AC ore node depletion?

Started by kalafin, March 10, 2013, 11:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalafin

I have watched all the videos and maybe i'm not seeing it. I've searched but cant seem to find a thread on it. like with CW2 when a ore mine is built you would see the ore deplete from the block ending with the processing node self destruct and ore gone but block remained.

I like the nodes / mine graphic for the CW3 but i didn't know if for video reasons maybe the nodes are maxed out, there doesn't seem to be a depletion on them, maybe it's just the video isn't long enough for this to be shown or i'm not seeing it, if there isn't or because of depth unseen in the god mode style. maybe like CW2 if a node is targeted showing the amount left might be in play also... still getting used to seeing the new UI (i like it also, seems to work well during the video).

On the off chance the crystal amount seen doesn't go away maybe a change in color on a harvested node or the ore collector turning red (maybe over heating due to more work and less ore leading to it destruction like in CW2). Doesn't matter to me i will still play it, just wondering is all.

I loved the CW1, CW2 not so much but it was still nice game. i really enjoy playing them for as long as possible and advancement & defeating a board with AC alone was fun on boards which it could be done. Having seen the new unit's for AC deployment and redirecting spent AC will make for some fun long boards.

Thanks for any replies and happily awaiting a completed game for purchase.

Grauniad

Currently ore deposits are inexhaustible - not sure whether this will carry on to the completed game or if limits will be implemented.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Shrike30

I am personally hoping for unlimited. Mapmakers who want a limited amount of AC available can always put siphonable crystals packed with AC on the map, but I really disliked having my AC economy limited in CW2, just because it was a limited resource (on some maps at least) against an unlimited opponent.

Mr.H

I do like the idea of managing your harvesters so they don't overheat and explode. That way you can switch them to high-yield at the cost of high-heat during a raid on the creeper base and then switch it to slow to let it cool down again. Then again this could just be automatic , the overheating, meaning that you need to rebuild you harvesters every once in a while.
Good evening/morning/night/afternoon
You are now reading my signature...
Stop reading IT!

4xC

I pray they stay unlimited. If not, I doubt I will use bombers and sprayers that much because My experiences with limited AC and ore in 2 have made it difficult for me to set personal AC deployment standards unless there were super AC emitters. Not safely knowing that a little AC mixed into your buildings and infrastructure will not hurt you is something I cannot stand in the least AT ALL.
C,C,C,C

hoodwink

I'd enjoy unlimited, because on some maps i'd just like to mess around and fill everywhere with AC. This obviously will take ages, but it's satisfying and impossible (usually) with limited AC.

However, how would the map maker set a limited amount of it?
Stare not into the abyss, or it has hasten in its approach.
~ Hoodwink (thesmish, smish777 or sigil)

DaMetaEX

i think he will add a code line for a limit number most things i have sen that allow limits use the number 0 for unlimited and a set number like 8000 would slowly deplete untill it runs out...just a thought from what i have seen from other games

koker93

Most of the maps in CW2 that use "unlimited" ore have a large AC emitter and a maker sucking it up.  Its hard to hit 600+ AC usage with ore deposits.  And usually the ore deposits are set for max, so it was almost unlimited in CW2 anyway.  If they are unlimited in CW3 you will still have the same issue - how much AC can one ore deposit really create per second. 

UpperKEES

Unlimited anything equals unchallenging equals uninteresting. Cheap ore means useless energy. It's the balancing of constraints that makes this game more than a cheap shooter.

No problem if a map maker wants to supply huge amounts of ore, but it should also be possible to set a limit. If a map maker can only determine the number of deposits (thus determining the max AC output per second), he would limit the amount of possible strategies. Being able to supply many smaller deposits brings a new element into the game; tiny submissions required to reach the main goal.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

DaMetaEX

Quote from: UpperKEES on March 11, 2013, 05:40:51 PM
Unlimited anything equals unchallenging equals uninteresting. Cheap ore means useless energy. It's the balancing of constraints that makes this game more than a cheap shooter.

No problem if a map maker wants to supply huge amounts of ore, but it should also be possible to set a limit. If a map maker can only determine the number of deposits (thus determining the max AC output per second), he would limit the amount of possible strategies. Being able to supply many smaller deposits brings a new element into the game; tiny submissions required to reach the main goal.

so something like diffrent sized deposits small ones produce 1 ore per 5 cycles and more the larger it is. i hope i got that right

Mr.H

Quote from: DaMetaEX on March 11, 2013, 07:37:17 PM

so something like diffrent sized deposits small ones produce 1 ore per 5 cycles and more the larger it is. i hope i got that right
I think he means caps on the ore presence in deposits, which map makers can select to streamline strategies better.
Good evening/morning/night/afternoon
You are now reading my signature...
Stop reading IT!

UpperKEES

Quote from: Mr.H on March 12, 2013, 03:02:15 AM
I think he means caps on the ore presence in deposits, which map makers can select to streamline strategies better.

Mr.H got it! :)

lurkily

Infinite doesn't mean unlimited.  However, I would like to see more expense in getting ore, such as energy maintenance on mines.

UpperKEES

Quote from: lurkily on March 12, 2013, 08:20:13 AM
energy maintenance on mines

+1

This would however make it harder to mine ore at distant locations, so I can see why ore mines work on solar energy now. Once built you only need a guppy to bring back the ore.

Grauniad

Quote from: UpperKEES on March 12, 2013, 09:52:05 AM
This would however make it harder to mine ore at distant locations, so I can see why ore mines work on solar energy now. Once built you only need a guppy to bring back the ore.

Well, you are more precise and accurate in your energy management, but to initially build the ore mine, you'd have to send a guppy out there anyway. One can also assume that the ore mine may have to be defended which would necessitate any combination of Beams, PCs, Mortars and perhaps even Snipers. Adding in a bit of energy for the Ore Mine doesn't seem such a conceptual stretch.  However, I'm not sure programming-wise.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon