Secret Raining Level (Volume II !)

Started by warutel, June 21, 2011, 03:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warutel

The Secret Raining Level strikes back!

No, seriously, in case you wondered what was up with:

http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=7275.0

First of all, some quick answers:
1. The "secret map" does not exist and it can't be accessed in the normal game (so it is of course not supported by Virgil). Anything you saw in the videos is just "faked" for playing purposes.
2. I'm not beta.
3. I don't have access to the editor.
4. I didn't "hex-edited" the map files.
5. That is why you can't easily replicate what I did and why I just uploaded saved games. As they are saved games, restarting them means you start with the normal code mission (code "Secret Raining Level").

--

About why I created the joke, multiple reasons:

1. I wanted to see if a feature to "add creeper" at fixed positions/times would be nice to have in CW2/maps/editor (i.e. a "event" system). I thought making a video would be the best way to see! It turns out that this is true, as it allows to create maps that get harder with time (usually, missions are hard in the beginning and easy in the end; this could change somehow that). For instance, you could create rain that gets heavier/denser with time (like in the first video I posted). Maybe the current map editor has something similar, I don't know :) A scripting language would be awesome as well, although I bet too slow/complex for most purposes.

2. I wanted to check whether there could be problems with people manipulating/faking high scores (which would pretty much destroy competition). Virgil is already aware of the details and hopefully soon this won't be possible anymore.

3. I wanted to inspire some of the first future maps out there based on these ideas (UperKEES ;) ).

--

If you are not beta, you can still have fun with the saved games I uploaded (attached here as well). If you are in Windows, place them in %appdata%/CreeperWorld2. If you are in Linux, do so in .appdata/CreeperWorld2. Then replace one of your "slotX.cw2" saved games with one of mine and load the saved game in CW2. Have fun!

QuoteWarutel's Rain & Warutel's Flood!

The first one is easy and should be fun for anyone. The second one is harder and I think people will like a map like this. I tried to balance them the best I could in half an hour, so please have mercy

Pyxis_GeeK

Hmm your first post got locked. Are you sure you want to go down this road again?

Secret Raining Level

UpperKEES

Thanks for all your info! :)

Quote from: warutel on June 21, 2011, 03:29:47 PM
1. I wanted to see if a feature to "add creeper" at fixed positions/times would be nice to have in CW2/maps/editor (i.e. a "event" system). I thought making a video would be the best way to see! It turns out that this is true, as it allows to create maps that get harder with time (usually, missions are hard in the beginning and easy in the end; this could change somehow that). For instance, you could create rain that gets heavier/denser with time (like in the first video I posted). Maybe the current map editor has something similar, I don't know :) A scripting language would be awesome as well, although I bet too slow/complex for most purposes.

I think the current functionality already allows for most (or all) of this. You would need to transport Creeper out of a pool by using pin fields and unpin the fields when the 'rain' arrived at the top of the map. All of this can be timed (and repeated).

3. I wanted to inspire some of the first future maps out there based on these ideas (UperKEES ;) ).

I'll certainly use some of it in my future custom maps. 8) Thanks again!
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

knucracker

I spoke with warutel and told him it was ok to post a new topic and explain what he did... so it's all cool.

As for replicating the maps using the current map editor functionality, I was thinking the same as UpperKEES....

Pyxis_GeeK

Quote from: virgilw on June 21, 2011, 03:51:57 PM
I spoke with warutel and told him it was ok to post a new topic and explain what he did... so it's all cool.

Great. I just didn't want other people to see this and screw around with the game. The end doesn't always justify the means.

ontheworld

Quote from: UpperKEES on June 21, 2011, 03:43:47 PM
Thanks for all your info! :)

I think the current functionality already allows for most (or all) of this. You would need to transport Creeper out of a pool by using pin fields and unpin the fields when the 'rain' arrived at the top of the map. All of this can be timed (and repeated).

I think he means just literally spawning creeper somewhere, as now you'd have to get creeper in a room for the sole purpose of telporting out.

thepenguin

so, what is the procedure for editing the files
We have become the creeper...

ontheworld

Quote from: thepenguin on June 21, 2011, 05:43:00 PM

I doubt if that's desirable to be in public forums... I'll wait for V to be the judge though

Ebon Heart

Quote from: ontheworld on June 21, 2011, 05:44:23 PM
Quote from: thepenguin on June 21, 2011, 05:43:00 PM

I doubt if that's desirable to be in public forums... I'll wait for V to be the judge though
I'm with TP, at least discuss it in beta... at the least.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

UpperKEES

Quote from: ontheworld on June 21, 2011, 05:36:58 PM
I think he means just literally spawning creeper somewhere, as now you'd have to get creeper in a room for the sole purpose of telporting out.

It doesn't need to be a dedicated teleporting room; of course you can also take some Creeper from a cell adjacent to an emitter (preferably one that's initially hard to reach).
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

CJY101

(usually, missions are hard in the beginning and easy in the end; this could change somehow that).

This cw1 most of this,because cw1 editor is not strong,so many things to consider,test time is too long.
If you want hard in the beginning and hard in the end, must consider the player's ability and road speed,this will become very difficult,maybe
There are so many people do not have the patience to want to finish it.(You can try my map),
But cw2 have saved the game.So ... it will become easier.

(i.e. a "event" system)

Can make a strategy game in the story Missions?
However, it takes more energy to editing and production ..
Everyone's originality,I looking forward to...
( If the translation is not good, don't care, please ) ; My custom maps: 101 mission

Kamron3

as warutel explained, the file was edited in a program that edited memory such as Cheat Engine, but in his words, he apparently coded his own memory scanner program to do this.

Fortunately, Virgil knew for the most part that this was possible.

warutel

Quote from: Kamron3 on June 21, 2011, 10:32:56 PMas warutel explained, the file was edited in a program that edited memory such as Cheat Engine, but in his words, he apparently coded his own memory scanner program to do this.

Hmm... I think you don't understand what I did.

Anyway, I am not sure Virgil wants you discussing this here. I didn't/won't give details in the public area on purpose.

burguertime

Quote from: warutel on June 22, 2011, 12:51:23 PM
Hmm... I think you don't understand what I did.

Anyway, I am not sure Virgil wants you discussing this here.

You mentining highscores hack in the beginning, and your blatant lying in the first thread lead to one of these paths:

1) you can edit the game memory and change the map on the fly. (the CERN youtube video hints at it). Later you save the map with the changes.

2) you can edit the savagames files.

3) you made your homebrew map editor.

4) you hacked the game executables.

IMNSHO there are no options left. Options 2 and 3 are ok and will earn you geek creds, option 1 may open a door to cheating, option 4 should make you burn in hell.

Since you stated in OP (item 2) about hacked highscores, I think its 1)
Don't make a slog just because. Be like Master Mapmaker SPIFFEN:
Quote from: themaskedcrusader on October 05, 2010, 05:09:33 PM
(...)Difficulty is subjective. (...)
SPIFFEN chooses to rate each map as trivial because they believe that the difficulty of the map depends on the capability of the player.
BAD RATING: MEASUREMENT OF MAP HARDNESS.
Quote from: DumbCreeperGamer"Ugh, me no finish map, map too hard, ME RATE ONE.
oOga OoGa to you too.

Echo51

#4. Hacking? you mean getting a program that does such for you after just renaming the .air to another file ending and opening it?
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...