Custom Map: Alien Alter Ruin

Started by AutoPost, April 18, 2010, 03:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: Alien Alter Ruin

Author: Sauffaus

Desc:
More or less true to the original game plot. You visit to a dangerous alien ruin. If you can finish this in 30 mins, you are the über expert, most will need 45 mins. During play, you are forced to make a couple of highly unpleasant choices. Enjoy!

katanna

I loved it!  And by "I loved it" I mean I hated it!  And by "I hated it" I mean it was a great challenge, always having to stay on your toes.  Thanks for the great map!

Matthew

Karsten75

Can't figure out these complex puzzles. :(

Seems you have to wait for the creeper to flood the area to the right so you can build connections to the reactor and mortar techs. But once that area has flooded to that extent, I don't see how it can be reclaimed.

As for the drone tech, I have no idea - perhaps right near the end, when you are about ready to connect to the totems? What use will that be?

UpperKEES

This map has been on my to-do list for a long time. What a superb map!  8) Outstanding graphics and a great puzzle! Too bad you don't make maps any more....

I spent 8 attempts and just as many hours trying to figure out the best approach for me and I guess I found it. :P Unfortunately I made 2 mistakes, so I'm sure someone else can shave off about 50 seconds.

QuoteShould I have labeled it "Expert only" you think?
Perhaps I get to focused on my own way of playing, and taking the strategies for granted.
I don't know.
#4 - Sauffaus - 02/09/2010 - 10:44

I would certainly have rated it 'Expert Only', because I'm sure only a few will be able to solve this little gem in Creeper World.

QuoteTechnique
Hey Sauffaus,
I wouldn't mind hearing what tools or techniques you used to make the underlying graphic. It might be educational to other map makers (and quite possibly for me as well! :)
#7 - Virgil - 02/09/2010 - 19:52

Quote@ Virgil, Technique
I will perhaps do a graphics-tutorial w. screenshots, while making my next map.
But I am kinda hoping, that some of the many tricks I use become obsolete, when the next map-editor with "gamut-control" is released.
When will that be Virgil?
#10 - Sauffaus - 02/10/2010 - 01:18

It's a pity you never came back to this or created that tutorial. :( I would have loved learning how to make maps like this. Maybe when CW2 is released?

Thanks for this one and on to The Alien Tech Library....
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

RichieRich

Jeany UpperKEES,

How did you do that in 16 mins? Seriously impressed.

I actually went back and did this again last night and came in roughly at the same score as previosuly 30 mins.

OK, got the storage and went down to the reactors. Got speed and built a load of blasters and went up and got the drone. Built 5 and cleared off the right to get the mortar and reactor. A mistake I think was to go back after the reactor and get the mortar seperately. After that, cleared out the top with the drones, moved up with the blasters, built about 4 speed and total 5 power and one drone and finished.

Really interested in this - I played this map for hours and thought I had come up with the best route. Is the above roughly how you did it?

I think this is one of the best maps I have played. Beautiful design.

UpperKEES

I'll give away something, but not all of it for 2 reasons:
- I'm not sure if Sauffaus would like a solution posted in the comments of his map. I do this (partially) for my own maps, but can't decide for others (especially because he didn't give hints in the old comments).
- I have to admit that I wouldn't like it when someone takes my first spot after just reading my comments. I went through 8 hours of struggling, thinking and frustration, and that's exactly why the victory tastes so sweet. This doesn't really go for you though, because you've probably spent just as much time on it as I did, but I'm sure you'll be able to figure out what I did yourself.

My hints for you:
I think Sauffaus intended the player to move Odin City 5 times. Now think: why did you have to move 5 times? I moved only 3 times. ;)

The time set by Bort (19:31) convinced me that this was possible. I just did it better. ;D

Sauffaus

QuoteI think Sauffaus intended the player to move Odin City 5 times. Now think: why did you have to move 5 times? I moved only 3 times.

Actually... I really only intended 3 moves. First forced move at the start included! Beside that, I'm convinced that the map CAN be completed with only 2 moves, but that will yield a poorer score in the end (longer completion-time).

More than that I won't tell... coming generations will have to figure the rest out for themselves :D

UpperKEES

Quote from: Sauffaus on August 06, 2010, 08:29:18 AM
Actually... I really only intended 3 moves. First forced move at the start included! Beside that, I'm convinced that the map CAN be completed with only 2 moves, but that will yield a poorer score in the end (longer completion-time).

Hmmm, so I actually played as intended.... In that case I don't understand why the other completion times (including yours) are much slower.

And finishing with only 2 moves of OC? I really don't see how to do that, so I must have missed a possibility to bridge with a flying unit. The mystery remains....

Edit: Sauffaus just admitted that 2 moves isn't possible (as the techs are mandatory). I'm also convinced that 3 moves is only possible with bridging.

TommyCogs

Very fun map... I found the drones useful in clearing the area that I was to move to, although not necessary