Main Menu

Vote maps off

Started by Karsten75, March 29, 2010, 12:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xylnalya

Quote from: Sqaz
And if hacking is so easy why isn't there anyone with a 10000 on every story map (but since I know nothing about coding that'll probably has a very good reason)

You could do this through different ways, either by adding a cheat with AS3 scripts to CW, which you'd need the flash CS 4 suite for. It's easy enough to get it cracked, but usually it'd take 133€ (student's version) to 800€ ('normal') to get it - So if someone has this, he's most likely a frustrated mapmaker or at least someone who's got some knowledge bout programming.
Other then that, and more possible, is by using either a flash-compatible hex editor to access the program while it's running, altering values such as your energy production or, depending on how Virgil coded the game, whether the totems are charged or not (and essentially winning a game once you alter the totem values, whatever else may happen). There's also the chance to write an utterly different, specified program, for altering CW data. This'd mean a new program, either in flash or any other language you desire, to be coded by someone. Prolly the least possible variant.

*edit*
Lol, forgot:
It's prolly not been done caus you could cheat with an ingame exploit (fixed by Virgil) and because there was no need for a proper trainer. This could change depending on what's getting changed XD

UpperKEES

I agree that requiring a score from the author would help a lot. If he/she doesn't want to play his/her map one more time, it's probably not worth it. And I agree with sqaz that a map maker should be able to finish his/her own map. If he/she can't, it will most likely be a bad map anyway. I also agree with the max upload of 1 map per person per day or week.

Regarding the hacking: I don't think it will be a big problem. Do you really think people will use such tools to prove they can finish their own map? Come on!

But most important: don't tell people how to cheat here! Don't put those idea's in the minds of sick people and certainly don't help them.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Karsten75

Quote from: UpperKEES on March 30, 2010, 12:11:30 PM
But most important: don't tell people how to cheat here! Don't put those idea's in the minds of sick people and certainly don't help them.

OT: Not talking about game exploits is called "security by obscurity" and is not ever a good strategy.

Xylnalya

Karsten just wants to know how he could hax  ::)

Quote from: UpperKEES
Regarding the hacking: I don't think it will be a big problem. Do you really think people will use such tools to prove they can finish their own map? Come on!
Should the score rule come, I would.

Quote from: UpperKEES
If he/she doesn't want to play his/her map one more time, it's probably not worth it.
All my maps are worthless =C
*edit* K, some are XD But just a few XD

Capn Trey

Quote from: Karsten75 on March 29, 2010, 12:14:10 AM
Craigslist does this with posts - not always well, but overall it does work.

I propose that if a map gets 10 straight 1-star votes and only one better vote (to allow for the owner voting on his own map) and the map has no scores posted at that time, the map be deleted from the map inventory. That way the impossible maps can be voted off by the community.

LOVE IT!

I like that if there is one score posted it is safe, so all you have to is prove its winable to keep it on the board... no matter how many poor scores it gets.

Kamron3

Quote from: Katra on March 29, 2010, 03:25:45 PM
How about a sticky 'Report unwinnable maps' thread on the forum?