Custom Map: mthw3vc: Deception?

Started by AutoPost, May 15, 2010, 01:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: mthw3vc: Deception?

Author: mthw2vc

Desc:
This doesn't look anything like a military base. Pull together what you can and prepare for a lengthy battle. The "muck" is more intense than anything we've seen so far; this will NOT be easy (Especially on DD, which I have beaten)
REQUIRES USE OF THE CRAZONIUM "BRIDGE" TACTIC TO COMPLETE

Tibz

Dull tedious map with no room for experiment... you must do it in a certain way with split second timing. Map is possible but no fun.

Tedious and uninteresting. Don''t bother wasting your time downloading

mthw2vc

I'll be honest, it is a little tedious, but there are multiple workable ways to beat it. The timing is not split-second for anything. If you manage your limited blasters well, you can get the truly endangered survivor with more than 30 seconds to spare (For a real splitsecond rescue try this map). The midgame is the dull segment, but if you work fast, it can be over in under 10 minutes. Even if you use a completely different midgame strategy, you can just wait for the creeper to become weak enough to be pushed back on its own at ~50 minutes (The creeper's intensity is reduced by about 20% every 5 minutes). I wouldn't even have made this map if it didn't sit on a key plot point.

Karsten75

Quote from: Tibz on May 16, 2010, 12:39:21 PM
Dull tedious map with no room for experiment... you must do it in a certain way with split second timing. Map is possible but no fun.

Tedious and uninteresting. Don''t bother wasting your time downloading

Kind of harsh...

mthw2vc

Now that I've gotten around to replaying this, I'm astonished by how fast I can finish. Under 10 minutes is definitely possible with more a bit more aggression, as I had almost 100 stored energy at the end. ;)
EDIT: FTW! Now to try for 9000 score...
EDIT: It's over 9000! 5:59/9091

UpperKEES

Tried 7 more times, making a total of about 40. ;)

Lost a relay due to a deficit (see attached screenshot), so I give up now. Would have tried even more often when some speed was available, but the lack of it makes it a pain in the *ss to keep starting over. I know I can wait for the emitter intensity to decrease, but that's not my style of play.

I started with 260 full storage (after you saying you never went under 100 with 300 storage), but this still wasn't enough. Maybe I should have micromanaged the mortar, but I don't like that. I was already happy to be able to keep an eye on my blasters.

Deception? Yes!  :-\

To be honest I'm glad I didn't come to the bridging part, because that would have been even more annoying with this speed....

PS: I can remove the image if you like, although I don't think it will help other players much.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

mthw2vc

Quote from: UpperKEES on June 23, 2010, 10:54:05 AM
Tried 7 more times, making a total of about 40. ;)

Lost a relay due to a deficit (see attached screenshot), so I give up now. Would have tried even more often when some speed was available, but the lack of it makes it a pain in the *ss to keep starting over. I know I can wait for the emitter intensity to decrease, but that's not my style of play.
Well, lucky you, map 4 has 36 free speed nodes... But for now, lack of speed is the main challenge... ;)
I started with 260 full storage (after you saying you never went under 100 with 300 storage), but this still wasn't enough. Maybe I should have micromanaged the mortar, but I don't like that. I was already happy to be able to keep an eye on my blasters.

Deception? Yes!  :-\
I don't know how you get into so much deficit so fast. Really, how do you do it? If it's not working for you, build more storage! The only problem you'll encounter is due to the low packet speed.
To be honest I'm glad I didn't come to the bridging part, because that would have been even more annoying with this speed....
You don't have to send any packets across the bridge to finish... The only totem is in the city, and if you think I'm deceiving you, what does OPS tell you in the first 10 seconds?
PS: I can remove the image if you like, although I don't think it will help other players much.
No need... That will never get them up to my score, and it's likely that most of them have problems elsewhere...

UpperKEES

Quote from: mthw2vc on June 23, 2010, 12:12:38 PM
I don't know how you get into so much deficit so fast. Really, how do you do it? If it's not working for you, build more storage! The only problem you'll encounter is due to the low packet speed.

Probably by losing a relay 2-3 times when it was almost finished and letting 6 blasters + 1 mortar fire with only 4.4 energy.... ;) Without losing the relays I might have made it.

Quote from: mthw2vc on June 23, 2010, 12:12:38 PM
You don't have to send any packets across the bridge to finish... The only totem is in the city, and if you think I'm deceiving you, what does OPS tell you in the first 10 seconds?

Yep, you're right about that one. I hope you don't mind that I didn't read the opening text 40 times and the first time was weeks ago.... :P

Damn, this means I was very close to completing this map!  :(

Maybe, very maybe, I might give it another shot next week when my frustration has faded away a bit. It's just that I hate to go over that initial part (building the relays and saving the first 2 survivors). If I could only save mid game....
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

mthw2vc

That would be great (Especially for levels like this one where there are a lot of mistakes to be made).
I've now uploaded the easy mode if anyone wants to have the satisfaction of obliterating the creeper in something closer to a fair fight, though...
http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/custommapscores.php?uid=340c78bbdf0733c8d37a8d50fc81f3ab