7.Micro-rift
8.Maker
9.Ore Rig
10.Launcher
11.Phantom Coil
12.Tech dome
We have become the creeper...

Kithros

It completely depends on the map - but obviously on a normal map nullifiers, beacons, reactors, and at least 1 weapon are completely mandatory and can't be rated in any way. On some maps you will need to either have microrifts or at the least tech domes to be able to increase packet speed, or your weapons will run out of energy before the packets can even reach them (I suppose if you had enough weapons on the sidelines you could replace them over time, but that would be beyond tedious - and again, microrifts are useless on very small maps. Phantom coil goes from useless in maps with no phantoms to almost mandatory in maps with phantoms (you actually can make do with flooding your tunnels with friendly creeper however but it makes it a lot harder).

Of fairly typical maps, I would have something like:

Blaster N/A
Nullifier N/A
Beacon N/A
Reactor N/A
5. Maker
6. Tech Dome
7. Launcher
8. Microrift
9. Shield
10. Phantom Coil
11. Ore Rig
12. Repulsor

But, as said, this can completely change based on the map - shields and phantom coils are situational but extremely valuable in the situations that they are good. The ore rigs are rated so lowly because I usually make do with the remnants and don't need to make ore rigs, but if there were no remnants they would be rated higher (depends on map again), and creeper makers get rated a lot lower on uphill battles. Repulsors have their uses, but they're fairly limited on the maps currently in existance and never mandatory.

ctuna

This thread is repetitive. Recommend elimination.

J

You can't win the game whiteout nullifiers, beacons and reactors (you also need blasters, launchers OR makers)
4. Blaster
5. Launcher
6. Tech Dome
7. Maker
8. Microrift
9. Shield
10. Repulsor
11. Phantom Coil
12. Ore rig

UpperKEES

Quote from: J on May 23, 2011, 09:50:07 AMYou can't win the game whiteout nullifiers, beacons and reactors (you also need blasters OR launchers)

- A beacon isn't always needed on a small map, especially because you can move your ship around.

- Theoretically you could win by building a nullifier just with the 1 energy per second your ship supplies, so reactors aren't necessary either.

- On a map without emitters or gateways (but just plain Creeper like in the top pool of Day 1), you don't need a nullifier. The same goes for acquisition missions.

- You don't need a blaster or launcher for relatively weak emitters; makers work fine too.

Conclusion: it all depends on the type of map and making a ranking is completely useless. When one type of units would always be better, this game would be a lot less interesting than it is now. I'm sure I can design a map that would reverse any ranking listed.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

J

I was actully talking about the whole game

Emmote

UpperKEES hit the nail on the head. It's very dependant on the map.

The earlier story maps I pretty much only used Makers. In the later maps I barely even considered makers.

The only thing I can think of that are more or less constant in any map I play are Launchers. My favourite unit by far.
My mind rebels against stagnation.

UpperKEES

Quote from: J on May 23, 2011, 01:32:10 PM
I was actully talking about the whole game

You are missing my point entirely. Of course there's a good use for any unit (which actually is my point). There just is no best unit in general.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview