Great Chronom maps

Started by Karsten75, August 22, 2010, 10:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

I'm starting this topic as a placeholder for non-linear Chronom maps I've played. That way, perhaps other players will play the same maps and we can compare scores and experiences:

Post interesting dates or fun maps and I'll move them to the top post.  If you post a map, please help me by making the description the hyperlink and not the date, unless the only reason for the post is a fool's map with only a date - see how I formatted the other entries.

Perhaps in the fullness of time, Virgil will also implement a "follow player" feature so we can track other players to play the same maps as they have.

Well here goes:

National independence days:

Significant dates in history:

Birthdates:

Notable dates:

Random dates:

Fool's mate (maps that can be won without building a weapon)

Karsten75

I've added today's map as the one that can be completed fastest of all maps found to date.

knucracker

Yeah, today is a "fool's mate" map (can be complete without firing a single shot).  Oct 28, 1970 is another one.
I wonder how many such maps exist....

What is interesting about them is that the best score comes down to exactly where you relocate the city, and the upgrades you apply, etc.

Karsten75

Quote from: virgilw on August 24, 2010, 09:57:02 AM
Yeah, today is a "fool's mate" map (can be complete without firing a single shot).  Oct 28, 1970 is another one.
I wonder how many such maps exist....

What is interesting about them is that the best score comes down to exactly where you relocate the city, and the upgrades you apply, etc.

Just found that one, but you must have taken your blindfold off to play it... :P

I'll add the "Fool's mate" category to my list.

BTW. Do you play chess and is that why you are familiar with a "Fool's mate?" If do, you of course know the difference between "Fool's mate" and "Scholar's mate?"

knucracker

Well until I read the wikipedia article  about it, I had no idea it was known by so many different names around the world.

SPIFFEN

I think that the Fool's mate list might end up as an very long list =P
You can add August 25 2010 to it as well =)
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

SPIFFEN

QuoteChronom bug date (fixed) - July 5th - 1996
The year is wrong , it should be 1969 , and i pawn your score =P
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
How to make links

UpperKEES

Quote from: Karsten75 on August 22, 2010, 10:06:38 AM
The end of Chronom time - December 31, 1999

Shouldn't the year be 9999? The link takes me to December 0, 9999. On the site the days seem to range from 0 to 30 (instead of 1 to 31). The strange thing is that this date lists 2 scores, but when I click 'Jump to Date' without changing anything it displays an empty table.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

SPIFFEN

Post it in the beta thread as well or send Virgil an note about it .
How to make links

Kamron3

Karsten75

Quote from: UpperKEES on August 25, 2010, 04:58:25 AM
Quote from: Karsten75 on August 22, 2010, 10:06:38 AM
The end of Chronom time - December 31, 1999

Shouldn't the year be 9999? The link takes me to December 0, 9999. On the site the days seem to range from 0 to 30 (instead of 1 to 31). The strange thing is that this date lists 2 scores, but when I click 'Jump to Date' without changing anything it displays an empty table.

I fixed the typo but there is an error in the web page for that date.

Edit: Error is now fixed.

Blaze

July 5th 1995

My birthday.
:)

davidp

Here's a fun one.

July 19, 5612

Looks tough, but not that bad actually.  Not much real estate to work with at first.

As I often do, I forgot about the spores and had no defenses when they came the first time.  :(  Luckily I got away with very little damage.

--David

Karsten75

Quote from: davidp on August 26, 2010, 03:05:31 PM
Here's a fun one.

July 19, 5612

Looks tough, but not that bad actually.  Not much real estate to work with at first.

As I often do, I forgot about the spores and had no defenses when they came the first time.  :(  Luckily I got away with very little damage.

--David

You're right, it is one of the more challenging maps and I think you got a pretty good time also (for a beginner :P).

What was your strategy?

Like you, on the first  attempt, I got wiped out by spores. But by then I've pretty much decided that my initial approach was not the best.

Second time round I didn't even attempt to build anything on the low-lying area. I built pretty much on that hill in the left bottom and bridged with two relays to the higher ground in the middle so that I could get a mortar firing into the pit. After that I subdued the emitter on the high spur and then jumped off towards the bottom (south)to connect up the final totem.

Fun map and probably as you say a worthy challenge.

Edit: Oh and BTW, I linked the date in your quoted post.

Edit 2: Revisited and got it under 10 minutes.

Karsten75