CW:US game play

Started by Karsten75, September 23, 2011, 11:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

I'm sure this is not news for the old hands here (and they probably can beat my times by a mile anyway).

This is probably true in general, but this is specifically about the #9 map - The Gamer by UpperKEES.

I was replaying the game on Kongregate to earn the badges and I noticed that my score was substantially better than the first time I played it and made a video. So I made a second video. All that I really did was to be more careful of my energy management and less scared of the creeper, since Virgil tuned it down so much from the original.  As a result, my time improved by 25% from >12 minutes to just >8 minutes.

So, as a lesson, here is  my first video at 12 minutes:

And here is the same result at 8 minutes: 

Now imagine what correct play (more careful energy management, optimal placement and building of units) will gain on top of that. I guess if one wishes to be ultra-careful, one can make this map in less than 5 minutes?

Pity the Kongregate scores doesn't transfer to Virgil's database so that one can study placement of scores on a ranked list.

Echo51

You can see the induvidual scores for it by selecting the achivements tab, and then clicking the tiny "view highscores" link. Through most of them seems cheated, or is that just me?
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...

UpperKEES

Quote from: Karsten75 on September 23, 2011, 11:59:46 AM
All that I really did was to be more careful of my energy management and less scared of the creeper, since Virgil tuned it down so much from the original.  As a result, my time improved by 25% from >12 minutes to just >8 minutes.

[...]

Now imagine what correct play (more careful energy management, optimal placement and building of units) will gain on top of that. I guess if one wishes to be ultra-careful, one can make this map in less than 5 minutes?

I finished it with 8834 points on my second try, which would be a time of about 7:55. Maybe 6 minutes is possible, but I'm not sure about 5. I guess we'll find out soon.

Quote from: Echo51 on September 23, 2011, 12:13:58 PM
Through most of them seems cheated, or is that just me?

Yeah, I noticed that too. Many many fake scores on Kong. :(

I'm actually surprised with all those 9800+ scores for each map that there are only 3 totals between 120,000 and 130,000.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Karsten75

Quote from: UpperKEES on September 23, 2011, 01:02:57 PM
I finished it with 8834 points on my second try, which would be a time of about 7:55. Maybe 6 minutes is possible, but I'm not sure about 5. I guess we'll find out soon.

Wow, are you sure? I didn't really go all-out to set a record score, I figure it is basically pointless on Kongregate, but my time is not very far off of yours....

[goes away considering....]

Karsten75

Oh, BTW. I put all 12 maps in a playlist.

MadMag

I wish you had talked on the videos.. Maybe a little like The Angry Video Game Nerd, but in another way :).
That would have been number uno watch for me :)

Karsten75

Only my mother can understand me... :P  If you want to listen, listen to Michionlion's videos...

MadMag

I would love to hear that speech impediment when you game :)
I don't care, just do something more than silence.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Karsten75 on September 23, 2011, 01:16:22 PM

Wow, are you sure? I didn't really go all-out to set a record score, I figure it is basically pointless on Kongregate, but my time is not very far off of yours....

[goes away considering....]

I didn't go all-out either (yet), and still played way to conservative with my old strategy in mind, but it also means you're just a good player. :)

UpperKEES

Maybe 6 minutes is possible, but I'm not sure about 5.

Correction: 5 minutes should certainly be doable.

Karsten75

Quote from: MadMag on September 23, 2011, 01:41:22 PM
I would love to hear that speech impediment when you game :)
I don't care, just do something more than silence.

Ok, I've started putting some random YouTube audio tracks on the videos. HTH.

MadMag

Fisherck

It was very neat watching 2 separate runs at the same time. I can't say I have ever done that before. It is pretty interesting... :)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

Colin

Heh, I beat the game fairly early on, but I
never got the badges, oh well It was still
a lot of fun.  :P

I actually held the top 10 for the first week
until the people started cheating for scores.
(on Kong my screen name is killatron46).
To fight back the Creeper all you need is. . . What? Energy.
My maps CW1 are located here try out my MIS series.