Pandora Map Search?

Started by GVS, August 23, 2010, 11:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GVS

when searching for maps i often find myself with a map that i really like and so i go back to the creator and look at all of his other maps (if any) usually i end up with a one hit single situation and it really gets me down. I remembered this website pandora.com (not advertising) that has a SQL? or something that takes a song or artist and deduces the traits into tags. it then extrapolates similar (within boundaries) songs (not artists) with a decent amount of similar traits/tags. The iTunes (not advertising) Genius works in the same manner. Could something like this be used on the maps? (considering the sheer number of maps now)
Hey hey hey, if u click on the link below good things will happen for me (and maybe you too but who cares anyway) So click on it!

(^^^) shark

http://www.omgpop.com/?r=zpfy

UpperKEES

Keywords/tags: map creeper emitters hard pools OR ocean hills OR mountains
Maps found: 1207
Please refine your search.

Keywords/tags: nice job
Maps found: 25
Search extremely successful.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

GVS

Hey hey hey, if u click on the link below good things will happen for me (and maybe you too but who cares anyway) So click on it!

(^^^) shark

UpperKEES

Tags for most maps would be the same and when they're not they probably tell you more about the storyline than the terrain.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Sqaz

Quote from: UpperKEES on August 24, 2010, 10:51:13 AM
Tags for most maps would be the same and when they're not they probably tell you more about the storyline than the terrain.

Maybe he means that you could give your maps tags like "puzzle" "Mountain" "Island Hopping" etc... So it would be easier to find maps you like.

GVS

no what i meant when i said 'tags' was not a user-entered tag but one deduced from the map via the script/program. For example: when a map goes in for approval it is put on queue and eventually gets to the Editor. let's call the editor the script/program (whichever u prefer) and the map is still the map. The map goes thru the editor and then can go one of two ways: Approved or Disapproved. Let's call these the 'tags'. Now we know that the map can have 1 of two tags placed on it: approved or disapproved. it is then the program's job to send the map to an array of other maps with similar tags. (on the maps page or not). Therefore the tags are placed onto the map by the program which also discerned the proper tags. Now this was just an example. it can work for traits like difficulty, time, creeper intensity, available tech, etc.

(^^^) shark

Sqaz

Quote from: GorgonVonSchlichenbacher on August 24, 2010, 11:37:05 AM
It can work for traits like difficulty, time, creeper intensity, available tech, etc.

Oh, yes a time tech something like 0min-5min, 5min-10min, 10min-15min and so on to 60+min where have I seen that before. :P
Also the intensity and tech availability doesn't say anything about a map, I never woke up and said to myself: "This day I want to play a map without storage and mortars, but the average creeper intensity may only be 3.7  :P
And how can a computer program define the difficulty of a map?

GVS

Quote from: Sqaz on August 24, 2010, 11:42:43 AM
Quote from: GorgonVonSchlichenbacher on August 24, 2010, 11:37:05 AM
It can work for traits like difficulty, time, creeper intensity, available tech, etc.

Oh, yes a time tech something like 0min-5min, 5min-10min, 10min-15min and so on to 60+min where have I seen that before. :P
Also the intensity and tech availability doesn't say anything about a map, I never woke up and said to myself: "This day I want to play a map without storage and mortars, but the average creeper intensity may only be 3.7  :P

Ok. first off: you're forgetting the first step in the process. The first thing that will commence the process is by placing a map as a groundpoint for the search. The point of the process is to find similar maps to the groundpoint map via the process above (in one way or another); if you ask how to do that with all of the maps then the maps would be run thru a program to predetermine the traits before submission. (i don't know about the older maps. they could be put thru it separately whenever someone gets the time to do it) So here would be the order of events: (in the event that all maps (new and old) have traits tagged to them) You play a map and decide you really liked it and wanna play another one that is similar. You go to the maps page @ KC and browse/find/paste url (whatever it will be) into the search box. The search looks thru its database of maps and finds maps with reasonable amounts of similar tags and sends them back to you. It's then your part to decide whether or not you like what you see.

But you have a good point. I don't know how the program can determine difficulty. (maybe its something virgil could figure out :3)

(^^^) shark

Pyxis_GeeK

I dont think there will be a program that can look through maps and determine difficulty. I think the only way this will work is by user entered tags as mention before:

Quote from: Sqaz on August 24, 2010, 10:59:36 AM
Maybe he means that you could give your maps tags like "puzzle" "Mountain" "Island Hopping" etc… So it would be easier to find maps you like.

I dont think Virgil would have the time to figure out how to do this either with the update to CW1 and the CW2 project. This may be something he could look at when he is finished with that. I see what you would like to get from this. I just dont think its possible with what we have now. As I said the only way this could work would be user defined tags then doing a search from that. Virgil could have an entirely different viewpoint on this of course.

ontheworld

I never woke up and said to myself: "This day I want to play a map without storage and mortars, but the average creeper intensity may only be 3.7  :P
[/quote]

i never even wake up thinking about CW...

Pyxis_GeeK

CW is life. Its all I think about when Im at work (like now ;) )

GVS

Ok ok ok ok   >:(

for those of you who still don't get it just go to pandora.com and you'll see what i mean.

(^^^) shark