Enemy Establishment Enhancement Sugestion

Started by Rushed, November 16, 2012, 10:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rushed

I was wondering, considering in game two, the "Nexus" that you face is being built, but I was wondering if the Creeper could re-build Emitters, Nests, Spore Towers, ext. in game three. Doing so would add another reason to keep creeper away from those locations, but also have it were Pulse Cannons and your other weapons can damage emitters that are not completely re built, but only by .1 health per blast or pulse, whatever you'd call it. Doing so would also make the game semi-easier in levels that emitters need more than one Nullifier to nullify. Just a suggestion, don't know if it is of any use to you or not. If you want to take only portions of this idea, go ahead, I don't mind it being a bit different. Like I said, just a suggestion.

Rushed

Mr.H

Try using this thread http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=11850.0 instead of creating a new one ;)

This was suggested before in the Suggestion Initiative , a sort of last-minute protocol to make the creeper just a little bit more persistent. However then the problem of grinding comes up D:
Good evening/morning/night/afternoon
You are now reading my signature...
Stop reading IT!

4xC

Before this thread possibly gets locked up due to the fact that this topic fits into a pre-existing thread, I have to ask:

What do you mean by grinding?
C,C,C,C

lurkily

Grind refers to an RPG concept, where you fight without making progress to grow stronger for current or future areas.

In this particular case, it refers to the need in CW to fight and fight, often for a long time, long after the only possible way to lose is to commit multiple grievous errors over and over again, a failing of CW2 in particular, due to large maps.

CW3, also having large maps, may possibly face this same problem, which is something we do need to keep in mind while making suggestions.

PS: It's more likely the threads will be merged, than that a thread get locked up just for having a duplicate.

TrickyDragon

Some people enjoy grinding.    I enjoy grinding BAMs in Tera, and occasionally I like to take my time and grind a nice CW map.    I believe that it is up to personal preference and the option might be nice.....
This is Life,  Life happens.

lurkily

Quote from: TrickyDragon on November 19, 2012, 09:42:05 AMSome people enjoy grinding.    I enjoy grinding BAMs in Tera, and occasionally I like to take my time and grind a nice CW map.    I believe that it is up to personal preference and the option might be nice.....
Some people may like it, but many players, upon knowing for a certainty that they are going to win and a loss is impossible, will quit the map, taking their win as a given, rather than grind it to completion.

I don't mind some maps being designed to provide a grind, but I don't think it should be a typical and ever-present feature of the game.

Not familiar with Tera, so I can't comment on that.  EDIT: But I suspect you're referring to grinding to build up resources, which isn't the case in CW - the grind provides no real benefit here.

Grauniad

Quote from: lurkily on November 19, 2012, 10:39:06 AM
Some people may like it, but many players, upon knowing for a certainty that they are going to win and a loss is impossible, will quit the map, taking their win as a given, rather than grind it to completion.
http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=11314.msg76395#msg76395

I have also heard grinding referred to as "turtling." In fact, that was the first reference to that style of play I encountered.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

TrickyDragon

Tera is a live action mmorpg  (aim and dodge kind of action).   
I understand not wanting the prospect of grinding looking over you when you play, I more often thant not go after a swift kill and take out a map ASAP.   
I do believe that the endgame needs some kind of spice to it.....
This is Life,  Life happens.

lurkily

Turtling is an old title given to styles of RTS play - Turtle, eagle, rusher, etc.  The turtle is the one that focuses on impenetrability and fortresses.  Turtles tend to grind as well, because they don't have the aggression to finish a level quickly - they're too tied up in making sure nothing can break through to take the risks needed for a quick kill.

Grinding can happen on CW2 regardless of your play style, of the map design requires it.

4xC

I actually hope that grinding and turtling is less possible in CW3 than it was in most other RTS games I have ever played. But not too much less possible.
C,C,C,C

lurkily

Turtling can be fun - grinding not so much, in my opinion.

The advent of several titans should make the slog through nasty creeper less severe for a turtle player, by giving that type of fortress-builder a heavy armory for clearing out the map with.

Nemoricus

Grinding isn't the word I'd use for maps that have you going through a long, slow, tedious struggle to advance, but with no real threat of losing. It's more of a slog, like a trek through thick and deep mud.....

Ronini

Quote from: 4xC on November 19, 2012, 07:24:54 PM
I actually hope that grinding and turtling is less possible in CW3 than it was in most other RTS games I have ever played. But not too much less possible.

Do you have any suggestions how to make turtling less possible?
As I don't see how you'd do it.
Then again, it doesn't really matter. If a player wants to turtle they can turtle. If you don't want to then don't. If the map seems to demand turtling, see it as an extra challenge to find a way where you don't.

Tpop

I have an idea. It might not stop "turtling" but it would give a reason not to stay too long in each world.  

The idea is simply that the creeper attacks your "secure" worlds. Those worlds that you secured but still has a path to an "in progress" world or just one still having creeper on it. The premis is that creeper is an aggressive thing trying to destroy you and not just on the battle field but from the whole galaxy. So every so many hours of total gameplay the player takes one of their "secure" worlds turns into an "in progress" world, and every "in progress" world that is in front of it with no other "secure" worlds connected to it would then be destroyed making the player have to start from scratch.  

When a world is "attacked" by the creeper it simply puts emitters or what ever was on the power nodes back in place. and with more time that passes more nodes are retaken by the creeper. (so at first its just one or two nodes retaken but after each attack more nodes are retaken) That way if someone "turtles" and takes hours of gameplay for each world they could wind up having to go though an entire world again with a slightly higher creeper level each time.  

this adds 3 ideas to gameplay  
  1 you can loss. if you just sit back and think about your move a lot you will keep getting attacked by more and more creeper meaning you should pay attention to whats going on.  
  2 those who are fast wont have to worry about having to fight the same worlds over and over. this would reward those who are fast with not getting attacked as often or with as much creeper.  
  3 if you do "turtle" build up your base and put down a lot of defenses the game will progressively get more and more challenging for you. that way you can test your defenses on a more powerful creeper forces.

lurkily

One problem with this is completionism.  A lot of players will want to finish every world.  (Crazy folk.)  The more they advance towards that goal, though, the more worlds they will have exposed.  Progress would slow your progress.

Another problem is . . . how to simulate the passage of time?  You could just reset the world.

I don't really like how it applies pressure to move fast, when a good percentage of the market seems to be somewhat OCD.