Spore Waves (Level Editor) - Please add a column that lists wave numbers.

Started by Kharnellius, June 18, 2010, 01:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kharnellius

Love the game...

But...whoever decided to add column sorting in the spore wave dialog should be severely and painfully not quite killed.

At some point I must have clicked on the "Time" column and now every wave is out of the original order.  Wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for the fact I saved since that happened and didn't realize it occurred until after I was testing the map (for the umpteenth time).

PLEASE tell me there is a way to undo column sorting.  I have close to 30 waves that were perfectly timed and balanced.  I don't even recall the exact order anymore.

Also, PLEASE add another column so you can sort by wave number.  This way, should anyone have the same misfortune I have experienced, you can undo it.

*mustnotscreaminrage*

UpperKEES

Sorting when clicking column headers is the default behaviour for such a list view. Indeed doesn't make much sense in this case.

Unfortunately CW is in the final stage of development (all by one person by the way and he's currently developing the sequel), so we should expect only one more update with some bug fixes and this probably won't include the map editor, although Virgil is the only one that can really say something about that.

This means that I'm afraid that you'll have to do those spore wave again (you can move them up and down); I hope you'll manage. Looking forward to seeing your first map! :)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Kharnellius

Actually, it looks like all I had to do was close the editor, reopen and load map.  Now it is in correct order.  Simply reloading map won't work.  You have to close down the editor.

*phew!*

SPIFFEN

Then you have save your map during work i guess =)
Usally maps with alot of Spore attacks doesnt get played ,
most players hate to handel them .

But if you give some nice info about the Spore attacks ,
the map might get more played =)
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

Kharnellius

Actually, saving during my work WAS the problem.  Turns out everything is fine though (see previous post).

Trust me I make players aware.  I hate maps that are just stupid hard or don't give you any help.  The spores only become a major problem in the beginning if you don't get the SAM tech quickly and later on if you take too long to finish the map.

UpperKEES

Sounds like a good balance then. Glad it all worked out for you.

But Spiff is right about most people not liking them, so I wouldn't overdo it or set their intensity too high. People might be scared off to play any of your future maps and that would be a shame.

PS: maybe nice to know you can save a map in 2 ways:
- Save map, which saves the map with the name and in the folder that you specify.
- Deploy working map to game, which saves the map to workingmap.cwm, located in the CreeperWorld folder above the customgames folder.

So if you haven't clicked both yet, there's always a way back. :)

Kharnellius

Well, I finally posted my new level.  To be honest, I kind of got distracted for a while and simply forgot to post it.  I made some minor changes and it is up and running now. 

Enjoy!  (If you can *maniacal laughter*)

Maps Currently Awaiting Review....
Date   Author   Title
2010-11-19 01:37:21   Kharnellius   --- Reinforcing Outpost Zulu 9 ---

UpperKEES

Launching lots of spores won't make you more popular, but reviving/bumping old topics is even worse! :P

Hey people, that spore guy is back in town!  * Fetches rope * ;)

Kharnellius

Quote from: UpperKEES on November 19, 2010, 10:26:42 AM
Launching lots of spores won't make you more popular, but reviving/bumping old topics is even worse! :P

Hey people, that spore guy is back in town!  * Fetches rope * ;)
Lol, not going for the popular.  This was intended to be a drawn out battle.  I can beat it in about 20 minutes.  After that it gets really tough.  I seriously have no idea why people are so worried about spores, though.  You do realize you don't even have to build SAM sites right?  A single shot from a blaster renders them dead the second they touch the ground (no spreading, nothing).

As for reanimating the dead (thread), well I figured people from that thread might want to know when I released it.

Karsten75

Funny how many mapmakers just "don't get it." Virgil put it best (and I paraphrase from memory):

Players like something that they can beat. Every guy that you wipe out is going to be negative about you and your maps/game. So if you make a map/game that people simply can't win, then you may get some form of gratification (al-la Berman Post), but not many people will play it. If you are hoping to make money or friends, then that is not the way to do it.

If you simply want to annoy people, then sure, go ahead. You will annoy a few, they will flag the map/game for avoidance and then your map/game will wither in obscurity.

I just play-tested your map prior to approval and I was having fun. I wasn't even close to finishing when the 100-spore waves started coming. While yes, I could easily beat them off by then, it made it hard to play, so I just quite your game without finishing. If that's what you want from people playing your game, you got it. Congrats.

Kharnellius

Quote from: Karsten75 on November 19, 2010, 11:13:24 AM
Funny how many mapmakers just "don't get it." Virgil put it best (and I paraphrase from memory):

Players like something that they can beat. Every guy that you wipe out is going to be negative about you and your maps/game. So if you make a map/game that people simply can't win, then you may get some form of gratification (al-la Berman Post), but not many people will play it. If you are hoping to make money or friends, then that is not the way to do it.

If you simply want to annoy people, then sure, go ahead. You will annoy a few, they will flag the map/game for avoidance and then your map/game will wither in obscurity.

I just play-tested your map prior to approval and I was having fun. I wasn't even close to finishing when the 100-spore waves started coming. While yes, I could easily beat them off by then, it made it hard to play, so I just quite your game without finishing. If that's what you want from people playing your game, you got it. Congrats.

Wow, settle down.  People really don't like challenges around here, huh?  Stop taking this personally.  It's a game.

Too many maps you know you are going to beat after a certain point.  Call it the "point of no return" where it is simply not possible to lose unless you do something completely boneheaded.  It is somewhat of a weakness of this game.  I decided to try to make a map where this was not the case.  You cannot rest on your laurels with this map.  You have to continue pushing forward.

I think over time you will be like...man...How DO you beat that map.  And you will go back and try again.  I was discouraged many times too, but that is what I love; a game/map that you hate, but can't put down.  You WANT to win.

Easy maps give you no satisfaction when you win.
I guarantee you will be like..."Wow I can't believe I finally did it", when you finish this one.

Also, I give plenty of warning throughout the map.  Please heed those warnings (and I say this in the map...I mean it).
Lastly, this map IS rated *** EXPERT ONLY ***.  There is a reason for this.

Good luck, all.

Tips below (spoiler tags needed below...)
Tip: It is VERY difficult to beat this map after about 25 minutes, so once again, speed is king.
Tip2: Get to that oupost asap...you can retrieve those nanos and blaster before the creep reaches them if you are fast.  I practically make the node path for you.  Just finish it.

Pyxis_GeeK

Maps can be difficult without the use of annoying spore waves. Stacked emmitters is a good way. You can also limit the amount of tech that is readily available to the player. It seems when people choose to make a map difficult by adding in many spore waves it's more of a copout because the mapmaker can't think of how to make a tough map. There are many insanely hard maps that do not use spores at all but just a few stacked/delayed emmitters do the job nicely.

Trust me people around here like challenges.

Kharnellius

Quote from: Pyxis_GeeK on November 19, 2010, 12:39:07 PM
Maps can be difficult without the use of annoying spore waves. Stacked emmitters is a good way. You can also limit the amount of tech that is readily available to the player. It seems when people choose to make a map difficult by adding in many spore waves it's more of a copout because the mapmaker can't think of how to make a tough map. There are many insanely hard maps that do not use spores at all but just a few stacked/delayed emmitters do the job nicely.

Trust me people around here like challenges.
Hmm, I don't know why people consider them annoying.  They are only annoying if you don't plan for them, I guess.  Either way, I had already utilized everything you had mentioned above.  (Stacked emitters, tech that must be retrieved)

Give it a try first before implying it is no good or simply a "copout" because it has spore waves.

Blaze