My money is waiting at Steam

Started by WitherVoice, August 10, 2011, 10:04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WitherVoice

I am not out to give the impression that I'm heartbroken or angry, because I am neither. This isn't a complaint... rather a notice.

I played the Creeper World demo on Kongregate, and I thought it was absolutely ace. One of the best games there or anywhere in its scope and genre segment.

At Steam, I have a huge library of games by now, both triple-A titles and lots of various indie games. The moment I see Creeper world there, I will buy it, simple as that. Until I see it there, I will not. Unlike this other cad who posted on the forum earlier, I am not going to break the copy protection to play it "for free" either; that is just not how things should be done.

I see that you've contacted Valve/Steam before, and I just want to say that I hope you persist in your efforts to get your games on there. It's a good platform both for marketing and distribution, and as others have said before, I believe it has the potential to boost your sales.

I'll pick up the demo to CW2 and check it out, as well.

Thanks for the attention.

knucracker

If you want to see the game on Steam, send them email....  whether or not CW1/CW2 is on Steam is up to them.   It helps when they see lots of interest from their customers for a particular indie title.

CobraKill

Never trust a computer that doesn't fit through your nearest window.

Grauniad

Whether a game is hosted at Steam is not only up to the game developer, but also up to Steam to accept a game. So don't put it all on one side of the equation.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Ebon Heart

Doesn't steam keep a rather large portion of the money made off your game for themselves, as well?
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

Echo51

From what i heard steam takes 40-60% off indie developers, which is a huge loss and would mean a higher sell price..
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...

Grauniad

Increased volume can make up for the higher cost of selling the product. After all, Virgil's marginal costs for selling extra copies are minimal.

Ebon Heart

How Much can steam really cost to keep running anyways? I doubt they have a huge amount of employees, and sure it costs SOME money to keep their servers up, but not that much!

Grauniad

knucracker

The issue isn't really money or what cut their online store takes.  That's how online stores work (from apple to amazon).  Steam has to want to carry a title before it shows up in their store, and I'd be happy to let them sell CW1/CW2.  I'm not holding it back from any online store because of the cut they take.... Folks usually have this impression, since they assume that a store would be willing to sell a game as cool as CW.

In the case of Steam, I believe they need to see desire from their customers for the indie game in question to be included in their store.... and I encourage anyone who wants to see CW1/CW2 on Steam to let them know.

WitherVoice

Thanks for the timely and helpful response!

I have sent an email inquiring about Creeper World to Steam. I hope others will do the same.

Ebon Heart

I'm sure it'd be cheaper to buy it directly from Knucklecracker... and it's not like Virgil's untrustworthy or anything. After all, he's also platuis. :P http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=7109.0

Back on topic: I'll send an email to steam. lol. And while I'm at it, I need to complain about my portal 2 download. :P

UpperKEES

This is the address you want to send your e-mail about CW2 to: steamworks@valvesoftware.com
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

DarthVader12

You can by the game at knucklecracker.com then under library click on add a game. Under that click on a non-steam game. Let the list load and select creeper world 1and 2 and click add. If you play the game from stem and it will show you are playing it.

But if you must by it directly from steam then you have to email steam.