Calling all turles

Started by Pigster, April 11, 2010, 06:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigster

In response to the Editor's Picks topic, I disagree. I like playing games in which I have to turtle. I like to have to build up to a certain position in which I can hold back a massive attack. If I can't work out how to get to that point quick enough, I will lose. So I will try again, until I work out how to do it. Once I've worked that out, I like to work out how to do it again, only quicker and hopefully complete the level quickly.

I like to/hope to create a level in which there will be multiple stages required before one is at the 'I could leave my pooter all alone and nothing bad will happen stage'. I need to blow my own trumpet, and cite my 'The Hobbit' level, to explain what I mean. I created the level to have four stages - 1. to clear the imediate platform, 2. the main creeper wave appears en mass, 3. the creeper can overwhelm the two mortars you previously thought sufficient to hold the wave back forever, 4. the spores need fending off.  If, at any stage, you are slow, you will likely lose the level. If you make a mistake, you might complete it, but not as fast as someone who doesn't make this mistake.

A number of people have said how much they liked my 'The Hobbit' level. I hope what I have writen about above is what they also enjoyed about it. If so, or even if not, I ask poeple to suggest levels to me which are in the style of what I like to play.

UpperKEES

I also prefer maps that can't be overviewed from the start. Maps where positions taken DO matter and maps where I have to defend some terrain and expand slowly to be able to build up my final force.

When I create my own maps I want these to be a challenge to myself, but I noticed many players don't like 'tricky' maps or maps that force you to do things in a certain way (although I consider finding this way an interesting part of solving the puzzle). Apparently most people like to build/fight more than plan/think during playing and don't like to restart a map several times to find the best approach.

Because of this I changed some of my future maps to allow for more freedom in building positions, but still enforce certain stages by smart placement of the available techs. This way you can prevent maps from developing exponentially, which often causes the second half of the map to require only straight forward playing.

My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview