Main Menu

Recent posts

Farsite Colonies / Custom Map #5162: It's Pronoun...
Last post by AutoPost - July 26, 2024, 11:05:57 PM
This topic is for discussion of map #5162: It's Pronounced 'Creeper'

Author: Gobby
Size: 512x16
DISCUSS ON DISCORD
How is there a hard way?

I started with a conventional approach in the only reasonably clear area--the upper right.  It was very easy.  Direct assault is even easier.  How do you do hard??
Gameplay discussions / Re: Did "Terp" come from the D...
Last post by BilboGCL - July 26, 2024, 09:50:41 AM
As I'm a German Hobbit, I can tell you, I've never heard the word "terp" outside of Creeper World -  closest word I can think of is "Tarp", these tents w/o "sidewalls" ;)

Greetings from The Shire!
Gameplay discussions / Re: Did "Terp" come from the D...
Last post by Karsten75 - July 26, 2024, 09:02:54 AM
Nobody went through that complex thought process. It was simply an abbreviation for "terraforming pod". :) 
Gameplay discussions / Did "Terp" come from the Dutch...
Last post by kinderterp - July 26, 2024, 06:39:22 AM
In Creeper World 3 and 4, a good definition of TERP might be "A terrain adjusting tool which can be used to create, remove, or modify terps and dikes"

Except for the fact that the English noun 'terp' seems pretty rare (at least to my somewhat limited vocabulary.) I only learned today that it is an English word (Comes from Dutch 'terp'). It must super rare in German because it is not in the german version of wiktionary, but it is used on German wikipedia (but points to the page 'Warft'). Maybe more common in Northwest Germany? Anyway, it means (from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terp):

QuoteA terp, also known as a wierde, woerd, warf, warft, werf, werve, wurt or værft, is an artificial dwelling mound found on the North European Plain that has been created to provide safe ground during storm surges, high tides and sea or river flooding.

I thought it is neat how closely that is related to what Terps in creeper world are good for creating. I see at https://knucklecracker.com/wiki/doku.php?id=cw3:units:friendly#terp that it says:

QuoteThe Terp (Origin TerraPod) terraforms the terrain for tactical attacks or defenses. It cannot terraform cells occupied by creeper.

So are the related definitions between 'Terp' in Creeper World to the real-world term 'terp' just a coincidence? Or did the pre-existing word influence the naming used in Creeper World?

According to etymology information on wiktionary, "terrain," "Terra," and "terraform," all descend from Proto-Indo-European root *ters-. And terp descends from Proto-Indo-European root *treb-. And the info on wikitionary that I've seen doesn't seem to show any interrelationship between the two.
Colonial Space Map Discussion / Re: Custom Map #11211: Funtime...
Last post by oldnewby - July 25, 2024, 05:31:37 PM
Great score time Martin... Now its time for you to show us how to do the map the hard way... 
Spoiler
Once started it seems to be getting easier...
               https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3296745629
[close]
Spoiler
Don't despair if everything gets wiped out after just a few seconds... Just maybe.. the spore towers have targeted enough of your units and help is on the way...
[close]
Farsite Colonies / Custom Map #5161: Hopeless Vis...
Last post by AutoPost - July 25, 2024, 02:59:31 PM
This topic is for discussion of map #5161: Hopeless Vista

Size: 512x128
DISCUSS ON DISCORD
Farsite Colonies / Custom Map #5160: Fish No Fly ...
Last post by AutoPost - July 24, 2024, 11:18:59 PM
This topic is for discussion of map #5160: Fish No Fly Plane

Size: 128x512
DISCUSS ON DISCORD
Farsite Colonies / Custom Map #5159: war 1. By: ...
Last post by AutoPost - July 24, 2024, 07:22:52 PM
This topic is for discussion of map #5159: war 1

Author: Danu
Size: 192x120
DISCUSS ON DISCORD
Colonial Space Map Discussion / Custom Map #11211: Funtime DMD...
Last post by AutoPost - July 24, 2024, 02:52:52 PM
This topic is for discussion of map #11211: Funtime DMD map #6774 Easy & Hard Challange

Author: Oldnewby
Size: 193x193

Desc:
Haven't seen any of this type of map in Collonial Space for a long time... Here is an opportunity to learn an unusual game playing technique... Play it the standard hard way then the fast easy way as a challange...