Day 20 - Tips

Started by Gman, May 19, 2011, 10:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gman

!Somewhat of a spoiler alert!

Spoiler
I can't seem to get through the initial layers of day 20. I've tried running 6 dark beams simultaneously and mirrors to snake through the ground, but I run out of energy crystals before I can destroy all of the gates. The superdrones then proceed to annihilate everything.
I've also tried digging into chambers, shielding them off, and C-bombing them, but that just opens them up for drones to come through. 
When I run 2 dark beams (one on each enemy digging entrance), I can't seem to be able to advance at all, especially since the beams kill friendly units. With only 2, I can have blasters on the entrances, but even about 15 of them can't take down the superdrones.
I would prefer to not use the beams at all, but with the drones it is impossible not to. Any tips for me to get me on the right track? Maybe build a certain amount of dark beams, etc..? No walkthroughs please. 
[close]

Kithros

Conversion bombs also do a lot of damage to drones that run into them, or dark beams can be turned on/off for short bursts to clear out  the drones quickly - you don't actually *need* anything but conversion bombs and nullifiers up till the end though if used properly.

mthw2vc

...you ran out of energy? xD
Wow, I never thought anyone would ever actually do that, I only use half of it when I try. I think I need a break!

You're obviously using way too much of that huge energy reserve you have all at once, if it is a problem...

Katra

The trick is to not have to take on all the upper layer enemies at once. So I went after the two gates that put out enemy excavation packets first.  (Well; actually I converted the top two pockets of compressed creeper on the way to attack the gates.  ;)) By not having to engage on numerous fronts I was able to clear the upper levels with one dark beam and assorted mirrors, conversion bombs, and conventional weapons.
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

thepenguin

Quote from: mthw2vc on May 19, 2011, 10:23:53 PM
Wow, I never thought anyone would ever actually do that, I only use half of it when I try. I think I need a break!

You're obviously using way too much of that huge energy reserve you have all at once, if it is a problem...

and how is that possible, mthw?

40+ packets per second in the last chamber
We have become the creeper...

Gman

UpperKEES

Quote from: thepenguin on May 20, 2011, 04:59:13 PM
40+ packets per second in the last chamber

Yeah, just 4 DB's is already 48 packets each second. Add some blasters, nullifiers and CB's and a starting player will be out of energy in no time.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Gman

I actually did do it as mthw2vc said, and ended up with half energy crystals left when the
Spoiler
nexus was destroyed
[close]

I managed to rush the excavating gateways with conversion bombs and a single dark beam, then took the rest of the chambers easily as I only had to manage them one by one. Clearing the whole top out only one beam and a couple conversion bombs saves energy. Never built a single blaster or launcher. I took on the bottom chamber with 8 dark beams initially, but shut down 4 of them once most of the drones were cleared.

Michionlion

ok, i need help too. i did the layers before the thing, but how should i assault the last chamber? none of my attempts worked.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Kren

Dark beams are your friend. You probably heard that somewhere else in this thread. Here's how to use these effectively:
Spoiler
Dark beams are very expensive to make, and to arm. Plus, they cannot be moved. Rats! If only you could make their beams go to other points of the map without building a new one...
Spoiler
Aha! There it is, right next to the dark beam on the menu! The dark mirror! Better start thinking with portals mirrors. The blue preview beam helps, but if you are good at spatial reasoning like me, you pretty much won't need it. Just build mirrors!
[close]
[close]

Michionlion

wow... one db, with enough mirrors, can take out all the creeper around it... thx.  i finished it.  awesome!
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

MadMurphy

I have been doing this map a lot recently trying to figure out how people have been able to complete it so quickly my best time is only 22min so far if some one wants to send me a message or something about the trick to getting around 10min I can sleep easy again.

Ebon Heart

When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

TypoNinja

Quote from: mthw2vc on May 19, 2011, 10:23:53 PM

Ok seriously man, three minutes? You do voodoo.

Fisherck

3 minutes 1 second. 8)

The key to this map is just rushing it. You have the energy, so do not worry about wasting it...
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.