Custom Map: the valley of doom

Started by AutoPost, April 17, 2010, 02:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mthw2vc

These are weird results, I must say...

Karsten75

It would be nice if other players would test this and post their experiences here.

Echo51

2nd layer gone in 4:42, same time on mac osx macbook, and desktop running win vista

3rd layer gone at 7:00, same specs
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...

UpperKEES

Just checked it myself and got the same results as you all have, so I must have remembered incorrectly. I knew I had to change something, but apparently I just had to switch with OC from bottom right to top left, thus losing 8 seconds.

Quote from: Karsten75 on June 04, 2010, 01:00:49 PM
Screenie with 3 walls decayed so that one can build a collector near the upper totem...  Note 7 minutes and the vertical wall is just collapsing.

This on my laptop, with Win 7.

And here, with drastic differences, is the results on my desktop:

I don't get it, what's so drastic? You're comparing two completely different moments. Your results are in line with those of everyone else, so we've just proven that there's no different between different machines.

The only thing that we can't explain is why the walls don't decay symmetrically, but that's the same for every player. Maybe Virgil knows....
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Karsten75

Quote from: UpperKEES on June 04, 2010, 04:59:26 PM

I don't get it, what's so drastic? You're comparing two completely different moments. Your results are in line with those of everyone else, so we've just proven that there's no different between different machines.

The only thing that we can't explain is why the walls don't decay symmetrically, but that's the same for every player. Maybe Virgil knows....

*facepalm*  thought I had both images decay equal amounts of walls. 
* Karsten75 gets the doofus award

Virgil, I'm sorry! Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

UpperKEES

Quote from: UpperKEES on June 04, 2010, 04:59:26 PM

I found the cause of this as well. It's the placement of the totems. Apparently a cell containing a totem doesn't contain creeper, so the top left totem blocks 3 wall elements partially, while the bottom right totem blocks only 2 wall elements.

UpperKEES

Totems blocking creeper made me think; should I consider these as crazonium walls?

So I created attached test map. Apparently cells with a totem do contain creeper, but they are not tested for it during the calculation of the wall decay. You can see this clearly when you look at the attached image; the creeper passes through the gaps in the wall, although these gaps contain a totem.

Karsten75

I found something similar during testing yesterday.

Maybe our Mod chani can move some of this discussion to somewhere more pertinent?

UpperKEES

Yes, that would be nice. I think it belongs to the Gameplay section and I would call it something like: "Wall decaying influenced by totem placement"