Did "Terp" come from the Dutch/German/English noun "terp"? Or just coincidence?

Started by kinderterp, July 26, 2024, 06:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kinderterp

In Creeper World 3 and 4, a good definition of TERP might be "A terrain adjusting tool which can be used to create, remove, or modify terps and dikes"

Except for the fact that the English noun 'terp' seems pretty rare (at least to my somewhat limited vocabulary.) I only learned today that it is an English word (Comes from Dutch 'terp'). It must super rare in German because it is not in the german version of wiktionary, but it is used on German wikipedia (but points to the page 'Warft'). Maybe more common in Northwest Germany? Anyway, it means (from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terp):

QuoteA terp, also known as a wierde, woerd, warf, warft, werf, werve, wurt or værft, is an artificial dwelling mound found on the North European Plain that has been created to provide safe ground during storm surges, high tides and sea or river flooding.

I thought it is neat how closely that is related to what Terps in creeper world are good for creating. I see at https://knucklecracker.com/wiki/doku.php?id=cw3:units:friendly#terp that it says:

QuoteThe Terp (Origin TerraPod) terraforms the terrain for tactical attacks or defenses. It cannot terraform cells occupied by creeper.

So are the related definitions between 'Terp' in Creeper World to the real-world term 'terp' just a coincidence? Or did the pre-existing word influence the naming used in Creeper World?

According to etymology information on wiktionary, "terrain," "Terra," and "terraform," all descend from Proto-Indo-European root *ters-. And terp descends from Proto-Indo-European root *treb-. And the info on wikitionary that I've seen doesn't seem to show any interrelationship between the two.

Karsten75

Nobody went through that complex thought process. It was simply an abbreviation for "terraforming pod". :) 

BilboGCL

As I'm a German Hobbit, I can tell you, I've never heard the word "terp" outside of Creeper World -  closest word I can think of is "Tarp", these tents w/o "sidewalls" ;)

Greetings from The Shire!
Hey, come to the dark side Discord, we have cookies!