Started by AutoPost, July 14, 2024, 07:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #11205: 279-Hartheim

Author: Rennervate / AlexX
Size: 128x255

Desc:

hawgwash

I enjoyed the map Alex.  Brutal start, but once a foothold is established its relatively straightforward with plenty of aether.  I'm curious as to whether it's possible to pick up a Bertha at the beginning and still survive more than a few minutes.  I couldn't.  I lost too much time to get my base established.

Stu

I have a few stubborn tendencies that make maps harder than they have to be. Behold my wisdom: You don't need a forge ASAP, you can use that space for reactors which will probably benefit you more than 10-30 aether worth of upgrades.  The imminent looming danger of doomsday superspores isn't actually forcing you to hurry very much, you can get away with focusing almost entirely on the whole surviving bit.  It's possible to use a terp to make level terrain lower than 10 height, which surprisingly still lets you put buildings there even though it's not perfect.

Quote from: hawgwash on July 15, 2024, 07:57:51 PMBrutal start, but once a foothold is established its relatively straightforward with plenty of aether.

Are there any maps that aren't straightforward once you've got out of the early game and have yourself a neat little base and a forge hooked up?  I think they'd have to be limited in tech or room to build which might not be fun.  I feel like the latter half of all maps is a victory cruise.  I'd be okay with there being a thor or an inhibitor around the middle of the map as win condition for folks who don't want to thoroughly scrub the map of creeper, so long as it can't be cheesed.  To each their own though, this map was neat I had to restart a bunch