'd not really even though about the delivery and support aspect... one more thing in the "don't do it column".

The Creep Destroyer

As other people have said, I would just pay the 10$ instead of getting it for *free* and having up to 100's of dollars in hidden fees, spam ect. Course, it doesn't matter to me sence i already bought the game.
Starcraft 2... where the creeper dies to nukes.
I use lightmage to record my scores.

betadata

a quick goggle search brought mostly negative comments,  not to mention that goggle auto fill in added "scam" after trialpay. IMHO I believe there are better ways to market the game.

Aurzel

yeah these kinds of sites are never good news from what i've heard and seen, i think its best you keep away from them

SPIFFEN

I've seen more and more programs has this ,
you have downloaded the free v. and this thing pop up and says you can get the pro v if you bye something else .
I dont think i like it .

Maybe you should make an vote thread for it ,
but my vote will be no .
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

Sauffaus

Also to consider:

If you "give" your game away, you effectively devaluate it, in the eyes of your real paying customers... you will associate CW and Knuckle Cracker with "free", which is not beneficial in the long run for your business.

Schemes like this, are perhaps lucrative in the beginning, but it often turns out to be like pissing in your pants to keep warm... not a lasting feeling :)

teengamer

I've seen it before and i believe my brother has used it. He loves it, as he doesn't have to pay for some of the products he buys. It would just be another way to buy the game. If you get the money in the end, who cares?

almo

I'd stay off this. It immediately sounds like the stuff Zynga does where you can get free points for "completing offers." Some of them are pretty evil. Do a quiz, give cell number to get results, reply with PIN to verify. Now you're signed up for a $10/month mobile service. o_0

Kamron3

Offers require you to pay anyway.

No.

_k

NoobSauce

I don't know what TrialPay looks like from the developer's side, but client-side I don't really care whether or not something has a TrialPay option.  mIRC has an option to trialpay (note: How does capitalization work with lowercase proper nouns at the beginning of a sentence?  iPhone, iPod, iPad, iDoEverything, mIRC, etc) but I don't associate it with anything sleazy...

Ultimately, I'd say that unless TrialPay pays you more than what you're selling the game for, or people demand a TrialPay option, or it looks like a "very" good idea from your end, you should stick with the "$10 through conventional internet means" approach.

My words are not very good today for some reason, but I think virgil is more asking whether he should add a trial pay option...  and not make it trialpay only...  after all there are some people who use it despite the customer complaints.
BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.