Main Menu

Spores

Started by deathly_god5, October 04, 2010, 05:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathly_god5

Does anyone know if it's possible to make the spores hit a certain spot? The reason is because it would be especially helpful for the storyline I want to make and it would make it easier.

SPIFFEN

Spores usally attack your connection lines ,
so building something close to the edge of where the spores attack from ,
should make them attack that first .

But if it gets destroyed , others spores will attack the next .
so to many spores might mess up your idea .
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

deathly_god5

Well my idea was to place a emitter in a corner or something have a spore hit it and then have the emitter start a little bit after that.

So basically this is how I had wanted the story to go. (summary) Asteroid/s come to the planet a few hit near the base and a few hit the emitter. Soon after, like a couple seconds, the emitter starts producing the creeper.

Unfortunately if I can't get the spore to hit the emitter I'll have to come up with a completely different idea to explain how it got there..

SPIFFEN

Try to build an relay there , and see if an spore hits it , but spore attacks can be abit random ,
so test it alot of times so you get an idea of when the Emitter should start .

The idea is nice =)
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

deathly_god5

Alright thanks. Maybe I can just stick a building on top of the emitter and hope that a spore will hit it. Thanks again for the idea.

UpperKEES

Spores only attack collectors and relays, so if you put a collector on top of an emitter and let the spores arrive a few seconds (i.e. 5 sec) after the start of the map they will all target that one collector. After hitting it the emitter will be revealed and can start emitting (i.e. after 10 seconds).
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

deathly_god5

Thanks, that should work then. I'd start making the map now but I'm supposed to be writing a paper for school. But because I don't really want to I'm just gonna serf the forums for a while longer.

deathly_god5

Alright so I ran into a problem, how do I get the spores to only launch once?

UpperKEES

Use a very long delay (9999) for the second wave. ;)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

deathly_god5

Thanks, I figured that out after I read the help file... probably should've checked there first.

deathly_god5

Even though this isn't related how do you do like in the main story line where there are more than one "opening" messages at different intervals? (in the same map, of course)

Pyxis_GeeK

After the opening text the only way to make more text appear is to create artifacts. Just add more of the story to the artifact text.

Karsten75

Quote from: deathly_god5 on October 05, 2010, 12:16:22 AM
Even though this isn't related how do you do like in the main story line where there are more than one "opening" messages at different intervals? (in the same map, of course)

You should know that in the Story part of the game, Virgil uses techniques that are not available to custom map builders. Specifically in the opening (Hope) and closing (Loki) planets, there are events and objects that cannot be replicated.

deathly_god5

I didn't know that or at least didn't remember that. Thanks for letting me know. I guess that just means I'll just have to change how I present my story.

Pyxis_GeeK

In the few maps I have done I have used the artifacts to further the story. I think it works ok. :) Virgil is supposed to be doing everything in CW2 in the editor so hopefully what we see in the game we can do in CW2 custom maps.