Main Menu

Viscosity

Started by Krell, April 28, 2010, 05:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krell

I was trying to make another map earlier and realized that it was going to be a horribly easy map rather than the hard map I had originally pictured it as because the creeper wasn't quite runny enough. So I got to thinking, would it be too hard to make it so you can edit the viscosity of the creeper? With this you could make the creeper thicker to where even on a flat map it would ooze very slowly and pile high, or make it run almost as fast as water through trenches and rarely ever stack on itself without a decent barrier in the way.

Not sure if it had been mentioned before or not, but I haven't seen a topic concerning it so I figured I'd post my idea.

DarthVader12

UpperKEES

The creeper isn't modelled as a fluid, but as a heat flow through a conductive surface, although I can imagine it looks like that. I often use it as a 'fluid' in my maps, as this is easier to use in certain contexts / stories.

Please note that you can still influence the flow of the creeper: an emitter with 10 intensity and 1 second interval emits the same amount of creeper per minute as an emitter with 1 intensity and 0.1 second interval, but the effect will be different. Play with it to suit your needs.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Kamron3

I like the ability for there to be a colder(slower moving, more... ooey) creeper and a super-hot (extremely fast moving... less ooey) Creeper.

This idea is rocking!

_k

Krell

Ok, good point, but even as a heat flow you could make the surface more or less conductive of heat thereby attaining the wanted results.

Ranakastrasz

Quote from: UpperKEES on April 28, 2010, 06:02:45 PM
The creeper isn't modelled as a fluid, but as a heat flow through a conductive surface, although I can imagine it looks like that. I often use it as a 'fluid' in my maps, as this is easier to use in certain contexts / stories.

Please note that you can still influence the flow of the creeper: an emitter with 10 intensity and 1 second interval emits the same amount of creeper per minute as an emitter with 1 intensity and 0.1 second interval, but the effect will be different. Play with it to suit your needs.

Not necessarily true, When a emitter emits creeper, it SETS the creeper amount to the intensity, It doesn't ADD it. so the 1 intensity would never get above 1 height, and would emit much less than the 10 intensity.

UpperKEES

True, so there is a difference. What I wanted to make clear, is that 10 levels of creeper will spread much faster than 10 times 1 level of creeper (assuming the elevation level of the emitter is not flooded by that amount yet, because then the flow will be even less affected, as you correctly indicate).

knucracker

The spread rate of the creeper is at its mathematical maximum currently.  This is so that the creeper can spread as fast as possible with the minimum amount of calculation/iteration over the simulation.  It is this way so that CPU usage will be minimized.  Now, as UpperKEES said, increasing the intensity makes can make it move faster since a greater intensity propagates outward faster by overcoming edge loss from 'evaporation'.  This has a limit, though.

Of course it would be easier to make it move slower or to have things that can push it around..... and these kind of things might make an appearance in a hypothetical second game.... (just saying...) :)

UpperKEES

Owww, I can almost feel the hypothetical fans blowing!  ;D

Krell

So does it need to be said any more that Vigil rocks?

UpperKEES

I think that can't be said enough....  8)