Game Mechanics Quiz 1 - How much do you really know?

Started by UpperKEES, October 18, 2010, 11:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

Quote from: Sqaz on November 28, 2010, 12:35:17 PM
I'd like a new quiz, but having multiple choice makes it easier

Yes, a bit easier to guess, but many people were doing that anyway. Still only 25% chance to guess right.

harder to make fitting questions.

It actually won't. I found it pretty hard to always create open questions for the previous quiz with for instance a number as answer and this has restricted me in the selection of certain topics.

Edit: But I'll reconsider.... I could end up with a mix of open and closed questions. :)

Also the fact that it isn't first comes wins, will allow everyone to copy mthw2vc's answer :P.

This is indeed possible, but nothing prevents mthw2vc (and anyone else) to post their answer just before the deadline or, even sneakier, change it in the last seconds.... ;)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Kapoios

Quote from: UpperKEES on November 28, 2010, 12:13:18 PM
I was thinking of a second quiz with a different format:
- Multiple choice questions (A-D), maybe slightly easier.
- 2 questions a week, posted simultaneously on for instance Monday.
- Anyone can answer and earn a point at the end of the week for every good answer.
- Copying answers from others is possible, but so is changing/editing your answer 5 minutes before the deadline. ;)

Not sure if people like another quiz, but it's pretty clear that more mechanics are available to be explored. I don't want to set up a poll for this, but will start a new one when let's say 10 people are interested. (It does cost quite some time, so I'm not doing it for just 3 participants.) Just let me know (in any way)....
I'd very much like to see yet another quiz. I enjoyed trying to figure out the last few questions, since I started reading the forums mid-quiz. And, of course, I learned lots of stuff by reading the answers to the previous ones.

I like the multiple choice idea. I wonder if this messageboard allows posts to only be readable by you. I'm sure I've seen that before, somewhere.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Kapoios on November 28, 2010, 02:05:43 PM
I learned lots of stuff by reading the answers to the previous ones.

Same for myself. I have been testing more than when I was developing new maps! This is probably also the reason I found more bugs doing so....

Quote from: Kapoios on November 28, 2010, 02:05:43 PM
I like the multiple choice idea. I wonder if this messageboard allows posts to only be readable by you. I'm sure I've seen that before, somewhere.

It would also be possible to use PM's, but that would mess up my mailbox. I think it's not too bad when people look at each others answers, especially when these can be modified in the last minutes before the deadline. This will introduce some other quiz tactics! ;) I may choose for a mix of open and closed questions though.... not sure about that yet.

Sqaz

That last minute changing is a bit unfair for people living in another timezone than you. I can easily change my question just before the deadline, but what about people in the U.S?

UpperKEES

Quote from: Sqaz on November 28, 2010, 02:29:46 PM
That last minute changing is a bit unfair for people living in another timezone than you. I can easily change my question just before the deadline, but what about people in the U.S?

I wouldn't be so sure about that, because the tournament deadline for instance is at Sunday evening midnight (0:00), which is 7 AM on Monday morning here in Europe. I noticed you're often up early and online in the morning, so you'll be fine. ;) And of course you don't have to change it....

Sqaz

Quote from: UpperKEES on November 28, 2010, 02:41:14 PM
Quote from: Sqaz on November 28, 2010, 02:29:46 PM

I wouldn't be so sure about that, because the tournament deadline for instance is at Sunday evening midnight (0:00), which is 7 AM on Monday morning here in Europe. I noticed you're often up early and online in the morning, so you'll be fine. ;) And of course you don't have to change it....

7AM would be perfect for me, but for instance I do not expect Kapoios to wake up at 6 AM to change his answer.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Sqaz on November 28, 2010, 02:58:39 PM
I do not expect Kapoios to wake up at 6 AM to change his answer.

Me neither, but it's up to anyone to decide if they want to 'play' like that. I can also alternate the deadline each week by ie. 8 hours, but I'm afraid that could lead to confusion.

And by the way, Kap has often been in chat with me until 6 AM discussing game mechanics, so I guess we're both just as crazy. ;D

Katra

I would be interested in another quiz; especially one where I might have a chance to participate. (The first one I never had a chance since almost every question was answered before I even saw it.)
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

UpperKEES

Quote from: Katra on November 28, 2010, 04:39:51 PM
I would be interested in another quiz; especially one where I might have a chance to participate. (The first one I never had a chance since almost every question was answered before I even saw it.)

Yes, this is also a reason I like everyone to be able to answer. For the previous quiz I tried to spread the posting time of the questions a little, but people that are online more often just had an advantage. For the next quiz everyone will have a week to think and experiment with the 2 questions.

Okay, that makes a total of 3 people interested. I need 10....

SPIFFEN

PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

Nate Dog

Colin

Yeah, I would definitely like to see this continue!  ;)
To fight back the Creeper all you need is. . . What? Energy.
My maps CW1 are located here try out my MIS series.

Blaze

thepenguin

We have become the creeper...