Stuck on Loki after Destroying Thor - Bug

Started by Tink, March 19, 2010, 12:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tink

In version 380 of Creeper World, you can still get stuck on Loki by destroying Thor.
If you destroy Thor after the 'fly Thor into the black hole' message, the level just sits there.

You can build anything - even another Thor - but you can't win.
I even tried flying the newly built Thor into the black hole - it didn't work!

This is like the bugs mentioned at Thanks + a bug report and Bug if you beat Loki the wrong way... (WARINING: Spoilers!), but isn't fixed by the update that congratulates you for not using Thor, then acts like you did anyway.

I think the same situation is described in this message http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=554.msg4660#msg4660. But I couldn't find any discussion of the issue in the forum.

Maybe the best way to fix this issue is a catch-all script on the level, which lets you win (somehow) if the nexus has been destroyed, and doesn't require Thor or anything else.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Tink on March 19, 2010, 12:25:28 AM
But I couldn't find any discussion of the issue in the forum.

Quote from: Tink on March 19, 2010, 12:25:28 AM
This is like the bugs mentioned

Hmmm, nothing wrong with contributing something new to an existing thread. Well, at least you used search this time. ;)

I'm not sure if this could be called a bug (the program keeps functioning correctly), but I guess it's an unforeseen situation. Just one question: why would you destroy Thor after you've just read it's going to be flown into the black hole? To me that's similar to manually deleting your gamedata.dat file and then complaining the program doesn't save your progress correctly.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Tink

Quote from: UpperKEES on March 19, 2010, 12:06:09 PM
I'm not sure if this could be called a bug (the program keeps functioning correctly), but I guess it's an unforeseen situation.

I don't think this is "correct" behaviour - because you can get the game to a stage where you can't win or lose the level.

You take a series of allowed game actions, and you can't finish the level whatever you do - I'd call that a bug.
Every other level you either win or lose - and if you think you're in a stalemate,
you can take more allowed actions to win or lose (even if that means destroying all your nodes).
(And yes, there are exceptional custom level edge cases, but none in the campaign.)

It depends on whether an infinite loop is considered a bug or not  :)

Quote from: UpperKEES on March 19, 2010, 12:06:09 PM
Just one question: why would you destroy Thor after you've just read it's going to be flown into the black hole? To me that's similar to manually deleting your gamedata.dat file and then complaining the program doesn't save your progress correctly.

I could give the same reason as recyclotron in this post - you don't let people sacrifice themselves.

Edit: Or maybe I'm just cruel and want to see Odin city sucked into the black hole!

But whatever the reason, I see a significant difference between allowed game actions (destroying Thor or any other node), and messing with the game's data files.

UpperKEES

Okay, let's not get into the discussion whether it is considered a bug or not (yeah, I know, my fault, I started).

When it would have been for real, you would have been stuck on Loki forever. The game simulates this perfectly. ;D

I agree however that it should always be possible to finish a map by winning, losing or giving up, instead of being forced to hit 'Exit Game'. Clearly unforeseen, so it's up to Virgil whether he's going to update it again or doesn't bother.

PS:
Quote from: Tink on March 19, 2010, 08:14:22 PM
you don't let people sacrifice themselves.

Do you think he got out alive when you destroyed Thor? ;)

Quote from: Tink on March 19, 2010, 08:14:22 PM
Or maybe I'm just cruel and want to see Odin city sucked into the black hole!

I assume you played this map solely just to try what would happen in this situation (I do these kind of things as well). Well, you found out, so you're probably not that disappointed that you couldn't finish the map properly, right? :P
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

knucracker

This is probably just one more "if" in the code to prevent this scenario, so I can add it in.