Fast Forward option

Started by Qbear, December 11, 2009, 06:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qbear

It would be nice to have a 2x time button.  Sometimes it can get boring waiting for all your stuff to build and it would be nice to half the time for everything, etc.  I know you have a frame limit, so that might affect the speed upgrades, but I don't know how it all works, so just putting this out there. 

Kamron3

Good idea. I support this. Then again, people would buzz through levels in less than minutes when it should take you 30-60 minutes to complete a level. :(

Aurzel

no i assume the whole game would speed up not just your build speed

Qbear

yeah, your score would drop at 2x the rate too.  It wouldn't have any affect on gameplay or scores.

knucracker

So this is a REAL tricky option.  I actually have support in the game for fast forward (at least I did about 3/4th the way through development).  I experimented heavily with this...  I kept it in the game for about a week and then concluded that it was poison for the game.  It cheapened the whole experience.... it made it so you could play a game faster for sure, but you would tend to play differently.  You'd throw stuff away and not care so much because you'd just rebuild.  For me it crossed the game from strategy to arcade.

Now all of that said, I could still consider adding it back in.  The implementation is really tricky, since as you know there is a fixed frame rate...  but I have a nice little work around for doubling (or more) the speed of the simulation while keeping the frame rate the same.  At least I did through most of the development.  I'd have to check if anything broke in the last things I added.

I'd also have to find a place to put it in the UI.... and I'd have to decide if the speed up is always available or just on custom maps (presumably it would always be available).  I get a little nervous about adding anything that can change the game play of the the regular missions....

Kamron3

I was thinking the same thing to. It's better to leave it out.

haloguy48

Quote from: Kamron3 on December 11, 2009, 10:31:24 PM
I was thinking the same thing to. It's better to leave it out.

I have to agree, running with x2 can also make the game alot harder. If you lose something and the creeper moves fast, your ___ for the rest of the game. Not to mention, we would get 'speed builders' who can already beat a game fast, own most of the highscores due to more attempts in a shorter period of time. Not saying speed buildings is bad (I do it sometimes) but it takes the thinking out of it. Instead of thinking of a few moves ahead, you just hit the 2x button and wait. A nice short, simple speedy goal is fine, but when you can do it on every map.... It takes the fun out of it.
~Pew Pew Pew!~ 
Building campaigns from the echos of forgotten experiences.
~Pew Pew Pew!~

Kamron3

Aurzel

i was thinking more that the speed could be adjusted during the game, so that it could be turned on while you're waiting for a mortart to be built or something and then slowed back to normal about 20 seconds later while also the option should be unlockable like maybe after you beat the campaign with double down or maybe unlockable along with double down

thomaswarner

Quote from: Aurzel on December 12, 2009, 04:59:43 AM
i was thinking more that the speed could be adjusted during the game, so that it could be turned on while you're waiting for a mortart to be built or something and then slowed back to normal about 20 seconds later while also the option should be unlockable like maybe after you beat the campaign with double down or maybe unlockable along with double down

Yeah, and maybe there could be seperate high scores. If that's no too hard.

wessew

Fish all day sleep all night

Fisherck

Some maps may be slow at points, but this game is made so it can be played laid back (at times), and the Creeper is constantly moving, constantly changing its position. What if a wall breaks while it is x2 and floods part of your network and happens to fast to react. A hidden and/or inactive emitter starts and, you guessed it, floods your network. The Creeper overflows a basin, a blaster blows up from being exposed, an emitter increases output. All of these events could happen pretty fast, and you would have half the time to react.

These, I think, are good reasons not to have a x2 button for this game.
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

UpperKEES

Virgil has explained here why he isn't too eager to implement a fast forward option (at least for the in-game maps).
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

zeff