Day 18 help

Started by Katra, May 16, 2011, 03:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katra

So far I haven't been able to do better than partially contain those dang creeper 'monsters'. (By attacking the center creeper pool) for a while. On my best run I held on long enough for the left side drones to escape before the combination of those and escaped bits of creeper monster wiped out too much of my network.
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

UpperKEES

I believe the most important thing is: lots of energy, weapons and both fire range & rate upgraded to the max.

You'll be surprised how quick you can take out those heavy bad guys. :)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Joshman2934

You can place two layers of shield on top of where the creeper monster comes out of

TypoNinja

Quote from: Joshman2934 on May 16, 2011, 04:11:09 PM
You can place two layers of shield on top of where the creeper monster comes out of

I never thought of that.

I ran and hid.

Dig into the mountain right beside you to get some space to safely plant some reactors (just don't breach the pool on the far right). After that 4 blasters (set up vertically at the pool lip) should let you contain the creeper pool even when a Space Invader drops into it. Get some blasters on the left to hold off the drones and that's taken care of (I used three, two might do it).

Space Invaders that go left flow back into the pool anyway, so set up some blasters and a launcher to pelt their spawning pit and keep it under control. Eventually you'll empty it out. Which lets you safely expand left. Biggest trick is balancing the need to expand your reactor collection, digging out the mountain so you have a place to put them, and building more weapons to hold off drones, phantoms and large collections of creeper.

Took me a few tries before I felt out a build order that didn't leave me starved. Launchers are a big help, but they also cost 50 energy. Try to squeeze one out a the wrong time and it can backfire hard. 2 launchers and a hand full (3-4) of blasters can completely stop the space invader spawns, and that's wicked, but squeezing out the 100 energy for 2 launchers in between everything else is a challenge.

knucracker

I'm like you on this one.  Shields are definitely the clean way to go about it, but I still like taking out the invaders the old fashioned way.

mthw2vc

Hmmm, I just used a few shields and a single launcher... You always have plenty of time to prepare (With possible exception for a couple of the bonus missions ;)), you just have to use it properly...

UpperKEES

Yeah, shields works fine against the 'space invader' (that I really like by the way; can you imagine all possibilities for custom maps in the future?) The real trouble comes later on.

Bear in mind that day 18 is an acquisition mission: you don't have to kill all creeper or destroy all emitters & gateways. Why make it harder on yourself than necessary? Unless you like hard of course.... 8)

Cotters

Time the creeper-monster's attack. After it attacks, if the shield block(s) is/are low on health, destroy/replace them before the next attack.

When I did the top/left pool with the drones, i attacked it from the top. Tried it from the bottom, and it didn't work out so well for me. Also, i found it helpful to attack from 2 points on the top; to thin out the drones. good luck.

Katra

I never thought of shields. Tried combined blasters and launchers (with some success until the invader remains took out too many of my reactors) good creeper (less effective) and repulsors. (Epic fail.) *Crosses fingers and goes to try again.*

Edit: Victory after an epic battle.  ;D Shoulda invested more in tech earlier, but I'm not gonna try for a better time now.

BTW I did attack the top left pool with drones from the bottom - then finished the job from the top once the creep was thinned out.
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

Krell

no one ever seems to remember shields. I discovered they interrupt fields by accident when an invader clipped the shield and creeper came flying off it. at which point I realized shields are a lot more useful that I had originally thought they would be.

thepenguin

Quote from: Krell on May 17, 2011, 03:01:50 PM
no one ever seems to remember shields. I discovered they interrupt fields by accident when an invader clipped the shield and creeper came flying off it. at which point I realized shields are a lot more useful that I had originally thought they would be.

hmm, sounds like you got lucky (it only clipped the side)

you're not the one who fired repulsors into the middle chamber on day 13
We have become the creeper...

sepahewe

I have a completely different solution. Take out the source from behind, and then clean up the mess.....

First grab the crystals (duh)
Move the ship over the left chamber (place it 2 squares above)
Line all available spots with reactors
Use 4 blasters and 1 launcher to get the first pool
Nullify the the emitter
Don't worry about the creeper in pool 2, just place a nullifer between the second emitter and the gate above....

You have time to do all this before the first monster appears.... after that you you just have to clean up all remaining creeper and start preparing for the lower levels....

Grabarz

If this was the only way, good luck for the newbies! :)

This mission took me a while actually, counting the awesome lag that made the game go 4x slower :P
And I think I used more than 90% possible space for reactors.

carderw

I have problems with this level as well i tried to follow the pictures, but i can seem to get it done before the creeper monster is released.  ???

UpperKEES

Quote from: carderw on May 17, 2011, 07:06:54 PM
i can seem to get it done before the creeper monster is released.  ???

Can or can't? That superdrone is supposed to give you trouble. Many upgraded blasters are the answer. Give it to him! ;D